Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build  (Read 18281 times)

Offline bonova

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Re: PANDAMOBILE UNDER THE KNIFE: KTM 450 XCW Rally Lite build
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:45 pm »
Farklejustalitus

An obsessive compulsive impulse control disorder. The irresistible urge to open farkle packages almost as soon as delivered just to view them, that then progresses swiftly to seeing how they fit that inevitably turns into hours of garage time that was not budgeted or planned for.

The disorder has a strong correlation to credit card debt - the more the debt the worse the impulse and productivity impact.

Usually only diagnosed after the disorder has ruined relations with either the employer, wife or bank manager, often all three simultaneously.

Not curable. Suggested treatment interventions are very expensive and with very low success rates through intensive group therapy with like affected individuals.

Next group session is in November, the lead therapist is Dr. Alexander Nel.

Bwahahahaha  :imaposer:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
I've got it bad.

From the Post Office, I've often only been able to get as far as my car before I open packages and once or twice, whilst still in the Post Office!
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »
A chronic condition, debilitating but not life threatening unless one pushes one's body to the very limits while on medication (particular concern over group therapy outings where fellow sufferers play down the impact of this disease and encourage one to act irresponsibly).

Best offset by regular exercise in what is known as the 'attack' position. I believe the most effective therapy involves distracting the sufferer, and calming the brain by making him or her follow lists of hieroglyphic inscriptions on long rolls of paper, while simultaneously chanting numbers between 0 and 360, maintaining balance on a fast moving platform and alternatively twisting wrists and squeezing index and forefingers against palm.

Women, for some reason, are largely immune to the condition. Much like another dangerous condition, 'man flu', they are known to show very little sympathy, and pooh-pooh its seriousness in a disdainful manner.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2014, 06:20:47 pm »
Regarding the lights, according to Baja Designs the new fuel injected KTMs put out plenty of power for them, but I will confirm that again.

Just seems it would give it extra stability esp with HPDE which has more flex?

Paul seems to think it will handle just fine with the weight I intend to carry, and has been tested as such. If I feel it needs extra mount points, there are the holes and brackets, yes. I'm also planning on having some spare parts. The nav tower is by far the most likely part of the bike to break on this little adventure.

Curious. What are you planning to use to carry your water? I'm currently designing  a rear rack that will take two tool tubes that can carry 1.5l each, or just one with water and one with tools, first aid etc... But I worry about the weight on the subframe

I have a couple ideas floating around at the moment. One is to build a kevlar/carbon bash plate myself if I have time, with a water container, another is to bolt a 1l Rotopax on opposite the exhaust, and another is a Giant Loop Mojavi with 2 500ml water bottles in the side pockets. Not sure if that will pass scrutineering, but I am assuming they will be a little lax on this. If a full Dakar-style water container was required they would have gone 2/3l rather - there's hardly a point in going to expensive bash plate-mounted water containers for just one litre.
Reckon the info is correct, read a review which stated the stator produced 200W of power. Would guess this to be DC so you are good to go  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »
According to Paul from HDB - and he's been running these lights for ages, so he should know -

It's a full DC system and uses only about 60watts for FI, ECU etc, so there's more then enough for 70watts of lights and 1w GPS. There are schematics in the repair manual, but they're not very good and I'm not even sure they're complete. We can try and help if you have a specific question, but I ran into the same thing when I first got my bike, no overall schematic like the 530/525's in the manual.

Thing is with this bike already pumping out 200watts DC you can wire in anything you'd like right from the battery.

There are a few things that are different, one is the Reg/Rect has a circuit that powers up the FI, ECU and lights and accessories through two different relays that stay on for a bit after the motor is killed, nice that it kills power to those without manually switching them off.

Offline T9ER

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Fortune favors the brave
    • Joeyevans.co.za
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:00 am »
I've got it bad.

From the Post Office, I've often only been able to get as far as my car before I open packages and once or twice, whilst still in the Post Office!

Ha Ha, I thought it was just me! I'm like a kid on his birthday, I always open them on the counter while they are processing the payment!! :laughing4:
The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

KTM 450RR

Offline bud500

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
Love this build and the writing style.
Quality pics too.  :thumleft:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:59 am »
This build has slowed to a crawl. There's been a lot of time spent in a chronic condition called 'Wiring Paralysis' which involves staring at KTM wiring diagrams, learning new software, making my own diagrams, discussing things with people on ADVRider and just generally engaging in some filthy procrastination. Time to get dirty.

But first, a report back on the weekend. I managed to get another hour or two in the man cave. What was really needed was an entire weekend, morning to midnight, to slap this thing down. Best laid plans and all...

So, before I got too tight with my fairing bolts, I decided I better put the steering damper on. Off with her head!

And on with the Scotts frame bracket and shallow top washer.

Took the opportunity to grease up the steerer bearings. Those things aren't going to be drying out any time soon, I can tell you for free.

Wham bam thank you m'am!

Next: off with her belly.

Quick inspection of the rat's nest of wiring at the fan - I want an override switch for the fan so I'm going to have to splice in here.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:27 am »
Fuel injection systems depend heavily on very clean fuel. Compromise here, and that injector is blocking up and my Amageza ride is coming to a swift stop, probably in some godforsaken deserted corner of the Richtersveld. A mod that lots of the US guys do is to replace the miniature 20 micron filter that sits in the fuel line quick release with one of these:

It's a stainless, washable Golan 10 micron filter, with a huge filtration surface area. A shame I didn't photograph the standard filter when I took it out and chucked it. It's incredible tiny - basically sits inside the fuel line. This isn't.

Now: A-cup vs Double-D.

The standard tank comes off with one bolt at the top and two bolts attaching the side panels to the radiator. The big boy attaches with just the one bolt at the top. Pretty neat, and one could switch between fuel bowser and lean enduro machine in 3 mins if one had two of these:

That's a fuel pump assembly. Two nuts at the bottom of the tank, and four little screws at the back for the electricals and out it comes. All pretty easy peasy, and a shame it's such an expensive piece, or I'd just buy another and have the two tank options ready to roll. I have got a spare Cycleworks fuel pump left from my 690, which I think matches this one, so that's going to be in my tool bag for Amageza.

Somewhat annoyingly the Acerbis/KTM 20l tank is significantly thinner at the base than the standard tank, so one has to cut a bit off the nut and fuel line spigot to get them to seat properly.

I bought the tank used, and unfortunately I discovered that the previous owner had stripped one of the threads that attach electrics at the back of the tank. How to repair a thread in polyprop fuel tank... anyone?

Also kept over from my 690 was a nice pair of official KTM Rally pegs, to suit my size 11's. This:

...vs this:

The main thing is not to get hit in the eye with the peg hanger spring when you try get them back in. Slippery little bastards.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:57 am »
Now... for some reason I've been a little apprehensive about the electrics on this bike. Wiring is often where rally bikes fall down, and Bang-Bang may be able to wind a road book on by hand while doing this:

...but I can't. And call me superstitious, but after this little incident http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=133427.msg2581691#msg2581691 I think I'm rightly paranoid about the potential for electrical maladies to destroy an otherwise wonderful little jaunt in sunny landscapes.

So, I dropped quite a lot of money here http://www.easternbeaver.com and got a bunch of high quality sealed connectors, little fuse boxes and a decent set of crimpers. Don't underestimate the importance of this. Man needs tools. And a good decision that proved to be.

I'm over 40, which means my eyesight has given me warning that my body has begun the long, slow process of degradation that will result in a horrible condition called Old Age. Which is why we take on idiotic enterprises such as this: to pretend to ourselves that life is good, the economy is indestructible and we shall live forever. But more to the point, it's hard to crimp wires on miniature connectors in the dark. Decisive action was needed, and I called up my good friend The Fox, and begged her to move her husband's (The Hawk) 990 out the garage so I could have lights to carry on my Very Important Rally Bike Build.

She saw my point (or generously indulged my depraved wailing and agreed to help), so I quickly slapped the bike back together... no lights, road book and ICO barely held on by one bolt, everything rattling... and gingerly rode it over in the dusk to their house. Did I mention the bike isn't roadworthy?

Quickly stripped the bike again, stared meaningfully at it for an hour, and decided the plastic weave sheathing I'd bought for the wiring was utter shite, and the automotive wire I had was also too thick, locked the garage in disgust and went home.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:35 am »
Thanks to the good folks here, and more wasted time shopping, I found some proper heat resistant sheathing here http://www.hellermanntyton.co.za and some really nice silicone-based wire at a place in Paarden Island. Both can take 180 degC which will just have to be enough.

So, back I went that night for a proper crack at getting the wiring underway. Here's my first attempt:

My favourite parts supplier in the entire world, Paul Degarate, makes these brilliant little billet LED indicators. Say GOODBYE! to broken rear indicators:

This is what you call a tail-tidy!

And the back end of the bike back on.

The rest of the night passed in a fury of crimping. Sooner or later you've just got to get stuck in. More action and less photographs, but here's where the evening ended. This little baby is a sealed Metripack fuse holder that now delivers power to my ICO, Roadbook and USB sockets on separate circuits. I reckon one more night and I might just have a rideable bike again. Now wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?

Offline bud500

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2014, 09:30:29 am »
Love that tail tidy!!
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:10 am »
Looking good so far!  :thumleft:

I am definitely leaning towards building a bike myself next time round
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2014, 09:33:29 am »
Looking good so far!  :thumleft:

I am definitely leaning towards building a bike myself next time round

It's a jol. Half science project half art project. :)

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37:44 am »
I must learn to take photos like that. Makes it look even prettier.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:02 am »
Sorry but that head bearing looks a bit dry for my liking  ::)  Wonder what the lower one looks like ... normally worse. I actually like to pop the seals off if they have and rinse and repack properly with best grade grease ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:39 am »
Sorry but that head bearing looks a bit dry for my liking  ::)  Wonder what the lower one looks like ... normally worse. I actually like to pop the seals off if they have and rinse and repack properly with best grade grease ...

Yeah I packed them both, top and bottom, with grease (photo was pre-grease). I just have a tub of Belray waterproof stuff. What do you recommend?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:02 am »

Yeah I packed them both, top and bottom, with grease (photo was pre-grease). I just have a tub of Belray waterproof stuff. What do you recommend?

That sounds just right  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Bazinga

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Nat-Su-Kow
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 11:03:25 am »
Just great!!

Keep it up

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »
I was determined to finish this build this weekend. My brother had a birthday party Friday night, and I woke up with a beastly hangover from hell, but it's surprising how a day spent alone, in a cold, dark garage can sooth a ravaged brain.

Time to set upon the top clamp. Switches in, and LED's superglued in and wired up:

It's a fiddly job for big fingers.

Tested and working! Relief.

There are a lot of vulnerable wires and solder, so it made sense to silicone the whole lot together to keep everything stable. It all ended up a bit neater than this picture suggests.

Relay for the brights. The low beam was wired to an programmable Skene 175 dimmer. Nice piece of kit, that. The lights have an override off switch on the top clamp, and the brights button at the throttle hand switches between 50% power on the bottom light (wide-cornering Baja Designs Squadron) and 100% on both lights.

The top clamp dried overnight and went back on with a 6-way Sumitomo connector. One power bus for the four switches and one ground bus for the LEDs. The four switches will run: lights on/off; nav power; fan override; and something else.

This is where it all started to go a little pear. Wiring had been a joy to this point, but it's the final harness connections that start to become a bit of a mare. There's a lot of cables up front, three harnesses arriving at the base and way too many connections for my peace of mind.

One thing that really helps is that you can take one side of the HDB fairing off and really see what's going on.

The battery end is looking sorted, though. Testing complete, and everything's working but I've got to lose a lot of bulk at the front somehow.