David

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Topic: 2T KTM 250 or 300?

I've read the replies on a similar topic by Pom17 but thought it well to ask the question myself. Please help me to decide.

I've been riding a very neat 2006 KDX200 for the last 2 years and enjoyed every moment of it. Recently though I
got an itch. The timing is really bad since I shouldn't spend money now but as my dad used to say: "we only live once".
It will be a terrible shame if I hold back and miss out on that what I enjoy so much at this stage in my life. See, we're
not getting younger and I'm worried that this current phase of riding with awesome people will pass too soon.

Right. I'm seriously considering buying a good second hand or even new 2014 KTM 250 or 300 2T.

What is it going to be. 250 or 300?

Let me first mention some things to paint a picture of my needs/experience.

I do only slow technical riding in the rocks of Lesotho/Eastern Cape. I'm not in the least interested in speed.
I weigh +-70kg, +- 80kg fully kitted.
My riding style was sparked by heavy DS bikes. I found the low rev crawling ability of HPN663 https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=78715.0 suited me very well.
I haven't been on a 250 but have been on some 300s for brief time and loved the low-down torque and sound of the engine.
The times I got hurt on my KDX was when it hit the powerband when I wasn't prepared/able and got away from me.

Apart from the riding experience I also consider the following:
Popularity and resale value of the 250 vs 300.
Reliability 250 vs 300.
Fuel range 250 vs 300.
Low down tractor ability to resist stalling/running out of grunt 250 vs 300.

In the pictures you can see me and my KDX and the other picture some friends with 300 six days that sometimes ask
me to help them by riding their bikes up or over little sections they don't have the courage or strength for.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Image2612.jpg
    Image2612.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,169