Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3WD's Guateng-Limpopo The Waterberg 2day ride. Report.  (Read 2997 times)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
3WD's Guateng-Limpopo The Waterberg 2day ride. Report.
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:51:49 am »
Planned a 2 day ride from Pretoria to the Waterberg with Splash and Malgat ;D Splash met me at my house on Saturday at 7.10 am and we quickly did some repairs to his tank protectors with cable ties. Left along the back gravel roads to do the 106km to the meeting place at the Pienaars River Hotel ;) One new section of road was so sandy it felt like we were riding on the beach.( Have to go back soon with some noobs. ;D) Carried on through Boekenhoutkloof up to Uitvlugt and too a short- left to the Hotel to meet Malgat who was already there. Here are some pics of the start of the trip up to the Hotel and some of the roads. Malgat and Splash can add there photo's as i am still sorting out all the one's i took  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:01:32 pm by blazes »
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
Re: 3WD's Guateng-Limpopo The Waterberg 2day ride. Report.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:54:44 am »
Here is one of the road to nowhere ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:00:46 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:42:02 pm »
The Route i plotted was from the Pienaars river ramp towards Moreteli, through Tilholwe through Dreigsloot and up to Leeupoort. From Leeupoort we skipped over the R516 and took a short section of tar to Rooiberg where we had lunch at the Koekepan.
After lunch we moved up to Olievenhout to Marekeli and road all along the bottom of the Marekeli Reserve and Rankin's Pass ( In pouring rain.) it seemed like the heavens had opened. From a hot sunny day to a wet, wet, wet day. Nevertheless we carried on riding through the Waterberg towards Vaalwater. Then ??? I NEED FUEL Malgat say's ??? Does that Africa Twin piss fuel  ;D
Nearest fuel stop 40km away. Had to cut the trip short by about 110km >:( Malgat ? have you filled up were the words we reminded Malgat at every stop. ;D We slept over at de Draai just outside of Bella Bella. Wet and Hungry we tried to look for a Gap in the rain to go and eat something. After what felt like hours of waiting we decided to just go. Rain or no Rain. Arrived in Town soaking wet ;D After having a good meal and leaving Malgat behind who wanted to watch the Blue Bulls loose ??? we left for our overnight cottage.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:52:23 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:50:19 pm »
Malgat could not understand what tyre Adv. MX put on for him as it left a strange trail in the sand. ??? Sand tyre ;D Took a pic of Malgat and his Tortoise ;D Rooiberg bar. Malgat and Splash having a cold one ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:57:32 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline Splash

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:08:15 pm »
As usual, brilliant routes, varied terrain and a great weekend of riding. I struggled to get of my bike at the end of Saturday (very happy to be at the Bed and Breakfast) but all came crashing down - luckily not hurt. It took a good nights sleep to really enjoy the "roads" on Sunday. They seemed to fly by. We did take it a little easier as we were joined by two up riders. They had a very "pleasant" trip to Bela Bela which was soon changed to real adverture riding! We got caught on Saturday afternoon in the Waterbergs best weather. No place to hide but to carry on. My camera got a little damp which accounts for my one artistic picture. I hope that my sand riding will be just adequate to negociate a trip in Botswana. Time will tell. The pictures should be self explanitory (easy way out).
Have bike, will ride.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:42:07 pm »
And the journey continues to sandspruit and then up to Marekeli Rankin's Pass ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
hmmmm.....

2 notes to myself:

1, start a thread finding out what the leader and what the sweepers responsibility is on a trip
2, bring camera to download photos and do report tommorrow on the WD forum
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:47:19 pm »
And some more ;) After the storm ??? One of many thundershowers we had to ride through. ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »
Some more before we arrive at our overnight cottage. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:54:56 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:59:43 pm »
The last strech before Malgat decides to tell us. I did not THINK i would need to FILL up. ???
Current Scooters --

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:26:42 pm »
Wow, that look like an awesome ride!

blazes, could I ask you to post the GPS route for me please, or PM if you want.  I'd like to see where you guys went.
Lourens de Lange

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 05:10:41 pm »
The last strech before Malgat decides to tell us. I did not THINK i would need to FILL up. ???
And at last a place to dry out our wet-wet-wet clothes. The cottage and a warm bed. Malgat took the double bed :D He warned us that he snores like a chain - saw. ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »
The view from our front door and a glorius day with NO rain awaits us. I was up before the sun rose and decided to see if i could take a pic or two before we left the comfort of the cottage.
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 05:31:05 pm »
We did some last minute adjustments to the bikes and set off to Bella Bella for breakfast where we were met by two of my friend's who rode up from Pretoria to have breakfast and ride some gravel home. Had to look for some mild roads as it was Martin's first ride on the 1150GS he bought in the forum. I asked where are his glove? Gloves he replied are only if you are going to fall. ???
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:18:40 pm »
Well now it was on our way back home and for a drink to the hotel.

And Malgat marking His territory for the last time before we all part our ways and live to ride another day ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »
Bliksem! Some lekker riding there!  :cool:

Familiar scenery here and there. The route through Rankins is a very enjoyable stretch. :razz:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 08:08:21 pm »

Familiar scenery here and there. The route through Rankins is a very enjoyable stretch. :razz:

Yep  ;D
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 08:16:31 pm »
Nice photies, and looks like you had an awesome weekend. Very nice.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:23:25 pm »
Love the report, its one of my favourite areas. Plus, two up on an 1150 with an AT and a 640, no issues......no brand bashing from armchair riders, none of the we did 210 km/hr one handed over the rocks, this post is as the forum was  ;D ;D ;D its not about the Bikes  :o :o

Brand fairies NOTE PLEASE!!!!!!

Off into the corner  8) OK OK 

:read:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 08:29:44 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 06:07:40 am »

Yep it is JM. Just a pity the heavens opened up as we were going through. Visibillity less than 3meter ;D Need to go soon before the winter sets in ;)
Current Scooters --