Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding the red route like a girl! LDBA and Sandy shores of Mozambique  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Minxy

I've been a bit busy the last while and only just got round to writing a decent RR now. I'll add more pics and stuff soon! Hope you guys enjoy :)

Day 1 - Wow the moment has come at last, the long wait is over and the excitement really kicks in. Johan (HSK), Riaan (Smokes) and I load our KTM Super Enduros, leave Gauteng behind and set off to a picturesque Mpumalanga. Arriving at Bundu Lodge we are greeted by a truly well organized welcoming committee. There's no time to fool around, after the route briefing we soon find ourselves on the road again. We pass some scenic orchards, following a twisty road with plenty of whoops. Half way we stop next to a beautiful little lake for a bite to eat and have a time out with our friends. When we get back to Bundu, we attend the skills challenge and later that evening Jolandie Rust, the first woman to circumnavigate Africa solo gives us a remarkable presentation. Knowing the riding gear and bikes are all prepped for the big day, I hit the hay and try to get some sleep.

No Katzy, you can't go with to LDBA! Das ist verboten!

Yay, finally on our way!

Our super sexy enduro threesome  :3some:

Smokes and HSK fooling around on the trailer

Smokes and I, Friday morning

Lunch stop at a beautiful lake halfway through the warm up route on day 1.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:03:20 pm by Minxy »
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Bring it on!! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Dwerg

:sip:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
Standing by!  ;D
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Master Beerkie

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
 :clock:  :sip:
A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

Presently: KH250, GT550, KLE500, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180), XRV 750

Offline Slinte Mhaith

:sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Moz is much warmer than Lesotho... ek ry ook saam!  :ricky:  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline bud500

lekker!
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Minxy

Day 2 - After breakfast and a route briefing by Mark Taylor, we hit the road. I must say I'm pretty anxious. This will be my first "red route" after all. The nerves quickly subside though, I feel confident and enjoy every minute of the ride. The route has so much to offer. There is a lot of terrain to navigate and a number of challenging obstacles. There were moments where my heart was pounding in my chest. Among them a tricky, muddy, single track road with a steep climb on the other side, a sandy embankment with a rocky stream where I nearly got stuck; and then another steep decent down a single track path into a muddy river bed. Needles to say the red route was awesome. We go through some breathtaking countryside, we encounter everything from forests, to rocky hills, sandy "twee spoor" roads, cattle tracks, forgotten railway roads and water crossings. What more could one want. When we get back to the lodge we are all exhausted from a day of hard riding. We have another guest speaker, Brett Cummings. He participated in the legendary Dakar rally and finished in the top 50. Respect! Riding the Dakar rally is not a dream that's easily achieved.

Ready to ride! Left to right, Ken Thrash, Johan Botha (HSK), Riaan Smook (Smokes), Barbara Muszynski (Minxy), Rod McShane.

The first challenging obstacle! A whole lot of sand, and a lil rocky water crossing, followed by more sand. Fun fun :)

This is where I nearly get stuck, lucky for me HSK is very quick to give me a "stoot" and I'm out of there in no time  :ricky:

[img5]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10494759_10152595950906972_9145724215590713022_n.jpg?oh=348756c57e12792a68fdbe92f774bd20&oe=5505B006&__gda__=1427124240_d62e8cf91f405a6a5e8b5de0e65229fc[/img]
Some of the terrain we went through

HSK in the backround

Ken navigating his way through the muddy single track.

Going up

The road is very narrow, oh yeh right... What road???...

Riding up one of the big rocks. Check out that front wheel *wink wink*

Some quick pics on top of the rock as we wait for our friends.

Ok, so this is much steeper then it looks on the camera. Tight single track path going down into a river bed. I honestly thought I was going to fall on my face with this one, all went well though :D

The locals are cheering us on, yay!

Lets not forget to mention there was plenty of sand. I ride it the lazy way, sitting down :P

HSK scaring the cows...

Very picturesque bridge next to the railway road.

We make it back to nelspruit just in time for lunch.

The last part of the route is a bit more relaxed and takes us past some plantations and into a beautiful forest.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:29:29 pm by Minxy »
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Old Mill Drift -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=234804.0

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Nice one and well done!
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Jackol.

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Riding the red route like a girl! LDBA and Sandy shores of Mozambique
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:17 pm »
Very nice report.  I did the red route with Chopperpilot and XC-Perfeksie.  Not all of it, but looking at some of these pics I can still remember falling there...  Very beautifull and scenic route!!!  Well done to the organisers!  They did a job very well done in establishing the route.  My space is booked for LDBA next year! 

Well done on the technical sections!!!  Looks like you managed well.  No pics of anyone falling...
Time wait for no man

Offline Minxy

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
Very nice report.  I did the red route with Chopperpilot and XC-Perfeksie.  Not all of it, but looking at some of these pics I can still remember falling there...  Very beautifull and scenic route!!!  Well done to the organisers!  They did a job very well done in establishing the route.  My space is booked for LDBA next year! 

Well done on the technical sections!!!  Looks like you managed well.  No pics of anyone falling...

Awesome! I believe there was quite a few wild dogs there.

And hehe, no falls here, did the whole red route without breaking a nail. I did have a slow fail in the Mozambique sand when we rode to the beach on Macaneta island though :D
Will post more pics soon!
Ride Reports:

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
Thanks for the effort in compiling this nice RR.  Brings back awesome memories :thumleft:
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Minxy

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:51 am »
Day 3 - We say our goodbyes to the riders which are heading home and we depart from Bundu Lodge after breakfast on some tar roads all the way to the Komatipoort border post. Passports are stamped and everyone gathers around for another briefing. I've never been to Mozambique before and am thrilled to see what the country has to offer.
Johan, Riaan, myself and a few others all speed ahead only to find that we missed the turn off for the proposed route. It's too late to go back and we have an adventure of our own. It's a bit daunting not knowing where rest of the group is, but we manage to find our own way through Maputo. The bustling streets in this busy city are a challenge in their own right and we dodge traffic, pedestrians and potholes left, right and center. Never have I seen such a crazy city!
We finally reach the ferry and sit back and relax while it takes us over to the beautiful Macaneta Island where we will be spending the next two nights. We spend the evening eating the most delicious Portuguese chicken, drinking local R&R, celebrating, dancing and just having a great time.

Crazy Traffic, and crazy roads on the outskirts of Maputo.

Fueling up, no petrol pumps in sight, they sell fuel in plastic containers round here.

Some of Maputo's finest tar roads

Traffic chaos everywhere

We make it to the ferry in one piece!

Myself and HSK

Me, HSK, Eddie, Rudi, celebrating with some beer.

Smokes

Rudi, Riaan and myself on the ferry.

Lugar do Mar lodge

Beautiful Macaneta beach

The party boat

This is HSK's arm from the day before. When you get roosted by Smokes, you'll feel it  :imaposer:

Party time!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:00:58 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline bud500

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
"This is HSK's arm from the day before. When you get roosted by Smokes, you'll feel it  :imaposer: "

Probably better than him following you and crashing.... :peepwall:

That Macaneta beach photie is awesome!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:55:19 am by bud500 »
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:34:09 pm »
Wow! What an adventure  :thumleft:
Too hectic for me though  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:28 pm »
Rowwer as de Dieretuin.

Lyk na n groot fees, lekker is die lewe met lekker pelle  :thumleft:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Minxy

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 08:55:44 pm »
Day 4 - The next day we take a ride on the white island sands to El Paso, a western themed ranch. They told us there would be sand, but this was ridiculous! There is no dirt, the road is literally made of sand. Getting up to speed is the key to riding sand, but heck it's tough.
After refreshments at the ranch a few crazy brave riders make their way down to the beach. Shaun wants to try out the 950, so we swap and I ride his 690 for the rest of the day. I must say its light weight was very welcoming and the bike is easy to handle, I do however miss the grunt and power of my SE though. The roads we take are twisty and the sand is extra soft in the afternoon heat. I lose HSK somewhere and ride alone for a while. I can't seem to find the rest of the group. Maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere? While I'm thinking about all this shit I hit the middle of the sandy road and it completely throws me off balance. I try to save it, but can't and fall down. At this stage I'm pretty pissed off and try pick up the bike by myself. Nope, too heavy and it fell at a bit of a bad angle. Lucky for me Ross and friends pitch up to save the day! They help me pick up the bike, no harm done as the sand is powdery soft. We team up and decide to push on and finally make it over the massive dune to catch our first glimpse of the ocean.

The ride down the beach back to Lugar do Mar is the highlight of my LDBA trip and my best biking experience thus far. In my mind I was riding sand dunes in the Dakar, or well at least that's what it felt like... A girl can dream! :)

We take it easy the last night and get ready for the long ride home.

Nice riding pants Minxy! *cough*

Smokes

Which way!?

Shit happens :P (HSK)

Proper sand...

More lovely sand :)

Some beautiful scenery

Another whoops

HSK lending a hand

El Paso

El Paso, this place is awesome! Looks like a real little western town.

The saloon

On my way to the beach

Some of the roads leading to the beach

This was hard work...

The DUNE before we got to the beach. It's a bit steeper then it looks on camera, the camera realy doesn't do it justice.

Helping the bikes over the dune.

Yes, I made it! My cameras battery died at this stage so I didn't get any footage of my ride on the beach. It's ok though, I'll never forget this magical experience  :ricky:

Back at the lodge, I've never been so exhausted in my life! What a day :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:23:40 pm by Minxy »
Ride Reports:

Offline Offshore

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »
Awesome stuff Minxy, what make is the Rear Tyre you are rolling on?

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 10:06:07 pm »
Thanks for the RR  :thumleft: dream trip.