Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build  (Read 18015 times)

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Re: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:54 am »
Quote from: spokie
If I may ask, why did you roadworthy the bike after this rally conversion?

From the Amageza SRs:

5.1. GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR ALL MOTORCYCLES AND QUADS
1. The Amageza Rallye is open to motorcycles and quads (hereinafter collectively referred to as “motorcycles”) duly covered by a registration certificate and adapted to off-road use. The registration certificate must always reflect the modifications made to the motorcycle, in particular to the capacity, make, type and commercial description. These motorcycles and their equipment entered must, throughout the competition, comply with the International Vienna Convention of 1968, the national legal requirements for road traffic of the country in which the vehicle is registered, the road legislation of the country where the event is held and with other rules specified in the Supplementary Regulations. If a competition motorcycle does not require registration in the country where it comes from, the motorcycle must still respect the FIM Sporting and Technical rules.

I think what spookman was trying to say was: why not roadworthy the bike before fitting "hard to pass" rally bits.
I would have the bike roadworthy'd 1st, using the legitimate stock headlight etc.
After obtaining the licence plate and disc, nothing prevents me from changing the lights, adding a roadbook and smaller indicators. This is what I'm doing with my 525
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:05:41 am by dirtWarp »

Offline Dwerg

Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
This roadworthy thing has been a moving target for some time  ::)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:07 pm »

From the Amageza SRs:

1. The Amageza Rallye is open to motorcycles and quads (hereinafter collectively referred to as “motorcycles”) duly covered by a registration certificate and adapted to off-road use. The registration certificate must always reflect the modifications made to the motorcycle, in particular to the capacity, make, type and commercial description. These motorcycles and their equipment entered must, throughout the competition, comply with the International Vienna Convention of 1968, the national legal requirements for road traffic of the country in which the vehicle is registered, the road legislation of the country where the event is held and with other rules specified in the Supplementary Regulations. If a competition motorcycle does not require registration in the country where it comes from, the motorcycle must still respect the FIM Sporting and Technical rules.

I think what spookman was trying to say was: why not roadworthy the bike before fitting "hard to pass" rally bits.
I would have the bike roadworthy'd 1st, using the legitimate stock headlight etc.
After obtaining the licence plate and disc, nothing prevents me from changing the lights, adding a roadbook and smaller indicators. This is what I'm doing with my 525

Ja that's what I did. Took the stock bike, slapped on some plate size indicators etc. and got it roadworthy. then started with the rally kit. The one rear indicator was right behind the exhaust, and melts away within 10km, so I had to het my timing right as I was riding it to the testing station.
the guy still tuned me I need a chain guard for the passenger....  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:50:19 pm by Scooterbike »
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »

From the Amageza SRs:

Nobody said I was smart.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:20 pm »
...the guy still tuned me I need a chain guard for the passenger....  :imaposer:

Me too... but after pointing out the absurdity of clamping a chain guard on an off road bike, he consulted the manual and discovered it only applied to bikes which came with chain guards from the factory.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
And here she is. Colours and graphics may yet change, and I'll wait to pass comment until I've actually ridden her in anger. But for now, I'm delighted... this is half the fun, innit?

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
Ag the road worthy places differ night and day, some places will put it through as long as the engine and frame numbers match up never mind the other stuff. I guess the strict ones at least are still trying to do a proper job .... then again have you seen half of the taxi's on the road ! I was also worried going to the roadworthy with LED lights  :-\
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2014, 05:02:49 pm »
And here she is. Colours and graphics may yet change, and I'll wait to pass comment until I've actually ridden her in anger. But for now, I'm delighted... this is half the fun, innit?
Sure is.
Congrats, your bike looks great!

Offline markdiver

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2014, 05:35:34 pm »
Fantastic and very lekker Max, looks perfect.  Now ride it hard and sort out any gremlins that may be lurking.  Have fun & enjoy.  :thumleft:
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
Looks the biz, it does! Congrats.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2014, 05:39:55 am »
Looks grand  :thumleft:

PS. Trim those roadbook bolts, they going to hook or hurt something. Go ride her hard and dirty ... will give her some houding.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »
Damn that looks good, I'm really interested to know how it compares to the 690 especially ito wind protection and longer distance riding. I'm sure there will be no comparison in the rough stuff.
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:16 pm »
Damn that looks good, I'm really interested to know how it compares to the 690 especially ito wind protection and longer distance riding. I'm sure there will be no comparison in the rough stuff.

Just rode it today: If you're asking you want a 690. 690 motor has more 'thrust', for want of a better word, over 100. It's not that this thing is slow. Quite the contrary, it's just the 690 is more locomotive-like. Having said that with a gearing change the 450 will be plenty quick & comfortable - the new seat is lekker. I'd just feel too sorry for it thrashing it over 120 indefinitely.

Then your last point: in the rough, and the rougher the more this is true, it takes apart the 690 with a sledgehammer. It's a comprehensive, utter slaughtering. The 690 can do it all for sure, but if you want light on its feet, jumping over drainage ditches and eating broken, rutted roads for breakfast, this is in another class.

You really already know which one you want. I did, and I made the right choice. But I do miss that 690 - it's a sensational bike.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2014, 08:16:01 pm »
Did you do the Seat Concepts covering yourself (looks slightly loose)? What fabric did they use - I know they have quite a choice.

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
 Looks great
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, BMW G650Xchallenge

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »
Bike looks very neat and simple - great job  :thumleft:

Makes me wish that I'd converted my 450  :'( :'(
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2014, 08:45:13 pm »
Did you do the Seat Concepts covering yourself (looks slightly loose)? What fabric did they use - I know they have quite a choice.

Actually it was a complete seat. I agree - I'm going to write to them. Tried it today - super comfortable but noticeably higher than stock.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2014, 10:11:32 pm »

Actually it was a complete seat. I agree - I'm going to write to them. Tried it today - super comfortable but noticeably higher than stock.

Their seats are meant to be the dogs danglers - been thinking of a kit for my Husky.

Online 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2014, 06:51:33 am »
She's very .... WHITE  !!!   :lol8:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic