Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Trail Tech vapor thoughts  (Read 2723 times)

Offline evansv

Re: Trail Tech vapor thoughts
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47:25 pm »
Too late, the Vapour's paid for.

It's going to our office in the UK & then it'll be hand carried by one of my colleges via Pakistan to Kenya to me. It'll then go in my suitcase & then home.

Talk about the long way down & around!!

Cost : - just over $100
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline Milaatz

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »
2wdrift , could you please tell me how i could get a hold of runner , shot

Offline CliveG

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 03:03:14 pm »

go look at the range Koso make ... http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/motorcycle/

Woestynhond .. don`t know why they say not for DR .. The one I posted from ebay can get wired to anything.
Just have a look at their range, you find ones with Temperature function, some of their gauges even have a warning if your mother inlaw is visiting your home, so you know to keep on riding.

I got their small separate temperature and volt gauges, prefer that, as the numbers are bigger.
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline pielas

• Moderator: Hunting and Shooting Section
  • Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 07:49:56 am »
Hi CliveG, did you buy one of these KOSO gauges? If yes from where? Did you import or buy locally?  I really like their look, will also be looking at their air/fuel ratio meter: http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/air-fuelratio-motorcycle_gauges/narrow-band-af-ratio-mini-meter-4/

I did contact the head office in Taiwan but have not received a reply yet.
5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the
skid demon!  --- 1962 Honda instruction manual

Offline CliveG

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 11:25:12 am »
 Yes, I have bought a whole lot, speedo`s, Rev/counter`s, temperature and volt meters. The first order I did with Koso America, but the next time, I ordered, they told me they could not sell to me and I had to use Koso Europe.
 I then bought on Ebay, much easier. Mostly I never buy local.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:27:20 am by CliveG »
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »
Acewell make decent speedos, not locally available though! Ebay etc...

SpeedyQuip in PE stocks the Acewell computers 0414841506. I noticed that the Acewell unit uses thicker connecting wires.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »
Saw the koso on weekend on Africa Twin. Water temp, oil temp, rpm and know as well as some other things. Very nice looking unit that was fitted. Want to fit onto my Africa Twin when I fit rally's fairing and 43l touratech tank.
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:56 pm »
2wdrift , could you please tell me how i could get a hold of runner , shot

Sorry I was offline a bit, Runner has offroad cycles in koedoespoort pretoria. He advertises on the forum. You can also PM him.

http://www.offroadcycles.co.za/wmenu.php

Cheers
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline pielas

• Administrator
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
Saw the koso on weekend on Africa Twin. Water temp, oil temp, rpm and know as well as some other things. Very nice looking unit that was fitted. Want to fit onto my Africa Twin when I fit rally's fairing and 43l touratech tank.

Please let me know when you are ready to order, then we can share the shipping costs.

They look good on the pics, but I haven't seen one in real life yet. From your post I assume it looks  :thumleft:

Offline Milaatz

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44:14 pm »
shot for all the comments guy , decided to go with the vapor , will keep u up to date on how its preforming ect, at firsthad a prob with the temperature gadge that stoped working in a day , but then read up that i needed to reset the unit by keeping in the mode and left button in for about 10 sec , now working perfect , its really accurate to gps speed , lights up nicely , epic rpm counter , really like the shift up indicators , not really needed though but fun to play around with , question .............. does eny of you guys now what temperatures the engin may reach of my dr for it to be working perfect and for it to be on the high side and the danger side , shot , will post pics soon

Offline djhep

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 02:45:49 pm »
Hi guys.......
I fitted one to my Dr 650 (see pics if they work).....very happy with it and installation was very simple.
As far as the engine temperature feature goes, i don't know how accurate it is, but you soon get to know what normal operating temperature is. I suppose if there is any substantial change from the norm, then you would at least have a warning of potential problems.

Cheers.

Dave.

ps. Pielas, i fitted the 30 litre Safari tank that i bought from you some time ago.....was very useful on a recent trip in Tosca area.

Offline evansv

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »
Dave.

That's a good looking bike :thumleft:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline Milaatz

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
nice little setup u got there , i thought of takking the stock speedo off and mounting it in its place but then i wondered about the odameter ,my goal is to get it to well over 100000 km , lol , how did you fitt it hey, its looking good :thumleft:

Offline djhep

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »
Hey,thanks for the compliments guys..... :)
My other bikes are used alot less now that i have the DR. I'm really impressed with it as an allrounder.

Milaatz.
The Vapor unit comes with a bracket which bolts directly onto the existing speedo bracket.
Very easy to fit it and it looks almost stock.
If you buy one, just be sure that you ask for a unit that will fit your bike as i think there are various configurations for different bikes.

Cheers.

Dave.

Offline pielas

• Administrator
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
Hi Dave, looks  :thumleft:

Did you turn the throttle assembly upside down, or just route the cables differently? Cant really see on the pic. Cockpit looks nice & tidy.

Offline djhep

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 02:59:41 am »
Hi pielas....
I fitted a new carb, and the supplied cables were a bit longer, so had to rerout them to
get a nice smooth operation.

Offline pielas

• Administrator
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:29 am »
Only see your comment about the Safari tank now. Wow, if I knew it was gonna look that good I would have kept it  ;)

Glad you got it working. What carb did you put in? I have an FCR 39 that I will probably be fitting in the next 2 weeks.

Offline djhep

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »
Hi Pielas.....
Yes, when i bought the tank from you, i planned to fit it for longer trips only, but it looks alot better than i thought so will just leave it on. You also get used to not having to worry about fuel stops quite so much (It actually holds 33 litres, and i'm getting around 600k's on a full tank).
The Tosca/Bray area that i visited recently was a bit more sandy than i had anticipated, and with an almost full tank, the bike was a bit of a handful in the longer deeper sections.
A good lesson was learned though, and keeping the tank under half full it carries the fuel very low down and the bike handles alot better in that environment.

The carb i fitted is a procycle TM40. It makes quite a big difference, and delivers power much more smoothly than the original carb.
Can now bimble around at 80km/h in top gear if feeling like it without the surging.
It's also a bit more economical, and i'm getting 18.5k/litre sitting at 100-120kmh on the open road with a bit of sand roads thrown in.
Previously i was running about 17k/litre.

All in all I'm really happy to be back to basics motorcycling with the DR :)

Cheers.

Dave.

Offline djhep

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:18 pm »
Oops, sorry for going off topic Milaatz.

Dave.

Offline Milaatz

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 04:53:51 pm »
no worries , also looking for a long rang tank so interisted in what u have to say about it :thumleft: