1958 BSA Bantam D5 re-born..... RIDING YEA !!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody1

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Saw this little bike advertise here on W/D's and it immediately grabbed my attention. Not that I am into British bikes, but because of the year model.
We are both 1958 models and I have been looking for a suitable project to fulfill the desire to have some sort of vehicle that is my age. I have looked at a 1958 VW with the split windows in the back, but they are very scarce and if you do find one the price is not worth it.

This morning Sweisie my son and myself went through to pick her up.  When I tried to kick her over the motor was as solid as a rock and did not move.
But this is acceptable with a project bike that stood for too long in the weather.

So we loaded her up and headed home.

At home we took the head off and immediately the ALARM BELLS started to flash.
I am in no way a rebuild expert, but when you see the piston clearly marked FRONT pointing to the carburetor side, I start to question the knowledge of the person that did the motor rebuild before Steekvlieg from whom I bought the bike.

With some WD40 and some force (not too much) we got the barrel free from the piston..... cause Water got in through the carburetor and rusted the inside.

But the ALARM BELLS kept on blaring..... bottom gasket is PURE SILICONE.... what a tjop.

So we got most of the stuff removed, because now I want the complete motor stripped and rebuilt my way.
At this moment we need the flywheel puller to get that off before we can split the motor.

So anybody with a BSA flywheel puller, please help.

Attachments

• 001A.JPG
    001A.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 001B.jpg
    001B.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,480
  • 003 rust.jpg
    003 rust.jpg