KLEEEEEEEEEEEE - Advise needed ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrackSHUN

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
I was riding home on Monday evening when I was suddenly in a pool of darkness - headlight no more.
I thought that it was probably the globe, but when switching to high beam I still had no lights, but did notice that the high-beam indicator did flicker dimly for a short while. Dash lights and flickers all still working OK.

Once off the highway and stopped at a robot, I heard an unusual sound, at first sounded like high-pressure steam - I thought perhaps a radiator hose cracked. At the next robot stop I had a better listen and realized the unusual sound was more mechanical and intermittent, almost a "light" metal screech ....

So during the rest of the short trip [got home OK while riding extremely gently] I pondered deeply, and started thinking that the problem was electrical charging related. Started picturing the stator coil had snagged and was busy unspooling inside the motor, or some-such similar horror pic ....

Last night further diagnostics revealed that:
  • 1. Bike starts fine and runs smoothly, but with intermittent mechanical screeching noise - sounds like from the bottom end of the motor ... ?
  • 2. Charging voltage on the battery terminals has dropped fromk the normal 13.8VDC to 12.5VDC
  • 3. Resistance of all stator coils consistent - around 0.6 ohms
  • 4. I recently had to replace the regulator/rectifier, but this seems all OK
  • 5. I took off the side cover and visually examined the stator - no visible porblems [no snagged birds-nest of copper wire that I had imagined]

So, where can I go from here, other than trailering the sad KLE off to the local Kawa agents?  ???

Any advice / suggestions / pointers / warnings / details of go-to WDs in Centurion area appreciated ....