Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: sillystunt; suspension bridge & extreme skills challenge.  (Read 837 times)

Offline sillystunt

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
sillystunt; suspension bridge & extreme skills challenge.
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:48:26 am »

out of 130 riders only 8 wanted to try and ride over the suspension bridge that techanical thomas had devised for the xtreme skills challenge.
i was real nervous,after a six month lay off ,all i wanted to do was find out if i could get back in the saddle and be as courageous [silly ?] as i always have been.
i was so nervous that i was feeling sick,i had no idea that my injury would effect me in this way,i now knew that i could be broken and worse still is that i am still not fully functional in my right hand.
 my wife sillyb was in a state,she knew that i had to try it but really didnt want me to step up to the plate.
you see the problem was that no- one had ridden ovcer with a bike before,they had set the skills challengeup without knowing if it could be done!!
everyone was milling around,it was hard enough to walk over let alone go over with the bike.
i could see that even the top gs riders were not voluntering,i spoke to jan from country trax,he would go if there was no one about he said!
i dug deep,sacked up and put my helmet on,this time a small pisspot,i didnt want to swim in the sabie with a heavy fullface.
the entrance to the first uneven log/plank was shitty,too late to turn back now.
i did it,!i was the first and no one could take it away from me,i found out that the bridge crossing was the easy part........
are the challenges getting to extreme for the likes of my old dakar? and what of the telelever bikes? no ways they could handle the huge log obstacles........full report soon.
to all the guys who supported me,thanks very much.but as i told you all...... coming second is like kissing your sister.
what crap is that anyway,giving me a 50 point handicap for being on an old dakar,the handicap should go to the hp2 that beat me[sillyb thinks so anyway] i take nothing from the winner,he is a good sport and a great rider,next time maybe.
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Offline Aquatic

• Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
Re: sillystunt; suspension bridge & extreme skills challenge.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
As you can see Steve, I was shaking more than you. Sorry mate, I thought I had a good one, but my 'mik and druk' was not up to action photos.

It does have an artistic feel about it
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Ratsalad

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:43 am »
Well done, that hard-core!

Offline Aquatic

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:24:58 am »
Hell yeah. Sillystunt's the man to want to go for it first!!!!!!.
After the 4th guy drowned his BLING R80 everybody walked thier bikes accross

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:24:31 pm »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:56:06 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Aquatic

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:01:42 pm »
I refrained!!! I was keen, but didn't want to spoil my weekend at 6:30 in the morning before the out ride

The bridge is 2 cables about 1.5 meters apart, mounted on each bank.
The wood poles(about 40mm diameter) are laid down next to each other over the 2 cables and then fastened down.
In the middle there is a leg (100mm steel pipe) with an angle iron, as wide as the bridge, welded accross the top of the leg to make a T.

What makes it difficult?
1. As you walk on the bridge it creates a wave action in the cables and it moves up and down.
2. As you get to the T leg in the middle of the bridge you realise that is not fastened the river bed, but possibly just dropped into the mud. It moves from side to side about 400mm.
3. It rained Friday night so the grass on either end and the wooden poles on the bridge were damp and SLIPPERY!

The guys that got it right, like Sillystunt, had a constant speed from one side to the other. The guy on the R80 hit the gas to go up the hill on the other side and his rear wheel spun out to the left and he plunged in to right.

You missed out on a good weekend!
I'm posting my report tomorrow

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:30:43 pm »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:56:10 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »