Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Marc D

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Just Ride !
CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:27 pm »
Hey Guys. I am new to this forum but can't seem to find any posts with with photos of guys popping a wheelie. In the 80's this was the bike of choice to display this impressive stunt with. It was built with a dry sump and oil in the frame for a reason. It therefore had an advantage over the XTs of the time.

I 'm not referring to real stunt stuff here, as you see thanks to Youtube. Back in the 80's we believed that you could not wheelie anywhere but straight-on without a gyro attached to the front wheel.

I'm sure that all XR riders are masters at this or have at least attempted a power wheelie or two, even if a "flip" was eventually the result. In my younger days on the 500 RE  a "fender bender" was even possible with the right amount of spectators present to appreciate this feat. There was little as satisfying as popping a balance wheelie in front of appreciative onlookers. ( Was lekker windgat hier op die Wesrand)

Am i just mistaken or is this past time reserved for the superbike boys popping power wheelies every Sunday morning.

Post some pics man ! You too Conrad from ORC.

Cheers Marc.
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:14:20 pm »
Heddles is the wheelie man on the forum.  :thumleft:  :ricky:

I flipped an XR at the old Brikor MX track once. Must have been around '83? I'm busy restoring my old '81 XL500S, and once she is done she will get some front wheel air-time  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »
In die laat 80's was daar ' n ou op Neslpruit,  Callie Venter, een m@erse groot stuk mens,

Hy het 'n XR ge wheelie laat dit lyk asof die voorwiel nooit weer gaan grond sien nie,

Callie is nog steeds in Nelspruit maar ry nie meer fiets nie, het hom so drie jaar terug op 'n KLR 650 gesien wheelie en hy het hom nog steeds maklik gevat tot in vierde of vyfde van Malelane se tol hek af,

Die ouens wat in die laat 80's in Nelspruit uit gehang het sal vir Callie Venter onthou,, af gesien van bike ry het hy somer 'n kroeg  ook op sy eie skoon gemaak,,,,,
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »
Moet eintlik die thread skuif na Genral bike related, dink jy gaan daar meer replys kry oor die onderwerp,,,, ek glo hier is baie ouens van daai era wat vandag ander bikes ry,,,

Offline Marc D

• Just Ride !
CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:29 pm »
Jakkals ek verstaan wat jy se maar dit gaan juis oor fotos van XRs wat wheelie, omdat hulle kan. Almal wil tog op die forum na fotos kyk van mooi XRs, hoekom nie terwyl op die agter wiel nie ?

Ek vra ook juis of daar nie vandag XR eienaars is wat bietjie "wintie " ry nie. Ons soek nuwe fotos, nie die oues van die 80's nie.

Ek het onlangs n' XR 650 gekoop en dit laat my net wonder of die ouens nog so maak, soos jare terug op die XR 500s. Groete.
CURRENT BIKES:'03 Kawa KDX 200,'06 BMW R 1200 GS,'10 Triumph Street Triple R,'13 Honda XR 650 L
PREVIOUS: 70's Honda MT 50 ( 3 Years), '84 Honda XR 500 RE (23 Years), '05 Yamaha R1 ( 9 months)

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:02:50 pm »
Jakkals ek verstaan wat jy se maar dit gaan juis oor fotos van XRs wat wheelie, omdat hulle kan. Almal wil tog op die forum na fotos kyk van mooi XRs, hoekom nie terwyl op die agter wiel nie ?

Ek vra ook juis of daar nie vandag XR eienaars is wat bietjie "wintie " ry nie. Ons soek nuwe fotos, nie die oues van die 80's nie.

Ek het onlangs n' XR 650 gekoop en dit laat my net wonder of die ouens nog so maak, soos jare terug op die XR 500s. Groete.

Ok, verstaan jou thread en hoop hier kom 'n paar mooi foto's op,

Die XR 500/650 reeks het nog altyd 'n soft spot by my gehad, en daai ou 500's het die lekkerste gear ratio gehad om te wheelie,

Ek hou die thread fyn dop

Offline Marc D

• Just Ride !
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:25:50 pm »
Dis reg Jakkals. Ek stem saam Ek kom ook agter dat die 650 L se ratte baie langer is as die 500 s'n. Met laasgenoemde kon jy binne n' paar meter van wegtrek in 5de wees. Die 650 sukkel om 80 km/h te handhaaf in 5de rat. Dis natuurlik gemakliker so op die oop pad.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:44:31 pm »
After Dux has had your bike under "special care", a wheelie is but a twist of the throttle away  :lol8:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Marc D

• Just Ride !
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:23:22 am »
Fuelling is a problem at this stage. Awaiting jets from Halfdaft and will then do Dave's mod.

Offline lecap

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:11 am »
I don't quite get what you are talking about.
XT500; XT550 and all XT600 models were dry sump engines :-\
Only the RFVC XL500's & later the XL600's were dry sump engines. The early XL250 & XL500 (up until 1983 I think) were wet sump.

Why do you think you can't wheelie a wet sump engine?

The one and only bike which you can not wheelie is a Velosolex.

A dry sump engine has no sump under the crank case. If the crankshaft is installed at the same height above the ground it results in a bike with more ground clearance.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Marc D

• Just Ride !
CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:58:02 am »
Ok Lecap you got me there. I was of the understanding that only the XRs of the time had the dry sump which would ensure continuous lubrication of the internals with a prolonged wheelie. When i baught my new 1984 XR 500 RE with the RFVC engine it was the thumper of the day , with all due respect.  

The Honda salesman was probably to blame for this attitude i adopted but wel'll never find him again. I rode that bike for 23 years and sold it still running with only having replaced the timing chain and rings at some point. The engine as such was "bullet proof".

The intention of the thread was not to discriminate against XTs but to solicit photos of wheelies under the XR forum where it was poted ,but it has been moved to this forum by a moderator. Greetings, Marc.

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:17:18 pm »
My record on an XR 500 R is 17 km's............... No problems with the sump  :deal:

XR's and XT's were made for riding on their back wheels only......lol

My mate did 28 km's on an XR but he put it down to take a 90 deg corner then picked it up again.
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline Catchy

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:54 pm »
The only problem the XR has with wheeling is the speedo cable does not like spinning up when you put the front down at speed.It eventually snaps! Ask me I know, just replaced mine caused by this very problem!  :ricky:
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline Marc D

• Just Ride !
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:45 pm »
The Badger, very impressive ! I thought my 4.7 ks was far. Post a pic guys.  Here's me.

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:58 am »
Not a XR but the wheel is of the ground at least. :biggrin:

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:49 am »
Not a XR but the wheel is of the ground at least. :biggrin:

en die voet by die agter rem,,,,,, :imaposer: :imaposer:

Nice wheelie en foto Stoetie,,,,, :thumleft:

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:48 am »
Die voet is daar omdat hy nie by die voor rem kan bykom nie, focus my ou focus! O0

Offline Goatman

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:11 am »
 :sip:
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:01 am »
Lekker pic's guy's....... Thanks  :thumleft:

Goatman........... gooi some of your pic's.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:32 am »
Some more XR pic's......