Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Explorer vs Gs  (Read 4834 times)

Offline peter stuyvesant

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Explorer vs Gs
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:16:48 am »
Just wondering if any Triumph Explorer/GS owners have tried both the GS (not adventure) & the Explorer offroad and can give me some feedback on how they compare. From what i've read, alot of people think that the Explorer is better on the tar but the GS wins in the dirt.
No comments from the KTMers as i don't want an 1190 :o

Offline EtienneKLR

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Explorer vs Gs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:32:57 am »
PS, for me the main deciding factor relates to back up service. BMW has a vast service network and the Triumph network is limited. Although sometimes otherwise perceived the GS is very capable on dirt as much as it is on tar. Both bikes have their merits but I would still opt for the BMW as it is a tried and test concept. Off course that is if you do not want a KTM :biggrin:

Offline KTM2013

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:21:46 pm »
I know you don't want comment from KTM owner, but mates of mine had GS's and all have gone to KTM 990 or 1190. All depends on what riding you wan to do. Dirt, Sand, Tar, gravel = KTM; Tar, Tar, Tar and little gravel = GS or Triumph.

Offline peter stuyvesant

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:50:41 pm »
I know you don't want comment from KTM owner, but mates of mine had GS's and all have gone to KTM 990 or 1190. All depends on what riding you wan to do. Dirt, Sand, Tar, gravel = KTM; Tar, Tar, Tar and little gravel = GS or Triumph.

I have a 990R and have had 4 other KTM's and also rode both 1190's though for a short ride, also had about 4 GS's so I know how they all perform on and off the tar. That's why i was asking for comment from those who have experience with both the Tex & Gs. I want the bike for mostly tar riding but want to be able to do some dirt and would like to know if the TEX is that much more of a handfull off road than the GS.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:52:18 pm by peter stuyvesant »

Offline Coala

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

I have a 990R and have had 4 other KTM's and also rode both 1190's though for a short ride, also had about 4 GS's so I know how they all perform on and off the tar. That's why i was asking for comment from those who have experience with both the Tex & Gs. I want the bike for mostly tar riding but want to be able to do some dirt and would like to know if the TEX is that much more of a handfull off road than the GS.  
[/quote]

looks like you need to stop buying bikes and ride them more  :ricky: :ricky:

Offline Parkinoff

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:01:52 am »
Just wondering if any Triumph Explorer/GS owners have tried both the GS (not adventure) & the Explorer offroad and can give me some feedback on how they compare. From what i've read, alot of people think that the Explorer is better on the tar but the GS wins in the dirt.

Have you looked at the MotoGuzzi? Very nice looking DS bike and the V looks narrower than the BMW boxer. Dunno about back-up, saw one at SuzukiSouth and one at Speedbike Klerksdorp. Sells for around R170 000
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:38 am »
Drop Biker Boy a PM.

He owned a couple of GSA's and now has a Explorer in the stable. He is a fairly competent rider and always raved about the Gs. He recently took the Explorer loaded and with pillion with over Sani. With a slight detour, I might ad ;D
He and girlfriend ended up staying over in a headman's hut, sleeping in his bed :laughing4: :laughing4: Ask him about that adventure ;D

That should give you some idea of the X's competency
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:39:44 am »
Crazy Horse rode with us in december on his explorer. Did Lundin's, Naude's, Bidstone Pass and Baviaans without too much hassle. One stand out thing that the triumph has over the gs is the 16000km service intervals
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline peter stuyvesant

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:24:47 am »
Thanks for the replies. I think i've found what i need. ;)

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:31:35 am »
I have not ridden the new LC but I will quote what a client of mine said about his new LC compared to his old 2005 GS.

"it is only the badges that are the same, the rest of the bike is totally different than the old bikes in a good way"

The client is a competent rider dirt and tar. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:21 am »
I had a Gsa and also the Explorer.

Explorer handles the dirt better. But the front bottoms out quickly.
Progressive springs in the front sorts this problem out  :thumleft:

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 12:36:48 pm »
I had a Gsa and also the Explorer.

Explorer handles the dirt better. But the front bottoms out quickly.
Progressive springs in the front sorts this problem out  :thumleft:

Juis jou ex X wat Biker Boy nou ry. Ek is mal oor daai fiets.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline peter stuyvesant

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »

Have you looked at the MotoGuzzi? Very nice looking DS bike and the V looks narrower than the BMW boxer. Dunno about back-up, saw one at SuzukiSouth and one at Speedbike Klerksdorp. Sells for around R170 000

Went to look at one! Very nice bike but i think it'll be a very difficult bike to sell down the line and i reckon when compared with the GS Lc, the Guzzi is still a few years behind. That said, it comes with lekker ally side boxes and is currently priced @ 146K!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 02:18:25 pm »
Do not do it - you will regret it. I have ridden both offroad - owned only GS's mind. While the Explorer is comfy and capable in the right hands it has also given some owners lots of shyte and does not resell well. Ground clearance is an issue IMO for starters. Personally if I was looking for a new model DS bike I would probably be thinking about the 800 Adv.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:19:54 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 02:49:23 pm »
Do not do it - you will regret it. I have ridden both offroad - owned only GS's mind. While the Explorer is comfy and capable in the right hands it has also given some owners lots of shyte and does not resell well. Ground clearance is an issue IMO for starters. Personally if I was looking for a new model DS bike I would probably be thinking about the 800 Adv.

My personal thoughts as well.....if I had some spare cash to cover the cost of a new bike right now.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »

Before anyone says that a GS is good for only Tar.....& the GS = Geen Sand......take a look @ this video :pot: :pot:

A GS (any bike for that matter, in the right hands)......can do Sand JUST FINE  ;) ;D ;D :lol8: :lol8:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NXwwN8NL1Yo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NXwwN8NL1Yo</a>

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 02:57:40 pm by Bring It On »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 04:52:59 pm »
Yeah and a little windgat wheelie thrown in for good measure - the Husky boys were even struggling to keep up  ::) 

Note: bum never on the seat and weight shift steering.  :3some:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »
Yeah and a little windgat wheelie thrown in for good measure - the Husky boys were even struggling to keep up  ::) 

Note: bum never on the seat and weight shift steering.  :3some:

Yea....love that wheelie ;) :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Offline Biza

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW 1200 GS A LC
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 07:28:48 pm »
That was great riding . . . . :thumleft:
------UNASHAMEDLY  ETHICAL------

Offline Mello

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 04:22:30 am »
I had a '08 GS, the face lift with ESA etc.  a great bike for sure.  I bought an explorer to replace the GS.  A bit unfair to compare these 2 models as the Triumph is much newer, but here goes. 
On road, the Triumph is smoother, more powerful, shifts better and is more fuel efficient.  Ground clearance is not as good, or perhaps you find yourself pushing harder, as the pegs grind the tar much easier.  I've upgraded the front springs and this has helped with better feel but exposed a wallowy rear shock.  I've fiddled with the settings but an upgrade here would be good.  The standard GS suspension was ok, although little feel from the front.  The front would tend to go a little light a higher speeds, particularly on fast sweepers.  It is more forgiving if you do something stupid in a bend like hit the brakes.  The ride by wire on the explorer is great.  Some find it too light but it is very responsive.  The cruise control seemed a bit of a gimmick at first but is great on a long ride.
Off road, the GS was better.  The ESA with a little extra clearance made a difference and seems to soak up washboard type dirt roads better.  The triumph has an annoying traction control setting and is a fiddle to switch off.  You need to scroll through the menu to get to where you want to go.  Leaving it on causes the bike to bog down at the wrong time.  The abs will actually stop you on dirt!  Better switched off but same fiddling through the menu is required.  Slow going is a bit trickier on the explorer as the centre of gravity is higher but at speed on dirt roads, it goes well enough.  My first dirt road riding on the tex was following a mate of mine on his xt660 over some dirt passes in the cape.  Great fun chasing the smaller bike! If you are not going to do too much technical stuff, should be adequate.  My bike is a 2012 so has the mag wheel.
The bmw seemed a bit more solid than the triumph in certain areas.  The afore mentioned dealership options may be a consideration but it depends on what you want the bike to do.  Since I have other bikes, I can put up with some inconvenience. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk