Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build  (Read 18279 times)

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
Re: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 12:08:35 am »
 :sip:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 05:25:22 am »
 :drif:
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Goatman

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:48 am »
 :sip: Can't wait, looks like a good one.
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Offline I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 12:00:16 pm »
Cant see the pics at work, looking forward to comming back here.
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »
Abracadabra! A disappointingly small box (considering the cost) of Eastern Beaver electrics arrive on my desk this morning:

... but plenty to wire up a rally bike, and then some. I figured it would be more than a little annoying to find myself 3 connectors short of a result and having to re-order from Japan. Of course, the tricky question was which three connectors.

According to DHL, in some magnificent alignment of the stars, and to compensate for having spent the week in bed under the bad influenza of some horrible bugs, my box of more exciting tricks is also due to arrive this afternoon. Stand by.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »
I am so impressed to see a decent crimping tool in your bag of tricks   :thumleft:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 05:22:26 pm »
Well spotted! Can't stand shitty tools, and I figured if I was going to buy some top notch connectors I may as well be able to attach them to the wires properly. Have managed to track down some good quality automotive wire too, oil and fuel resistant, so will go pick some of that up tomorrow. As strong as the temptation is to leap in, I'd probably do myself some favours planning the wiring diagram first.

And, nice work DHL:

Departed warehouse in Oregon Monday evening SA time, at my door mid-afternoon Thursday, on economy shipping. That's pretty impressive work. And much better than the combined TNT-customs bungle I had to deal with last time.

So the fun starts... actually, I think I'd better tidy up my garage first. And then there's the small problem of no power or light in there at the moment...

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »
DHL  :thumleft:
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 03:03:24 pm »
With a box full of rally tricks you've been planning and ordering for months sitting in the garage you'd be able to ignore it for a few days and go to work as normal, right?

Thought so.

So I took a couple of hours off this morning and dropped in here:

First the nav gear. This little bracket comes from Dave at Rally Management Services. Can't believe how light it is...

I'd bought a set of second hand gear that had only been used for the Namaqua, and is in pretty much perfect nick.

And this pile of bits is a rally nav tower and front end, believe it or not. Good thing I liked mechano as a kid.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 03:05:09 pm »
You must feel like a kid on Christmas morning ! Reading with interest  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
I really meant to just check that all the bits had arrived from the US in good shape, and the shipping consolidators hadn't dropped any of the four million packets on the floor. But I couldn't resist just trying a couple of the bits to see what was what.

First stop:

The RMS is all laser cut and beautifully made, and comes with grommets and bolts and bits to make assembly an absolute cinch. Bonus of using the most common stuff, I guess.

I have the self control of a fish. Off came the headlight and stock hand guards.

And the bars:

The HDB top clamp has an innovative system of using both sets of threads for strength, and for some reason the back ones were a little buggered so I tapped them out again.

Resistance is futile.

The bottom clamp has a built-in adjustable Scotts damper mount, but I haven't fitted the frame bracket and pin yet.

Everything on the HDB (Highway Dirtbikes) system is adjustable for fit. I went for their second lowest set of risers, and I think I may have to order the lowest ones. I've become less keen on bars in the sky of late... maybe enduro riding is teaching me something?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
You must feel like a kid on Christmas morning ! Reading with interest  :thumleft:

Definitely overexcited.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »
HDB offer a wide range of top clamps, and Paul will customise them for you too. I decided to keep it simple, partly because that's my mantra on this bike, and partly because on a rally there's a decent change of hitting the top clamp in an off. I decided to hide key, any power sockets and so on on the side of the fairing.

The four switches will be used for lights on/off, fan override, nav power override and one other. Or something like that. There are also little LEDs that go in those holes above the switches to indicate power on/off.

The HDB stuff is beautifully made. All perfectly CNC'd, anodised and so well thought through. This is the Nav support bar:

And here is the rally-lite fairing going on:

Now for a somewhat contentious decision. HDB's original rally setup was all alloy and mounts top and bottom. Lately Paul has been moving strongly towards HDPE panels, and thinks that his new rally-lite setup mounted only from the top clamp is more than strong enough for two Squadrons, a road book and two displays. it also has the advantage of damping vibrations better than the alloy, and will likely absorb some of the impact and spring back into shape in the event of a crash rather than bend or deform.

What the hell - I decided to give it a try and abuse it hard before Amageza, and I can always get the full-length alloy panels if I think I need it. It's nice to have parameters forcing me to keep the setup as light as possible. I want the bike to ride as close to the original enduro as possible and there's too much temptation to mount all kinds of extra crap up there and turn the bike into a pig handling-wise.

It's like mechano:

Here I am only about an hour since walking into the garage. This stuff couldn't be easier.

Nothing is done up, all nuts and bolts are just finger tight to see how the setup will work out.

Offline jpcussen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:46 pm »
 :sip:
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
I despise trying to ride at night with bad lights, and it's really dangerous. Now, I figure there's an odds-on chance I'm going to get caught out at least one night on Amageza, and anyway I've been wanting to try some night riding at Atlantis and elsewhere. And that ain't fun with shitty lights. So I bought the sun.

There are a few top notch light manufacturers around at the moment. But it seems if bright, and light and small wins the prize, then Baja Designs must be pretty much top of the pile. My card was a sodden melted mess at this point anyway, and when I called Christian at Baja Designs and discovered they were running a special on their top-of-the-line Squadron Pro... I sighed and acquiesced.

To make matters simpler, the Squadrons are standard fitment in the HDB setup. Paul makes an option for the ADVMonster lights, which look identical to the local Extreme Lights, but after discussing it with him, was convinced nothing was going to match the Squadrons. One spot, and one wide cornering on a Skene dimmer for dims on the road (both lights on blazing full power for brights).

So, 4 secs and Bob's your auntie:

A blind man and his pig could put this stuff together, really.

OK, I lie a little. It's not all going to be plain sailing, and this is why:

Electrics. The 2013 XC-W has a solid power supply due to the FI requirements, but there is going to be a lot of wiring going on to get this bike roadworthy and race ready. And that is going to be far from blind man's work. But it's definitely not today's work. This is:

Nice, robust little plastic screen. Will bend and take some impact, and provides minimal obstruction of the road ahead. I've broken several fibreglass fairings on my previous bikes, so looking forward to trying this minimalist approach. Bingo.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
And that's it, my friends, for this little instalment. Literally two hours in and out. Forced myself back to the office and now I'm wasting time writing this up for you lot??!

It's a neat setup, and so far very impressive. Of course the proof is in the pudding, but it's been well tested to destruction all over the world already, so this isn't new ground.

Need to get the foam grips on before this will fit:

The switch itself is a pretty fragile feeling little piece of plastic that gives the impression it will break if you sneeze at it. May keep it as a spare and get one of Paul's new ones.

Yes, my garage is a pigsty, unlike some of the places you've seen in these parts.

And I leave you with this, the view from the cockpit, more or less in attack position:

As Radiohead said, everything in its right place. So far so good, now the hard part starts.

But first a little of this:

...and some other easy distractions. Going to leave the hard part to last.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 03:47:32 pm »
Sure you will be riding by sunset tonight  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline bonova

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
very very nice :)
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 09:20:28 am »
You should get a name for the bike ... How about ... PANDA-MONIUM ?

You shurly have some pandemonium in that garage

pan∑de∑mo∑ni∑um  [pan-duh-moh-nee-uhm]
noun
1.wild uproar or unrestrained disorder; tumult or chaos.
2.a place or scene of riotous uproar or utter chaos.
3.( often initial capital letter ) the abode of all the demons.
4. hell.
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50