CAN YOU WHEELIE AN XR ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc D

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hey Guys. I am new to this forum but can't seem to find any posts with with photos of guys popping a wheelie. In the 80's this was the bike of choice to display this impressive stunt with. It was built with a dry sump and oil in the frame for a reason. It therefore had an advantage over the XTs of the time.

I 'm not referring to real stunt stuff here, as you see thanks to Youtube. Back in the 80's we believed that you could not wheelie anywhere but straight-on without a gyro attached to the front wheel.

I'm sure that all XR riders are masters at this or have at least attempted a power wheelie or two, even if a "flip" was eventually the result. In my younger days on the 500 RE  a "fender bender" was even possible with the right amount of spectators present to appreciate this feat. There was little as satisfying as popping a balance wheelie in front of appreciative onlookers. ( Was lekker windgat hier op die Wesrand)

Am i just mistaken or is this past time reserved for the superbike boys popping power wheelies every Sunday morning.

Post some pics man ! You too Conrad from ORC.

Cheers Marc.