Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: LC engine temperature  (Read 2826 times)

Offline OomD

LC engine temperature
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:22 pm »
Up to what engine temperature should one ride moderately with the LC? I used to wait till one or two bars appear on the previous GS before considering the engine as warmed up, but never knew what actual temperature that translated to.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: LC engine temperature
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:25:02 am »
I check, and the moment it reaches 80 degrees, dan gooi ek mielies

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:47 am »
I also wait until the temp is above 80 before I open up

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41:52 am »
Ek hou revs laag tot by 60 dan begin ek te ry, gooi ook eers die mielies hier van 80 af.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
Up to what engine temperature should one ride moderately with the LC? I used to wait till one or two bars appear on the previous GS before considering the engine as warmed up, but never knew what actual temperature that translated to.

Mine runs at around 85 - 89 degrees and so does my wife's.  I reckon you will be safe if you use 80 degrees as suggested.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:40:03 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly wait till it reaches 80 degrees.

But this got me thinking. The temperature used to be one of the main items on the instrument clkuster that you cannot switch off or disable, much like the engine temperature is part of any vehicle's instrument cluster. Why have they made it an item you need to "find" amongst other items now, instead of a permently displayed item? I'n guessing it is becomming less critical? Sort of like a nice FIY piece of info instead of a critial one?

But, does that mean that engine temperature is not as critical as it was previously? I cannot imagine that. To me temperature is critical.

Not complaining or anything, just wondering.

My wife's NC also does not have a temperature display. I really wonder about this.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:50:08 pm »

But this got me thinking. The temperature used to be one of the main items on the instrument clkuster that you cannot switch off or disable, much like the engine temperature is part of any vehicle's instrument cluster. Why have they made it an item you need to "find" amongst other items now, instead of a permently displayed item? I'n guessing it is becomming less critical? Sort of like a nice FIY piece of info instead of a critial one?

But, does that mean that engine temperature is not as critical as it was previously? I cannot imagine that. To me temperature is critical.

My wife's NC also does not have a temperature display. I really wonder about this.

I also wonder about this OomD, my wife's mini also do not have a temperature gauge?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:33:51 pm »

I normally ride with my engine temp display selected.  Can't think of any other bit of info I would rather see.  I am also pretty sure, just like fuel, tire pressure, oil pressure, etc.  the display will change to temp automatically if there is a problem.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:49:51 pm »
Where are the tech guys- LeCap, Welsh ???

Maybe the wet clutch and stuff has a different configuration that they do not really need to warm up the oil or something?

I will forward the link to the thread to some people

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
Just spoke to our tech guy from the local stealers. He says a bike should always be allowed to warm up before riding into high revolutions, but even 80 degrees is not even required. He says as long as you pull away nicely and let it warm up for about two robots, you can start making donuts at the third robot.

He says the chances of breaking or doing damage when riding away cold at high revolutions is possible, so temperature is still vital and should be borne in mind.

Offline OomD

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:47:28 pm »
I normally ride with my engine temp display selected.  Can't think of any other bit of info I would rather see.  I am also pretty sure, just like fuel, tire pressure, oil pressure, etc.  the display will change to temp automatically if there is a problem.
I agree, but cannot see what kind of a problem could make the engine temperature be forcefully displayed? Unless, off course, the ECU monitors the RPM for that.

A while ago I built an electronic speedo for the Harley I had at the time. One of the features was indicating a lower RPM redline until the engine reached operating temperature. At the time I got a lot of info off the Harley forums, most of the technical guys there seemed to think that 50 degrees was the minimum temperature, and that by the time it reached 70 it was warm enough to redline.

So, maybe the ecu limits the RPM based on temperature? Nah, I don't think it does. I don't see anything in the manual either, no info as to when the engine is considered warm. Weird.

Offline bikegeklap

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200 GS TE
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 12:51:39 pm »
I agree, but cannot see what kind of a problem could make the engine temperature be forcefully displayed? Unless, off course, the ECU monitors the RPM for that.

A while ago I built an electronic speedo for the Harley I had at the time. One of the features was indicating a lower RPM redline until the engine reached operating temperature. At the time I got a lot of info off the Harley forums, most of the technical guys there seemed to think that 50 degrees was the minimum temperature, and that by the time it reached 70 it was warm enough to redline.

So, maybe the ecu limits the RPM based on temperature? Nah, I don't think it does. I don't see anything in the manual either, no info as to when the engine is considered warm. Weird.

Something zi Germans did not think about...  :imaposer: :imaposer:
Again the SA Boys can show the way!!  :laughing4:

I have found that if the bike was slightly hammered from start-up, the bike is actually bit more responsive for the entire trip.. totally against what we got taught in engineering..

One Life Live It!!
Bikes:    BMW R1200GS TE (Current)
             Triumph Sprint 1050 ST ,BMW R1200 GS Adventure,
             Kawasaki Versys 650 ,Aprilia Pegaso 650 ,Honda XL125

Offline TheBear

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:01 pm »
Just spoke to our tech guy from the local stealers. He says a bike should always be allowed to warm up before riding into high revolutions, but even 80 degrees is not even required. He says as long as you pull away nicely and let it warm up for about two robots, you can start making donuts at the third robot.

I never take the word of the guy who TAKES my money when there is a breakdown.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:24:16 pm by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »

He says the chances of breaking or doing damage when riding away cold at high revolutions is possible, so temperature is still vital and should be borne in mind.

I never take the word of the guy who TAKES my money when there is a breakdown.

Ek wou iets s maar my eerste enjin het nie gehou nie...sal maar stilbly!

Offline TheBear

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 09:01:25 am »
Ek wou iets s maar my eerste enjin het nie gehou nie...sal maar stilbly!

Soms, is stilte net soveel beter.   :ricky:

Ek moet erken, ek is nog ou skool.  My pa het sekere bestuurstegnieke in my in gedon ... uhm, ingelyfstraf.  Dis hoe dit was destyds.  Vaders kon hulle seuns goed regsien en as jy die polisie bel, slat hulle jou ook.  In elk geval, ek ry nie 'n koue engine hard nie.  Laat dit ook nie labour nie.  Start 'n enjin nie met die hoofligte aan nie, ens, ens, ens..  

Te bang my pa rys uit sy graf en kom mo ... uhm, lyfstraf my weer.   :ricky:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:04:52 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Sommer Ek

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:49 pm »
Ek wens ek het geweet hoe om 'n BMW te start sonder dat die hoofligte aan is. In my opinie een van die krippelste patente van BMW is dat die ligte aan is sodra jy die sleutel draai. Meeste batterye hou nie lewenslank nie. Indien die battery dalk net nie meer so goed is nie kan die ligte daardie laaste bietjie krag gebruik, daardie bietjie wat die engin kan laat vat.

Dalk stupid maar ek glo ook nog daarin dat die elektronika eers al sy dinge moet doen en al die liggies laat flikker voor ek die knop van plesier druk.

Offline OomD

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 06:54:49 am »
My oue (2008) en my niwe L. Se ligte kom eers aan na die enjin reeds loop. Die spots kom egter vroer aan op die oue, maar bulle was after-market wat apart inbedraad was.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 08:25:40 am »
My oue (2008) en my niwe L. Se ligte kom eers aan na die enjin reeds loop. Die spots kom egter vroer aan op die oue, maar bulle was after-market wat apart inbedraad was.

Jip.  My 2009 was so, maar ek dink dis net die 1200's.  Het jy ooit agtergekom as hy aam is by die sleutel, maar die enjin loop nie is die lig af.  Die oomblik as jy die bike stoot kom die ligte aan.  Nogal nifty.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:27:08 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 10:14:20 am »
Ek het hierdie gekry op www. Ek het nie getoets of dit werk op die LC nie

Turning the Headlights OFF 1200GS & F800GS
The procedure is as follows:
1. Turn the ignition on and allow the startup-check cycle to complete.
The headlights will be off (this is normal).
2. Hold turn-signal cancel switch for 4-5 secs.
3. Hold right turn-signal switch for 4-5 secs.
4. Start engine.
5. Lights should remain OFF.
This will reset next time you switch off the ignition. The headlights will be off, but the park lights will remain on.