Update on 1st post - Let's do the Old Postal Route - 24th/26th Oct

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
To those die hards still in for the trip, here's some logistics regarding fuel.

Unless you've organised for fuel at Oasis or Stonehenge, your last stop for fuel is at Op-die-Berg on Friday afternoon. The pump closes at 5pm so make sure you're there before then. It's also closed on a Sunday so your first stop on the way back with be Prince Alfred Hamlet.

The round trip from Op-die-Berge, Oasis, Old Postal Route, Stonehenge, Tankwa Padstal, Prince Alfred Hamlet is 387km. If your bike doesn't have that range and you need fuel karted up in the support van, then please make sure you get your clearly marked fuel can to Cayenne@Droomers in Bellville before 12pm on Friday morning. Chat to Anja, she will store it in the workshop.

Most riders should not need more than 15-20 litres if they fill up at Op-die-Berg. I'll load the fuel in the backup vehicle on Friday before we leave. Please make sure your can does not leak, no one wants fuel all over the back of their bakkie  If your can ain't there, you're gonna pay a premium for fuel in the mountains 

Some distances:
Op-die-Berg (Fuel) to Oasis – 65km
Oasis to Stonehenge – 135km
Stonehenge – Tankwa Padstal – 96km
Tankwa Padstal – Prince Alfred Hamlet (Fuel) – 91km

Total – 387km

Note: ride with enough water on you (camelback). I'll make sure there's water in the van but I can't promise you it will be cold. Judging by the long term forecast, we're in for a hot weekend 

We depart from the Engen One Stop on the N1 at 2pm 

So, going on 10 weeks without being on a bike is starting to take its toll on me and
I need to start planning a ride before I go off my rocker. It's all about goal
setting china, keeping focussed, eye on the ball kinda stuff.

The Old Postal Route in the Cederberg has always been on my bucket list and seeing
as I have just taken delivery of a new 690, I'm thinking it's time to tick it off  :thumleft:

Okay, you boys (and girls) still with me??? So here's the basic plan:

Friday arvie: We duck from the Engen 1 stop on Friday afternoon around 2pm to Oasis.
This will obviously necessitate some illness faking in the office, gippo guts always
works for me.
We camp over at Gerrit & Chantal and have a lekker kuier, talk lotsa kak and chow
ourselves stukkend on steak & ribs.

Saturday morning: Depart Oasis to Stonehenge in the Tankwa via Wuppertal and the Old
Postal route, crossing the dreaded Doring river. Hopefully we won't need the now
ill fated SOS Willehond. That evening we arrange for a lekker kuier with Dik Geluk
at Stonehenge, talk war stories and lick our wounds.

Sunday morning: Depart Stonehenge back to CT with a coffee stopover at that pozzie
in the middle of nowhere (Die Tankwa Padstal?)

I'm thinking along the lines of inviting one or two 4x4 buddies with as backup and
fuel carriers. How's that Postal Route & crossing the Doring for a 4x4?

I've been checking the calendar out and it's seriously packed heading into the last
few months of the year. How's the weekend of the 25th/26th Oct sound? That's one
week before Amageza.

For fear of this turning into a Bash  ;D, we're gonna have to limit the group to around 30 riders. I've already mailed Gerrit and Henk (Dik Geluk) for provisional bookings but each rider will be responsible for his own bookings and chow. More details on this to follow shortly  :thumleft:

25th Aug Update:

Lekka Lekka... all those peeps that are doing the great TREK with us on this weekend listen up...

It's time to book your accommodation with Oasis (night of the 24th Oct) & Stonehenge (25th Oct).
Let them know you part of the Wilddog group that Brett's bringing through the wilderness.

Your chow & drinks are your baby to organise. Oasis is obviously no problem because of the restaurant. I'm still trying to organise for Stonehenge to have braai packs available for us but they're a bit slow in responding to mails & calls.

Here's the details:

Gerrit @ OasisGerrit
www.cederbergoasis.co.za
Tel: 027 482 2819          Alt Tel: 0875501360

Maryke @ Stonehenge
[email protected]
https://tankwa.net/

Who's joining me?

List:
1.Buff
2.Mrs Buff
3.Kubus (BIO's mate)
4.Nicky (BIO's mate)
5.Boere
6.Vettie
7.Dragonfly-XC
9.Vlam
10.Soutsuur
11.adventure hunter1
12.Ball and Chain
13.DikZol
14.Remy
16.Billy (Co driver)
17.gwild
18.Socket
19.Pluto
20.Mrs Pluto
21.yAMI sUPER10
22.Worth It (Yami's better half)
23.Renier – (Yami’s laaitie)

Support

1.Rustyb (Vehicle that can take a trailer)
2.YamiSuper10's daughter (Bakkie & trailer)