Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Gauteng Road Book Training  (Read 11284 times)

Offline aka.Goliath

Re: Gauteng Road Book Training
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2015, 11:21:49 pm »
I'm not sure how Mark may feel about this but I'm happy to part with my roadbook that mark did last year - it however does have my markings all over it but hey it is a start. PM me if you're interested. I would suggest doing it with at least one other person and with a lot of caution as it will be a year old and a bit out of date. Nothing worse than heading down a straight at 120km/h and into a giant ditch. Although that is likely what you'll find at least once during amageza, I know I did.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:39 am »
I'm not sure how Mark may feel about this but I'm happy to part with my roadbook that mark did last year - it however does have my markings all over it but hey it is a start. PM me if you're interested. I would suggest doing it with at least one other person and with a lot of caution as it will be a year old and a bit out of date. Nothing worse than heading down a straight at 120km/h and into a giant ditch. Although that is likely what you'll find at least once during amageza, I know I did.

No problem at all.  Remember this RB's purpose was for anyone that wanted to self train, so please by all means if you want to pass the RB around to someone who could gain a little practice & knowledge, then I am all for it.  HOWEVER, CAUTION - as you have said, the RB is a year old now, and I have since been on the route, which HAS CHANGED in places, so you will have to find your way around these new obstacles, new roads, dead ends and so on.  But that may just be a good thing, as it will force you to compass navigate to the next known point, giving valuable time with CAP headings and looking out for known places on the road book.  For those of you who have done it, as you know, the navigation is not too difficult, but it will give you good time in the saddle (6 hours min to complete the whole route) and good practice with the RB which is loaded with much more info than what is required for the purpose of you getting used to looking at the RB while riding.  Enjoy.  :thumleft:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( (( >`..`..`...>< ( ( (( >

Offline Gee S

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:38 am »

No problem at all.  Remember this RB's purpose was for anyone that wanted to self train, so please by all means if you want to pass the RB around to someone who could gain a little practice & knowledge, then I am all for it.  HOWEVER, CAUTION - as you have said, the RB is a year old now, and I have since been on the route, which HAS CHANGED in places, so you will have to find your way around these new obstacles, new roads, dead ends and so on.  But that may just be a good thing, as it will force you to compass navigate to the next known point, giving valuable time with CAP headings and looking out for known places on the road book.  For those of you who have done it, as you know, the navigation is not too difficult, but it will give you good time in the saddle (6 hours min to complete the whole route) and good practice with the RB which is loaded with much more info than what is required for the purpose of you getting used to looking at the RB while riding.  Enjoy.  :thumleft:

Hi Mark, I am also intersted in training with your roadbook. Did you use Rally Navigator to create this roadbook? If you did, did you upload it onto their site from where it can be downloaded?

All that wander are not lost

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2015, 02:10:07 pm »
Hi Mark, I am also intersted in training with your roadbook. Did you use Rally Navigator to create this roadbook? If you did, did you upload it onto their site from where it can be downloaded?
Yes, I did use Rally Navigator - I have unlocked the route and is now on "share", so you should be able to download the route.  It is known as "Magalies Road Book Training", route distance = 436km, 367 waypoints & 167km fuel range required.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:13:58 pm by markdiver »
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2015, 02:18:31 pm »
Mark's roadbook really is a fantastic route. It keeps you busy and is not a bad simulation of a full Amageza stage, sans the sand of course. Doubt my Amageza navigation would have gone well if I did not do it beforehand.

I still have my roadbook scroll in a cupboard in case someone wants to borrow it. I'm in Midrand.

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2015, 10:40:07 am »
Yes, I did use Rally Navigator - I have unlocked the route and is now on "share", so you should be able to download the route.  It is known as "Magalies Road Book Training", route distance = 436km, 367 waypoints & 167km fuel range required.

Thanks very much, I have a Rally Navigator subscription, will look for the roadbook on their website, very much appreciated.
* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline SteveD

« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:40 pm »

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2015, 06:37:42 am »
https://www.rallynavigator.com/routes/5945

If anyone plans to download this route and make it up themselves, then please PM with an e-mail address so that I can forward you the riders brief.  You will need this for valuable additional information and changes on the RB that need to be made.  :thumleft:
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2015, 01:24:15 pm »

Thanks very much, I have a Rally Navigator subscription, will look for the roadbook on their website, very much appreciated.

Just to report back on this, thanks very much to @markdiver I got his roadbook off Rally Navigator and it cost me all of R48.00 to get it printed and cut at Postnet, very useful training indeed!

Just a caution however, as Mark did make very sure to point out to me, there are some changes in the last year since the roadbook was made, the MOST IMPORTANT of which is that there is a trench dug across one of the canal roads, which was obviously done after the roadbook was made so it does not appear. It should in fact be a triple caution, RLT, tulip - it is just a round a blind corner and I hit it at about 85 kph, and fell my $%#@ off. Luckily no big damage to my bike other than a cracked fairing and I have a bit of a stiff wrist, but suffice to say big lesson learnt and I just thought I would share it with other guys training off this roadbook.

The trench is between tulips 217 and 218, at about 189,49 km roadbook distance.

KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2015, 04:22:44 pm »
Good training for Amageza as there are always dangers that are not marked as they appear over night (rain, animals etc.) I think that trench got a bit bigger since I was last there as I jumped straight over it while falling through my @sshole. :D
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline SteveD

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2015, 12:30:27 pm »
.....and it cost me all of R48.00 to get it printed and cut at Postnet.....

Tell me more? Did Postnet print it on an A5 continuous roll, or was it just lots of A4 pages that you sticky-taped together?

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »
.....and it cost me all of R48.00 to get it printed and cut at Postnet.....

Tell me more? Did Postnet print it on an A5 continuous roll, or was it just lots of A4 pages that you sticky-taped together?

I selected the A4 print option on Rally Navigator and printed the roadbook in A4 pages at Postnet (Mark's roadbook was 48 pages). Then Postnet just guillotine'd the edges to A5 size, which I taped together to make a roll, and the fit in my F2R was perfect. The whole process including driving to Postnet and back and taping the pages together was less than an hour!

KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline Gee S

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
How do I get this roadbook printed? I am subscribed to the premium version but am obviously doing something stupid :dousing:

Sorted. found out I had to install Google Chrome.. Everything worked perfectly after that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:25:52 pm by Gee S »

Offline Gee S

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2015, 06:58:50 am »
Have any of you guys managed to get the Waypoints as per Mark's roadbook onto a Etrex 10? If so can you please tell me how to do it?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:37 pm »
Having the safety waypoints entered into your GPS while you race is a really, really good idea. Figuring out how to do this before you pitch up at the race is as good an idea.

The easiest is to use MapSource of Basecamp. Manually enter each of the waypoints, using the co-ords given in the roadbook. Create a route which links those waypoints, in the right order, using direct routing. Plug in your eTrex via USB, select upload, select tracks and waypoints. Unplug the GPS, go to Route Manager, activate the route you just created.
It is possible to do the same on the eTrex device itself, but the user interface is pretty kak. Though again, pretty good training.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2015, 01:41:50 pm »
Having the safety waypoints entered into your GPS while you race is a really, really good idea. Figuring out how to do this before you pitch up at the race is as good an idea.

We got stuck in a riverbed for 2 hours and if it wasn't for another rider making the same mistake we wouldn't have gotten out. All due to not practising and paying attention to waypoints. At least we got to ride a bit more of the scenery. Value for money and all  :ricky: :lol8:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Gee S

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2015, 02:57:46 pm »

The easiest is to use MapSource of Basecamp. Manually enter each of the waypoints, using the co-ords given in the roadbook. Create a route which links those waypoints, in the right order, using direct routing. Plug in your eTrex via USB, select upload, select tracks and waypoints. Unplug the GPS, go to Route Manager, activate the route you just created.
It is possible to do the same on the eTrex device itself, but the user interface is pretty kak. Though again, pretty good training.
Thanks SteveD :thumleft: I will try that.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2015, 10:19:17 pm »
We did the Magalies Road Book training over the weekend, my first time ever to use a road book. :o 1st off we could not make it in one day, we were way to slow for that. I think it took us more than 10 hours to finish.
We made a few mistakes and frequently stopped to discuss directions and distances etc but overall the navigation was easier than I expected it to be. The part where we really battled to navigate was the river bed up to Jerico rock and we spend a lot of time trying to get it right.
We thought we were lost more than once and were doubting ourselves while we were on the correct track all the time.

Mark thank you for all the effort and time you took to put this road book together :thumleft: I don't know what I would have done without it. It was remarkably accurate. Thanks again :thumleft:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »
Blast from the past I know...

Anyone have use for one of Mark's road books?

I guess a lot has changed on the route, but I have it and I'm going to chuck it if no one wants it.

Offline exkdx

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2018, 07:03:55 am »
Hi
I have a buddy training for one of these road book races. Let me ask him if he is interested..
Will let you know, thanks
KDX200 gone
YZ 250 gone
Husky TE610 one left
KTM 500 XC-W latest addition