Alternative Ride 2nd March

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
We met at the usual place in Richwood,Today a little later at 07h00 for 07h30.
This was so Camelman could have that extra shot the night before and still make the ride.
I was there at 06h45 and the first to arrive was Giraffe.
All told the following riders came.

XXX                KTM 990
Camelman      KTM 950
Graffe             KTM 640
Sprocketbek   KTM 640
Tok Tokkie     BMW 650 Dakar
XT660R          XT660R
GoGirl             KTM950
Spy                 TTR250
E-Maxx            KTM 950 SE

We got away at 07h50 and the morning was cool, we no sooner hit the road when XXX 990 came flying by.
Luckely only I knew where we were going , so he had to wait at the next intersection.

At the end of Occudale road.

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

Down the Track

PICT0026.jpg

We had an aerial visitor

PICT0028.jpg

One  of our re-grouping stops
Left, E-Maxx , Sprocketbek , XXX (Very Tall) , Spy

PICT0030.jpg

Tok Tokkie doing his thing at one of the gate open and closings

march2008589.jpg

XXX`s KTM 990  didnt quite make the 1000 km mark , because at 911 km(ironically)  he hit the deck and christened that shinny 990 . And I did warn tham all " Keep to the RH Track , its not what it seems " Anyway , no harm done.

The next casualty was , Spy`s  front tyre , one to many thorns , so we changed the tube promptly (once ! )
Giraffe had decided earlier to take out the thorns in his front tyre and had a slow puncture , which he kept at bay with tyre weld.
I must say that GoGirl has really picked up her pace and rides very well now.
We got to Moorreessberg in record time , even with the puncture stop.

The Ou Toppies having a break !
GoGirl (not really an ou toppie) and Tok Tokkie

march2008584.jpg

We were about 4 kays into the next section when some farmer had put a fat lock on a gate,which is actually a public road.
Never the less , we back tracked and got onto the two spoor at Witterberg.
I rotated the leaders so that the faster riders had a chance  not to eat so much dust.
We stopped at Koringberg for the usual COLD BEER and a 30 min. breather and then hit the road again.( Many thanks to XXX for picking up the tab)

Oh ja ! and did I mension the gates,which were all opened and closed

TheAltRide2008II004.jpg

The bridge over the Berg River

TheAltRide2008II008.jpg

Now we were hungry for that Piketberg Mountain road.

The WD kept a steady pace  so there was very little waiting.

On to Goedverwagt and up the mountain , all went well and we stopped under some Bluegums near the summit for a breather. We just pulled away and about 500 m on , I came round  a corner and narrowly missed a cow in the road.
After which we  proceeded to the top, wow ! what a view looking down  into the valley.They say you can see Tablemountain on a clear day.

The view where that the younger folk thought they could see Table Mountain(Proberbly the camera`s eye sight too !)

march2008587.jpg

We made our way down a very steep road to the Piketberg Spur and had a late lunch.

The view of the Cederberg far away in the distance.

march2008588.jpg

When we got there E-Maxx and Camelman had to head back home.

The rest of us had lunch , refueled and looped back on the 2 spoor road to re-do the last strech of our ride back to Koringberg.
The last time I went down this piece of road was about 2 months ago. And I was just picking up a good pace when  " Hello " where did this sinkhole come from ?
I leaned back , kept the throttle open and flew over that hole , my front wheel missed it and my back wheel didnt.My rear wheel bottomed out and went straight through the plastic under my seat, my rear break calliper made a massive dent in my rh Akropovik. But miraculously , I never fell off the bike.
I had to take all my tools out from under the seat and carry them in my ruck sack.

We followed the road through Koringberg ,back onto the tar and turned Left at Moorreessberg to travel at highspeed on a gravel road  to Malmsbury.

Here we bid farewell to each other and made our way home.
Thanks all for making this  yet another great ride..
Baie moeg nou !
Will do the pic thing in the Morning.

(Some of these pics were from the reccie)