Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A new DR owner , and a few questions if I may.....  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Copius

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: A new DR owner , and a few questions if I may.....
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 08:47:27 am »
Dankie Eikeboom!

Begin solank data invat.......

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »
For lights rather get two LED spots from Extreme Lights. They are excellent!

I agree Replaced My DRZ headlight with a flood for Dip and a Spot for bright from Extreme lights made a massive difference Ok but my light is in a new adventure fairing.also a screen makes a diffrence to the wind
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Copius

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 03:14:14 pm »
FAAAAAAAAAAAARK!!.....
pg 65 of 160+ on the DR650 Thread...

Great read, lots of info.
What I can make of it after 65pages is that you get two types of DR drivers, the ons that KISS and the other that want to BRRRAAAPP on the rear wheel all day long!!!
Repect guys, I'm to a piss gat to try that shyte!

Right, page 66.........
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:18:08 pm by Copius »

Offline Copius

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »
Guys, need your help here please.

Took my DR for a service at a Suz-dealer (4000km) and was very hapy when they told me all is fine, just a very dirty airfilter.
Before the service I achieved 220km on a tank before going over to reserve. Know after the service I barely get 170km?? WTF?
Went back too the machie, and asked if he maybe fiddled with the Carb, but he said no, he will check the manual.

Four weeks later, and still no sollution.

Advice would be appreciated!

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »

Took my DR for a service at a Suz-dealer (4000km) and was very hapy when they told me all is fine, just a very dirty airfilter.
Before the service I achieved 220km on a tank before going over to reserve. Know after the service I barely get 170km?? WTF?
Went back too the machie, and asked if he maybe fiddled with the Carb, but he said no, he will check the manual.

Could be the throttle position! ;) I once went onto reserve at 146kms. :o It was a lekker ride though! ;)

Have a look at the air filter yourself, and see what it has been treated with, and how much has been applied? ???

Sure the manual says engine oil is fine. Clean with paraffin and then Prepsol, and then apply some engine oil. :thumleft:

Also check that your rubber snorkel is not blocked. :thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Online Dux

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 04:03:56 pm »
Guys , I would not recommend engine oil unless you are planning to clean the filter after every ride , use proper air filter oil , I use Motul and Silkolene . The air filter oils are tacky and stay in place on the air filter , I see way too many bikes through my workshop with oil under the filter and most of the filter is dry , so in reality it is not filtering properly .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 08:49:38 am »

Check if the choke valve closes fully. Make sure the cable has slack.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 08:52:50 am »
Engine oil on the filter works fine for me. I don't clean after every ride but also don't mess around on MX tracks and don't ride in other peoples dust trails. 126,000km and counting and no oil consumption.

Filter oil for outboard engines of the dude who reverses into a following sea, if you occasionally submerge your bike or if you live in the Pacific NW, Scotland or NZ :lol8:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:37 am »

Check if the choke valve closes fully. Make sure the cable has slack.
:thumleft:
Possibility...had one seized in the closed position. Removed it, cleaned inside with ear bud, and polished the valved with metal polish. :thumleft:

What about removing the spark plug to check colour for a rich indication? ???

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:20 am »
Guys , I would not recommend engine oil unless you are planning to clean the filter after every ride , use proper air filter oil , I use Motul and Silkolene . The air filter oils are tacky and stay in place on the air filter , I see way too many bikes through my workshop with oil under the filter and most of the filter is dry , so in reality it is not filtering properly .
Agree. I use Bel-Ray products. :thumleft:

Could too much of the tacky filter oil, cause it to run rich?  ???

Online Dux

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 09:48:05 am »
Engine oil on the filter works fine for me. I don't clean after every ride but also don't mess around on MX tracks and don't ride in other peoples dust trails. 126,000km and counting and no oil consumption.

Filter oil for outboard engines of the dude who reverses into a following sea, if you occasionally submerge your bike or if you live in the Pacific NW, Scotland or NZ :lol8:

I have serviced more than enough bikes that have had the air filters lubed with engine oil and the air filters on all were practically bone dry , so the engine oil theory doesn't work with me , filter oil is not just for wet conditions but serves as an active medium in preventing dirt from going through the filter , and that is something that will happen with a dry filter .
Unfortunately Jurgen a lot of people do ride pretty technical and dusty terrain and also in other peoples dust , so the filters do take a lot of strain . 

Guys , this is not meant to be a personal attack on Le Cap , I used his reply to make a point and not to badmouth him at all so please don't take this up the wrong way .
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:20:32 pm by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Copius

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »
I have K&N airfilter oil, that I use on my pick-ups cone filter.
Can I also use that on my DR's airfilter?

Keep in mind i'm in the middle of nowhere.  :thumleft:

I'll check the "choke cable slack" today, and also look at the rubber snorkel.

Can I clean the airfilter with soap water, or anything else, wont have parafin close by until end of the week end??

Online Dux

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 04:20:50 pm »
K & N filter oil not really suitable for foam filters but better than nothing , rather try and get the correct stuff .
I normally use and engine cleaner and Prepsol to clean the filters , works very well , remember that when you rinse the cleaner out of the filter do it from the inside to outside , that way any dirt is pushed out or to the outer edge of the filter , leave it to dry out in a slightly windy area but not in direct sunlight , do not blow it dry with compressed air .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Copius

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 04:28:30 pm »
Okay, got it!

Can I clean the filter with with carb cleaner?

Keep in mind that I had it a service about 4weeks ago, I dont think it will that dirty, and I also realised on the very first tank that its heavier on fuel. Could it be that they over oiled it?? If its under oiled it should be running leaner anyway, and can that effect feul consumption by 5km/liter??

Online Dux

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
Okay, got it!

Can I clean the filter with with carb cleaner?
It could work , but might damage the glue holding different sections of the filter together , you can even use Sunlight liquid .

Keep in mind that I had it a service about 4weeks ago, I dont think it will that dirty, and I also realised on the very first tank that its heavier on fuel. Could it be that they over oiled it?? If its under oiled it should be running leaner anyway, and can that effect feul consumption by 5km/liter??

Both could affect consumption , try and find out exactly what they did on your bike , at least that lessens the places to look .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Lem

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 08:29:58 am »
Copius, welcome to the forum and I hope you have plenty of great miles on your DR  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:21:18 am by lecap »
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline OOOOMS

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:38 am »
Yes Maater Cobus, bly om te sien jy is hier en vra baie vra en kry baie advies  :thumleft:

Een van die dae kom kuier ons, drink 'n wyntjie op jou stoep en braai 'n tjoppie  :biggrin:

Offline Copius

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 09:47:21 am »
Geez Louise!

Wou nie sulke tjorras veroorsaak nie.

Thanks Lecap and Dux for both of your input, I had a word with the Suz dealer and his machie here in Upington again today.
They said the air filter was over oiled. When it was removed and compressed it had lots of oil running out (Yellow oil).
They used BliXem degreaser and Castrol Foam filter oil spray, and thats it.

Butt........ They also replaced the both sparkplugs with hotter plugs!! I now have CR9E's in instead of CR10E's.
Can this have such a great effect on consumption??

Luckily I had to go into Upington, and bought Castrol foam filter oil and I have BliXem at home.
Should I start by checking the choke -> filter snorkel -> reclean and oil the filter - > then the plugs??
The Suz dealer said they will replace the plugs free of charge if thats the problem.

Dankie vir die verwelkoming Lem.

Mark, ek hou nie regting van kuier en braai nie.............
 :pot:

Offline OOOOMS

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 10:17:38 pm »
Mark, ek hou nie regting van kuier en braai nie.............
 Pot

......is jy weer gewyn die tyd vd dag, Mr Wynmaker  :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Hoop jy kom gou reg, Boesman  :thumleft:

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 07:52:46 am »

I have serviced more than enough bikes that have had the air filters lubed with engine oil and the air filters on all were practically bone dry , so the engine oil theory doesn't work with me , filter oil is not just for wet conditions but serves as an active medium in preventing dirt from going through the filter , and that is something that will happen with a dry filter .
Unfortunately Jurgen a lot of people do ride pretty technical and dusty terrain and also in other peoples dust , so the filters do take a lot of strain .  

Guys , this is not meant to be a personal attack on Le Cap , I used his reply to make a point and not to badmouth him at all so please don't take this up the wrong way .

It's the same old problem: Few people read to the page in the owners manual (what's an owners manual?) where it says you must look after your air filter more often if you ride in very dusty conditions. For me that goes without even mentioning it but I admit I am somewhat mechanically minded :mwink:

If I may summarise:
You have to oil your foam filter.
The absolutely very utterly and globally important point is that a foam filter does not prevent the ingestion of anything smaller than pebbles, rodents and tweetie birds if it is not oiled.

You can use different stuff. Common to whatever you use to oil your filter is that it has to somehow cling to the foam and it has to combine with dust to slimy goo, still clinging to the filter.

Your filter will only convert a certain amount of dust to slimy goo before it's either totally blocked or before the oil is literally used up - all converted to goo, the filter has dried out and lets dust through.
Another considerable danger is the foam getting blocked by the goo and then getting pulled out of shape by the air flow.

Special foam filter oils have advantages: They are sticky and thereby cling better to the foam with less tendency of draining out of the foam. They also do not turn to margarine if mixed with water. According to Dux the filters oiled with special filter oils filter longer before needing a wash.
On the downside the tackiness makes the foam filter oils more difficult to wash out of the filter.

On a long trip foam filter oil and special filter cleaner is extra stuff to haul around.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:05:21 am by lecap »