KLE 500 Screen Extension & Tail Plate!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adventure MX

When I bought my KLE the only thing I didn't like about it, was the small screen it had.  From day one I was working out what would be the best way to get more wind deflection, yet it would stay with the lines of the bike.

SCREEN MOD!
Well, I decided to buy some Polycarbonate as this has more resiliant to breaking and bending.  In fact it is so strong that it can bend right back on itself without causing white lines.  Another good aspect is the fact it doesn't shatter like perspex.  So I bought a 3mm bronze sheet and started to shape the screen.  I didn't use any heat and just used a little muscle to bend the corners to the angle that I needed it.  I then used some aluminium strips and bolted the extension to the existing screen.

screenkle500.jpg

SCREEN/GPS MOD!
After a couple of rides I saw that the oem screen was starting to crack where the extension was bolted to the standard screen.  So in order to prevent further cracking and to give the extension more support I decided to support the extended screen from the back with aluminium flat bar.  Riding at 120km/h the screen is taking a large amount of force which puts to much stain on the existing screen.  After supporting the extended screen I saw I could make a mod that would hold my GPS right in front of me.  I had mounted my GPS on the handle bars but it was always a concern as you had to look down to see the info.  As you can see with the mod below the GPS is positioned far better to give you the info required without loosing to much sight on what is happening in front of you.

screengpskle500.jpg

TAIL PLATE
The tail plate is made out of black polyethylene which is 10mm in thickness.  It was cut to
a size of 40cm x 25cm.  I specifically wanted this size as it would cater for the Kappa Tail Cylinder Bag and the Kappa Tail Bag.  I then used a drill machine and a jigsaw to cut the slots that I needed to secure both bags.  The plate can also be turned in it's longitudinal direction to cater for theKappa Tail Bag.  What makes this plate quite nice is that it is very light yet still strong enough to carry a load.

backplatekle500.jpg

Here is a picture with the Kappa Tail Cylinder Bag.  As you can see the tail plate supports the bag quite comfortably.  This means that the bag won't sag over the sides if it is a bit over weight.  You will also notice I have the Kappa Racers Tank Bag.  This is a fantastic little bag which is expandable yet still small enough not to hinder you view on the instrumentation.  Yet it is big enogh to put quite couple of extra's in.

bagskle500.jpg