Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice needed for Zim trip  (Read 2381 times)

Online Myrtle

Advice needed for Zim trip
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:16:04 am »
We are planning a Zim trip at the end of August. We pretty much have our routes worked out but need some advice in terms of:

What documents do we need for the border crossing?
Is it worth renting a satellite phone for emergencies or is cellphone cover sufficient?

I would appreciate your advice
There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline OOOOMS

Re: Advice needed for Zim trip
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27:06 am »
Passport, vehicle papers, letter from the bank if and insurance company if still financed.

You will have to pay border tax at the border. (vehicle is approx. R530.00) not sure about bikes but will be less due to the CC of the bike.

Get US$ 1 dollar bills for the toll-gates.

Offline OOOOMS

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:13 am »
Another (safe to have.....) is a police clearance, affidavit. Get it from your local police station.

Online Myrtle

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:20 am »
thanks ooms. sounds like good advice
They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.                                                   Robert Service

Offline Ras

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »
Are you willing to share your routes ?

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »
+1 on the advice that has been given. Another thing to look out for is sub standard fuel. Depending on what bikes you will be riding you may want to add a touch of diesel when refueling to lubricate the fuel pump and injectors. Also I think bikes cross toll gates there for free, but I am not certain and would take a few 1$ bills with just in case.

Other than that its the same old look out for donkeys/goats/cattle and natives walking in the roads.

Oh and if there is suddenly a speed limit for no apparent reason you are nearing a speed trap.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline OOOOMS

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:44:02 pm »
Yip...speed traps in the middle of nowhere..... avoid overtaking trucks or riding over any solid lines.

Watch out specifically for trucks / busses overtaking in oncoming traffic, blind rise or not!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »
Most importantly DONT forget to advise your medical that you are going crossborders.... a lot of people i travel with when asked about this, responds - OH S&$^^....they always forget this.

Online Myrtle

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:18:44 pm »
Ras

Yes should be no problem. We will post routes with ride report.

Online Myrtle

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 02:21:24 pm »
Ooms 2wdrift and silvrav. Thank you for your advice. It is appreciated. Yip we are aware of the speedtraps etc on the tar roads. Any comments on the sat phone idea. You can rent them from Zippisat for R70 per day. Think it is worth it or is the cell phone reception pretty good.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 03:40:07 pm »
I never had any issues with cell reception
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:23 am »
Ooms 2wdrift and silvrav. Thank you for your advice. It is appreciated. Yip we are aware of the speedtraps etc on the tar roads. Any comments on the sat phone idea. You can rent them from Zippisat for R70 per day. Think it is worth it or is the cell phone reception pretty good.

Oi I am 25 if and I am not married to your aunt so i cant be your oom...  :laughing4:

Pleasure man. Enjoy Zim, its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, especially lake kyle right at the great Zimbabwe ruins. +-30km from masvingo.

And if at all possible avoid beitbridge border post, if not just stay calm and keep your eyes open you will get through eventually.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline milesd

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:27 am »
Some general accross border issues
License paper of bike or vehicle, copy is accepted, but to be safe have it SAPS stamped
Drivers License. A learners is NOT accepted outside of SA, you might get away with it, but it is NOT legal.
Proof of insurance, Good to have, get a letter from your insurers that states the countries you are covered in.
If the bike/vehicle is financed, you will need a letter of permission to take it across the border, if the bike/vehicle is in your company name, write yourself a letter granting yourself, from the company, assuming the company is yours, permission to take it across the border.
Your passport of course, valid for 6 months after your date of return from whatever country.
Mozambique, you will need a reflective vest, TWO warning triangles for a vehicle, reflective tape applied to the leading and trailing edges, and 3rd Party insurance, available from any Outdoor Warehouse.
To be safe, do NOT take pictures of border posts, especially Beit Bridge, it is serious offence. At some you will get away with it, but ask yourself if it is worth the risk....
These are the requirements for being accepted in the next country, leaving SA you just need your passport, and bike/vehicle papers, entry back into SA the same.
Namibia you need to pay a road tax, about R100.00
Mozambique at the Komatipoort border we have always used runners, especially when it is busy, but, agree on a price upfront, and ONLY pay when he returns your paperwork. It is not really legal, but it works. On a busy weekend we found it easier to return through Swaziland, no hassles at all.
Botswana you need to pay a road tax, which is a mission, it takes forever, if you go through Martin's Drift, contact Kwanokeng just on the other side, send all your details, they will get this tax paid for you, meet you at the Botswana border side, of course for a small fee, but it is worth it.
VERY Important though, be friendly to all, ask how they are, a smile buys a lot, you are after all a guest in their country, be respectful to all.
For Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, you do not need a Carnet.
You SA drivers license is valid in all of these countries, Malawi included, but for Mozambique I usually take an International License obtained from the AA, I have also made copies of my SA license, it has never happened, but if asked for my license by the cops, they are known to 'sell' it back to you, a copy they can keep, no charge.... :grin:
Also, in Mozambique, if asked for 'lunch money', your money is in the back up vehicle which is AHEAD of you, you only have enough money for fuel......back up vehicle or not..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Buddha

Offline Tronix69

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
wow Traveling Africa can be complicated. very useful info though. very keen to do a Cross border ride myself so good to remember all this

Offline BLK

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 04:36:47 pm »
get hold of "Justblipit" on this forum.They did it about 2 x months ago.(about 15 guys)

cheers

Offline AcidSam

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • Setildas Bed and Breakfast
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »
Get hold of Blipit they were there earlier this year on bikes
2007 BMW F650GS Dakar
Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you have.
We live by FAITH and not by SIGHT.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »
 :sip:And something that might help, always make at least two copies of all your documents, have them certified and put them in different plastic transparencies hand over the copies while showing the originals. Do not exchange money at the border posts, be careful, at the border posts, there are guys there that makes a living out of stealing passports and other documents. Find out what vaccinations you need to have done with medical proof (certified copies)
 Oh yes, If your drivers licence shows a picture of you without glasses and you get stopped with your Raybans, you will get a fine, or have to pay a bribe. The other way round could also be possible.
Google the WEG magazine they have up to date info on travelling in Africa.
 :lamer: 
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »
 :sip: Milesd has given some good advice, I will take seriously. :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.