Cheap 990 Sidestand switch bypass - How to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
After having endless problems with my sidestand switch, and trying all kinds of cures, ( using magnets, cleaning, bending, etc) it finally seems I found a cheap and easy solution. No cutting of wires, and easy to go back to original config if testing fails

Bought some 1.2 KOhm resistors ( they are 6 c each) and some female electrical connectors.

2014-07-30150717.jpg

Connected them like this:
2014-07-30150801.jpg

Using a crimping tool, directly attached the resistors to the connectors as in above pic. One connector takes two resistors, others just one. I asked Poffmuis to solder them to make sure they connect:
2014-07-30150833.jpg

Unplugged the connector that goes into the harness ( just follow the cable from the switch), and plugged my magafter in. The connecter that has the two resistors goes to the pink cable, the other two to the other two male points inside the white connector:
2014-07-30134255.jpg

Added some heatshrink ( Im sure it will seal nicely with the engine heat), and walla.
2014-07-30135909.jpg

tested and it works fine  :thumleft: I then went ahead and got rid of the sidestand altogether.

I had to buy a minimum of 10 resistors, so I made a couple of the things extra. If anybody wants, price is 1 x Zama. For collection only.  Small and easy to add to your spares box

Or you can buy this one:
https://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-990-950-690-side-stand-removal-switch

or make your own, Cost to me was about R1 + 1 minute each  :biggrin:

This wont work on the 950 ( maybe the SE? dont know) but probably would be okay for the 690, and you use this info at your own risk...