Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Karoo 3 - Riding faster for longer  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
Karoo 3 - Riding faster for longer
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:07 pm »
Anyone else run Karoo 3's with experience of extended high speed runs?

Speed: 190-210km/h over 40km
Load: Single rider with no luggage
Pressure: Front 2.6 & Rear 2.8

Mine starts to weave after about 20-30km and I am trying to work out if this might be the limit for what the tyres can do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:47:53 pm by Lord Knormoer »

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
Re: Karoo 3 - Riding faster for longer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:53:53 pm »
The Karoo 3 is rated "R" = 170kph.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »

Rated T for 118mph or 190km/h on the 170/60R17 and the 120/70R19 that I run on the K50.

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

Rated T for 118mph or 190km/h on the 170/60R17 and the 120/70R19 that I run on the K50.

Aah the K50, ok...had the sizes wrong.
Although "190-210km/h" > 190km/h.

I'll leave it at that; any other response would come across as trolling.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:28:24 pm »
Ai LKM, I was set in buying either Karoo or TKC. Now you confuse me again

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:35:31 pm »

I welcome any input from someone that's run the tyres at those speeds. Most has a safety margin built in and given that you should be able to do 190 loaded, 210 with no load should be OK? Is my logic flawed?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »
Ai LKM, I was set in buying either Karoo or TKC. Now you confuse me again

These tyres are absolutely stable up to 190km/h. Faster than that over extended periods is where I experience an almost imperceptible weave.

In the last instance, after 40km of only slowing to about 190km/h and about 5 instances of 160km/h for about 20-30 seconds when passing traffic.

Offline Inverted

• Bike: Honda XR500
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:21 pm »

I welcome any input from someone that's run the tyres at those speeds. Most has a safety margin built in and given that you should be able to do 190 loaded, 210 with no load should be OK? Is my logic flawed?

Most???...You should be careful, the safety margin is not there as a backup for you to think you can use it.  Not all tires of the same make and type is identical, and this forms part of that margin!

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:47 am »
LKM, jy dink nie dalk die spoed is bietjie hoog vir Karoo 3's nie. Ek hoop nie dit was op die grond nie, want wie gaan dan volgende jaar se Cancervive rit reel.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 06:08:40 am »
LKM, jy dink nie dalk die spoed is bietjie hoog vir Karoo 3's nie. Ek hoop nie dit was op die grond nie, want wie gaan dan volgende jaar se Cancervive rit reel.

Nog nooit op grond oor die vervaardiger se maksimum spoed aanduiding gegaan nie :thumleft:

Ek dink wel jy is sommer reg...wou net bietjie vra of ander al 'n soortgelyke ervaring gehad het.

Omdat die fiets nie gelaai was nie voel ek dat ek nog binne perke was. My logika sÍ dat as ek met passasier en bagasie 190km/h kam ry moet ek sonder passasier en bagasie bietjie meer kan doen!

Sal egter die teuls intrek en jou by die volgende Cancervive Gouda Outride sien :deal:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:41 am »
Howzit LKM,

I'd be very careful about exceeding the speed ratings of tyres at all. One has to bear in mind that although the manufacturer may have a "safety margin" built in to their specs, one also has to remember that the stresses placed on that tyre increase exponentially.

Think speed and the g-forces in a crash. At 30km/h you will experience lets say 20 G's in a sudden stop. At 60km/h you will hit about 80G's in a sudden stop.

Its the same for a tyre, spinning at 190km/h and spinning at 210km/h could even double the stresses on that tyre, leading to delamination, overheating, and catastrophic failure.

Its just not worth it boet, rather stick to the manufacturers limit, or get tyres that have a higher rating. Your life is worth more than a few extra km/h  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:33:25 am »
Am I the only one thinking it's silly to be riding at those speeds for extended periods?   :eek7:

Or were you just very late?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:46:27 am by Archangel »

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:46 am »
Am I the only one thinking it's silly to be riding at those speeds for extended periods?   :eek7:

Or where you just very late?

Very late!! Someone needed to make a flight to JHB, still not a good idea though :deal:

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:20 am »
Howzit LKM,

I'd be very careful about exceeding the speed ratings of tyres at all. One has to bear in mind that although the manufacturer may have a "safety margin" built in to their specs, one also has to remember that the stresses placed on that tyre increase exponentially.

Think speed and the g-forces in a crash. At 30km/h you will experience lets say 20 G's in a sudden stop. At 60km/h you will hit about 80G's in a sudden stop.

Its the same for a tyre, spinning at 190km/h and spinning at 210km/h could even double the stresses on that tyre, leading to delamination, overheating, and catastrophic failure.

Its just not worth it boet, rather stick to the manufacturers limit, or get tyres that have a higher rating. Your life is worth more than a few extra km/h  :thumleft:

Thx, you confirm my own thoughts. Just wanted to check.

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:44 am »
LKM I can confirm that on the GS LC the Karoo 3 gets very hot after a few km at high speed 200+. As it gets hot the tyres start to weave and it becomes dangerous to continue, consider it a warning to slow down. Even slowing down for a few km does not let it cool down all that much so as soon as you speed up it will quickly get hot again. When loaded or 2 up it starts to weave after a few km at even lower speeds.

I think with heavy adventure bikes getting as powerful as they are, we have hit the limit of what a manufacturer can do with a dual tyre. That also explains why the Anakee 3, ContiTrailAttack and Tourance Next are starting to look like sport bike tyres. They need to handle a heavy bike doing 240 or more and even they start to weave at those speeds.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »
LKM I can confirm that on the GS LC the Karoo 3 gets very hot after a few km at high speed 200+. As it gets hot the tyres start to weave and it becomes dangerous to continue, consider it a warning to slow down. Even slowing down for a few km does not let it cool down all that much so as soon as you speed up it will quickly get hot again. When loaded or 2 up it starts to weave after a few km at even lower speeds.

I think with heavy adventure bikes getting as powerful as they are, we have hit the limit of what a manufacturer can do with a dual tyre. That also explains why the Anakee 3, ContiTrailAttack and Tourance Next are starting to look like sport bike tyres. They need to handle a heavy bike doing 240 or more and even they start to weave at those speeds.

:thumleft:

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:39 am »
Dit is darem maar net lekker om die LC se oor so bietjie te draai en te hoor hoe praat die pype en te voel hoe dinge gebeur. En sodra jy weet dit is nou genoeg dan gee jy hom nog so bietjie - en dan gebeur dit weer, net hierdie keer is dit lekkerder. Nou ja, dan is dit soos party ander dinge in die lewe hoe meer jy gee hoe lekkerder raak dit.

Enige man moet so nou en dan, soos 'n Springbok ram, teen die draad langs wei net om seker te maak hoe groot die kamp is en hoe hoog die draad is.

Die GS bly lekker !!

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:51 am »
Wat het jou tyre monitors gese?

Ek het teen 200kph plus, vir meer as 30km ook begin weave kry, en dit was nie eers n knobbly nie.

Agter tyre druk het van 2.9bar opgegaan na 3.7bar op my monitors.

Die tyre word so warm, dat die rubber baie baie baie SAG begin word, en dan flex die grip meer as wat dit moet, daarom kry jy n weave. Op n knobbly, teen daai hitte, dis wanneer die knobs begin afskeur.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:18 am »
Wat het jou tyre monitors gese?

Ek het teen 200kph plus, vir meer as 30km ook begin weave kry, en dit was nie eers n knobbly nie.

Agter tyre druk het van 2.9bar opgegaan na 3.7bar op my monitors.

Die tyre word so warm, dat die rubber baie baie baie SAG begin word, en dan flex die grip meer as wat dit moet, daarom kry jy n weave. Op n knobbly, teen daai hitte, dis wanneer die knobs begin afskeur.

Monitors was OK, het net .2 opgegaan, ek het meer verwag.

Offline COLES

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:10 am »

Hey Dogs
I use Karoooooo 3 but the speed you fellows are taking about is way to fast for me