Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AMID 2014 & Bike of the Year  (Read 2509 times)

Offline NeilV

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
Re: AMID 2014 & Bike of the Year
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »
I see the KTM 1290 Super Duke won Bike of the Year, love the bike but not sure if I agree.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/And-SAs-2014-Bike-of-the-Year-is-20140808
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
The SuperD is a completely pointless, ridiculous piece of equipment, with no obvious purpose and looks funny... :eek7:

And I really want one sooooo badly......  :biggrin:

My garage needs one.
I need one.
My wife doesn't know it, but she really needs me to have one.....

:thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 02:05:20 pm »
I have to say, I didn't see that one coming. Up to now most journo's thought the S1000R was a better naked bike and it could not beat the Yammy's due to price etc.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »
They got it a bit wrong, though. The Monster 1200 finished third, not the GSA.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
I have to say, I didn't see that one coming. Up to now most journo's thought the S1000R was a better naked bike and it could not beat the Yammy's due to price etc.

Have to agree.  Three surprises in the top three places.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:32 pm »
So BMW took a fairing off one bike and poured some water in the other, and they still get second and third place.
Thank the gods that some other manufacturers came up new bikes and concepts. And yes the Super Duke might be pointless,but man pointless things keep us amused pretty easily.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:06 pm »
Again, the GSA didn't come third. The Monster did.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:48 am »
Well deserved win going to a great bike!

I do find the Wheels24 readers choice interesting:

1 BMW R1200GS Adventure - 1056 votes
2 KTM 1290 Super Duke - 298 votes
3 Ducati 899 Panigale - 233 votes
4 BMW S1000R - 243 votes
5 Ducati Monster 1200 - 163 votes
6 Suzuki V-Strom - 163 votes
7 Kawasaki Z1000 - 121 votes
8 Yamaha MT-09 - 80 votes
9 Yamaha MT-07 - 68 votes

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
I watched the Bike Show this weekend and their reasoning seems flawed, like whitedelight they seem to be saying that the GSA and S1000R are not new bikes and therefore canít win.
There may be merit in that and if the call was to exclude them because they are not new bikes then so be it. However once you have considered it and decided that they should be included as new bikes then it should not have any bearing on the judging anymore.

They also excluded the Panigale 899 because it is too focused, I assume no one wanted to ride it until they got to the 22km. Just like Iím sure the Superduke was even less fun on the highway than the Panigale which still has a bit of a fairing and can at least go fast without you blowing off and the bike getting squirmy.

So if the GSA is a new bike (already decided before the competition) and it is not a one trick pony like most of the others, why did it not win.

Back to my first post, I just had the wrong alternate. I never though the Duke would take it.

All said though I think the Duke won because we all want to feel that excitement we did when we were ten years old, and the Duke does that. Like this reviewer said at the end of his review.
ďIf you only had one day to live you would take the DukeĒ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd_6DGdFj4

The problem is that they are trying to justify the decision logically when it is clearly a heart decision and there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:13 am »
I watched the Bike Show this weekend and their reasoning seems flawed, like whitedelight they seem to be saying that the GSA and S1000R are not new bikes and therefore canít win.
There may be merit in that and if the call was to exclude them because they are not new bikes then so be it. However once you have considered it and decided that they should be included as new bikes then it should not have any bearing on the judging anymore.

They also excluded the Panigale 899 because it is too focused, I assume no one wanted to ride it until they got to the 22km. Just like Iím sure the Superduke was even less fun on the highway than the Panigale which still has a bit of a fairing and can at least go fast without you blowing off and the bike getting squirmy.

So if the GSA is a new bike (already decided before the competition) and it is not a one trick pony like most of the others, why did it not win.

Back to my first post, I just had the wrong alternate. I never though the Duke would take it.

All said though I think the Duke won because we all want to feel that excitement we did when we were ten years old, and the Duke does that. Like this reviewer said at the end of his review.
ďIf you only had one day to live you would take the DukeĒ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd_6DGdFj4

The problem is that they are trying to justify the decision logically when it is clearly a heart decision and there is nothing wrong with that.

Remember that Harry and Mat didn't decide the outcome. They were two of 16 votes. The GSA was thought to be just a GS with some add-ons by many, but that didn't stop it making the final nine, and it didn't stop three other journalists voting it as their number one.
The competition wasn't about what was the best bike out of the nine, but which is the best bike in their class, comparing them to their relevant contemporaries and their predecessors. I can say that the voting was hugely varied, and the outcome close. Realistically, five bikes out of the nine were worthy winners.

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 10:23:23 am »
Someone said AMID was disappointing, not sure what they were expecting as I thought it was great.

The stands were good, the people informed and able to advise properly. I loved the endurocross and being able to meet Wade Young, so talented and not at all full of himself. The X-fighter dudes were incredible, seeing a backflip or Indi from that close is completely different from TV or in an Arena. At points spectators were actually ducking and running away. The SuperMotard racing was crazy, those guys have huge ones.

Then there was still the outdoor and boating stuff which was also great. Just the diving stuff seemed a little disappointing but then I have very little interest in that.

The beer was cold, the burgers were good and the girls good looking.

We took Myshond's boys and they loved it. A great day can't wait for the next one.