Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Thumpers; a triple and 3 midlife crises men through SA and Lesotho/China ...  (Read 7055 times)

Offline XRRX

I’m starting this ride report on behalf of myself; Skolla and Baked Beans. They will add their own opinions/moments as we go on, and lots of pictures will follow…
I’m no priest or angel, but “praise the Lord” for being safely home – all of us!!

This is not about trying to convince you that this little story is the biggest accomplishment in biking the last 100yrs – no, neither can a amateur story or pictures really explain it – but, to me it was quite an experience, not necessarily in terms of biking, but more about life in general – especially in South Africa and Lesotho/ China B ….

It started off as an idea between me and Skolla to do a bit of riding this winter holiday  ::), while at the same time working in a visit to my elderly parents in Bethlehem, as well as a visit to his son in Richmond - Natal Midlands. A small “cheers” to GlenInk while passing Bastervoet was also on the cards  :(. The rest was left to the spur of the moment…  :eek7:

11 days later we’ve travelled 3275km through 5 provinces, as well as Lesotho and Transkei. We stayed 2 days/3 nights at both my parents and his son respectively, and did some local riding while there during the “off” days.
The bikes:
1.   Triumph 800XC (10 500km after trip)
2.   Suzuki DR650 (41200km after trip)
3.   Honda XR650L (20 300km after trip)

Bike problems:
DR stripped front sprocket 20km from destination on Day 4, late at night…  :snorting:
Triumph had 3 punctures on rear tyre - none connected to each other.  :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:
So, actually all 3 bikes behaved impeccably – Baked Beans himself is to be blamed for the sprocket  >:D, but I won’t say anything, as I also held my breath for my XR’s 20000 hard km old chain and sprockets…  :-[

What was bad?
Dust....dust....dust....
Icy cold in places; rained dripping wet near Hogsback and then frozen up!!!
Icy stormy cross-winds for 100’s of kms from Hogsback to Jansenville…
Animals (especially goats); reckless local drivers  :patch:; road works; sewerage running down streets  :o; no logical system or pattern and severe poverty surrounding you for days on end!!

What was good?
We survived unscathed!
We probably saw some of the most beautiful places on earth!  :drif:
Camaraderie  :patch:!  Lots of laughs and partying around fires!   :lol8:

WE ARE FREE AND RODE OUR BIKES UNTILL IT HURT!!!

Here are just a few pics for tonight….

Offline XRRX

:-\

Offline XRRX

:peepwall:

Offline XRRX

:pot:

Offline XRRX

:sip:

Offline Sidpitt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Thumpers Rule!!!
 :peepwall:SUB
If you dont like something, change it!
If you cant, change your attitude.
Dont complain!

Offline robin800gs

Looks like a great ride

Offline Skolla

Ja,dankie julle,wat n trip,alles het goed verloop tot die papwiele begin het,bly maar n geneuk om in grond te kruip,hulle moet n spare wheel verpligtend maak op non tubeless bikes :laughing4:.All and all a very good trip.Sani is alweer baie sleg los en gate gespin deur voertuie

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Very nice, looks very COLD aswell.
 :thumleft:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Dusty

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Lekker julle  :thumleft:     Lyk of dit effens koel was op plekke  :)
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Offline XRRX

Day 1:

Leave George at 11:00 (Baked Beans was late  ::) ) - mostly gravel via Paardebont - Meiringspoort - Willowmore - Aberdeen and then tar to Graafreinet and Nieu Bethesda.
There we slept at the Backpackers, but as it is under reconstruction, the auntie gave us a room and a little flat...  :3some:
But first things first - they have a "cowboy" pub with a bonfire and lots of warming-up liquids  :snorting: The food wasn't very good, but it filled the empty stomachs.
Before bedtime - me and Skolla had a rally with a bit of "100 Pipers" .... :bueller:

The descriptions of the pics is hidden in the file-name...  O0

Offline COLES

Great ride amazing photo,s thank u for sharing

Offline XRRX

Great ride amazing photo,s thank u for sharing

:thumleft:
Your avator is painfully true...  :biggrin:

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Lekker Skolla.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Baked Beans

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi XRRX

Dankie vir al die fotos en die RR. Ja-nee dit was beslis weer n lekker trip gewees. Die sprocket is my fout gewees. Seker tyd om te gaan na ongeveer 40000 km  ??? ???
HONDA XL500S - 1982
SUZUKI DR650 - 2010
HONDA NC700 - 2013

Offline Skolla

Thx Woody 1,ja nee ons ry darem nog so af en toe maar wereld is droog en van die gravel maar rof,gelukkig is ons veilig terug  :ricky:

Offline Lem

baie lekker trip, kerels

dankie vir die deel  :thumleft:

Julle het sopas nog enetjie op my bucket list bygevoeg wat ek dalk in die tydperk van eienaarskap van 'n 650 moet doen
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline XRRX

Day 2:

We "cracked up" early - the outside world frozen....  >:(
Loaded and started the bikes - well some of them...  :peepwall: The DR's 4yr old battery wasn't up yet - so we boiled water in the kettle, poured it over the engine and starter - and yes - she fired up...  :patch:
We started off with the 30k's gravel towards the Lootsbergpass; from here it was a looong day on tar  :dousing:
Breakfast was enjoyed at the KEG in Middelburg, and the rest was boooring tar and regular fuel stops with the XR's 10 l bucket...  ::)
We left Winburg with an early setting sun - had to dodge some road-closure obstacles and flew through "stop/go's", but very politefully !!! :snorting:
Arrived in Bethlehem just before 7 pm after about 700k's... We were met by hospitality only parents can provide, and enjoyed some cold ones over a chinese-braai...  :3some:
That night the 3 bikes cuddled up in my father's garage - with the Isuzu sleeping outside...  :-[
Luckily the majority of bikes in the garage were Honda's !!!  O0

Offline Hermit

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • If there is no dust, I'm on the wrong road ...
(That night the 3 bikes cuddled up in my father's garage - with the Isuzu sleeping outside... 
Luckily the majority of bikes in the garage were Honda's !!!) 

Eishhh .... I am sorry I didn't know you were here in Bethlehem ! I would have loved to have you over at my place. By the way, who is your father ?
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a "drifter" I was born to "ride" alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time = Whitesnake

Offline XRRX

(That night the 3 bikes cuddled up in my father's garage - with the Isuzu sleeping outside... 
Luckily the majority of bikes in the garage were Honda's !!!) 

Eishhh .... I am sorry I didn't know you were here in Bethlehem ! I would have loved to have you over at my place. By the way, who is your father ?

Yes, a pity man - will pm you....  :(
And by the way - Bethlehem is definelately not as cold as many belief - we got clear confirmation on that fact on this trip!!  :deal: