Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Registering a bike in SA ?  (Read 1054 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ido

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
Registering a bike in SA ?
« on: July 04, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »
Im an Austalian arriving at Johannesburg in August for a 6 months long trip around southern africa, wanting to buy a BMW F800GS .
Anybody know how a tourist can purchase and register a bike on his name ? what are the documents needed and where to apply for them in Joburg ?


Offline JustBendIt

  • Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • ****
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 5,604
  • Thanked: 303 times
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Registering a bike in SA ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »
You will need to apply for a traffic register number - this can be done at any municipal vehicle license and registration office - see application form attached

You will need your passport and 2 photos - once this number is issued you can go ahead and register the bike in your name using your traffic register number instead of an identity number

Any vehicle you intend to license and register on your name must have a valid roadworthy certificate - roadworthy tests can be done at any roadworthy testing centres and usually cost between R300 - R400

Whoever sells you a vehicle will have to complete the notice of change of ownership form - also attached - and give you the ORIGINAL registration certificate

You will then complete the double sided application for registration and licensing form - also attached - and hand this in with the original registration certificate, roadworthy certificate, notice of change of ownership and your traffic register number certificate and they will process it all and reg and lic the vehicle in your name
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:14:57 pm by Jagsding »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline White Rhino

  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 3,927
  • Thanked: 4 times
  • Save the White Rhino
Re: Registering a bike in SA ?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
Just sold my 800 to a foreigner. You need "Proof of some residential address" - a letter from a mate will do - just to say you are residing with him. You also need proof of residency of the owner of the property - if you go the "rental" route and his Identity. You then apply for a traffic Register number at the Licence dept. You can then use that number to transfer a vehicle into your name. Simple.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:11:24 pm by White Rhino »
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline heelrider12

  • Puppy
  • *
  • Bike: Honda XR600
    Location: Rest of Africa
  • Posts: 18
Re: Registering a bike in SA ?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:21 am »
Can anyone confirm how long this process takes? I've heard talk of a waiting period to receive the Traffic Register Number. Is there a mandatory wait time or might this just have to do with how busy they are? Is it possible to expedite the process at all? ???

"We want to make good time, but for us now this is measured with the emphasis on "good" rather than on "time" and when you make that shift in emphasis the whole approach changes. -Pirsig