A walk in the park nearly a walk in the dark.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bokveld

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
    I had my bike s forks done at Alf s place in Kraaifontein.The previous week I  borrowed my son s bike to get back home ( Montagu).On Wednesday I took his bike back to collect mine.Planned to do some business in Worcester and Robertson on my way back.It should be a walk in the park.As usual I took the scenic route over the pass.But it was not to be.In the long bend after the tunnel I noticed some sort of intability.Pulled off and yes, the rear tyre was nearly flat.I carried on to the protea stall a little bit higher up.
    Luckily my wife insist these days that I take a cellphone with me on trips.She even showed me how to work the thing.I called my son in Klapmuts to bring his bike trailer.No signal.OK, I will stop somebody to borrow a pump just to get me in Paarl.I could not believe it .People don t stop.I stood there, thinking of the thousands of kms. on the dirt roads of SA and Nam I did  in recent years with all my patches, pump,slyme,bombs and tyre levers and here I stand in the middle of civilization....helpless.I felt more vulnerable here,than in Nam when I snapped a chain.
    I tried my luck again ,but to no avail.Only God can help me now.But no, I cant hassle God with a flat tyre.After all, it was my own negligence.So I begged for mercy with my fellow countryman again.In the end I had no other choice and He send me a Samaritan with a nifty compressor in the back of his Landrover.We pumped it to 3 bar and I dashed off for Paarl.It only lasted for a km. or two down the other side,but at least now could make contact with my son.
    Well, I learnt a few things from this experience:
    1.Be allways prepared.
    2.People dont stop to help anymore( for good reasons)
    3.God loves his naughty kids too.
So,what does you guys carry as emergency kit for trips like this?