Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Reliability of KTM 640 Adventure  (Read 1299 times)

Offline MCoetzee

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
Reliability of KTM 640 Adventure
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:21 am »
Please share some experiences (good and bad) on the reliability of the 640 Adventure through Africa, especially pertaining to poor quality / low octane fuel.  Planning CA - Cairo this yr.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: Reliability of KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:29:42 am »
Please introduce yourself in the 'New Members Section'
You will find that established members are more likely to assist you once you have shown everyone this courtesy

Welcome btw.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:45:50 am »
Please share some experiences (good and bad) on the reliability of the 640 Adventure through Africa, especially pertaining to poor quality / low octane fuel.  Planning CA - Cairo this yr.
I will try and get you Stiffy's number, he recently rode down on one from England, they had minimal issues, getting stuck on a ferry for 5 weeks on the Congo was the worst they really experienced.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:08:33 pm »
Doctor in EL travelled through Africa on a old 640, don't know if he had any trouble but he got here, if it's anything to go by.

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline Donald

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:17 pm »
Over the years I have spoken to numerous travellers through Africa that have used the 640. The general consensus is of a good solid reliable motorcycle. In some countries there is very low octane petrol but there is a wire which can be disconnected to compensate.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 03:22:30 am »
It's more racey than most 650's so maintenance should be higher but I reckon they are just as reliable as any other bike. They are vibey though to the point where wires can rub through, so I've been told by a kenner.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
My only experience of one is Brakenjan's bike. 2200km through Kaoko on good fuel and it still didn't finish the trip even though the bike had less than 10k kilos on the clock. Then again, the 08 KLR didn't do to well either. I wouldn't risk it.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:51:52 am »
www.2muppets.com

Decide for yourself
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:20:04 am »
on our Nam trip we came across this couple
they both rode down on identical 640's

one KTM broke down somewhere in Africa and had to be abandoned.
Fortunately they managed to obtain an old 80GS.

When we encountered them, they had almost reached Cape Town (where they were planning to get rid of the remaining 640 and try to obtain another 80GS or rig it up for two-up travel

Offline gerhad

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:30:21 am »
I met a guy last week who came down Africa with a 640 KTM and he had alot of trouble with the bike on his way down to Cape Town.  I did not asked in detail what went wrong cause I was in a hurry.  He said that his choise of bike will not be a KTM 640 if he had to do it again.  The trip almost took him twice as long as planned.
Ability is useless unless it's used!!!
So...Gooi MIELIES!!!!

Offline Giraffe

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:20:43 pm »
I spoke to Luke a few days after he got back (www.aficanwestcoast.co.za) and he said that they had minimal problems. There were 3 KTM640's. He reckons that he would not choose any other bike if he had to do it again.I have got 6500km's on mine now and not a days problem and almost all of that has been off-road

bobnob

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 07:09:05 pm »
read this thread (3 pages)

no boo or baa - only list of guys that own 640's that list all their issues - i think this is brilliant - gives you a fair idea of a bike

can also see that a specific year model had the same problems on a certain area - ie. you that if you buy that year model you know what to fix before it breaks...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ktm-tech/ktm-640-adv-problems-list-9345

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 08:22:51 pm »
I know of a guy that went to Cairo and back twice on a 640. Do't know if he had any issues, but he had it rebuilt after the second time
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:04:18 pm »
I also think prepping the bike has a influence on the reliablity.
Stiffy did a lot to his 640, strengthened his tank, lightened the front suspension by taking off one disk and caliper, etc.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:47:38 pm »
As with all bikes i beleive one has to prepare them properly, ride within the limits of the machine, do not abuse the motor and ride within your capabilities at all times.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline African child

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Not all who wander are lost
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17:21 pm »
25000KM op myne sover nie sover nie n dag se probleme nie. Dienste doen ek streng op of voor elke 5000km. Op die grondpad waar die slet die meeste is gooi ek kole maar op die teerpad en lang reguitstukke hou ek haar onder 6000rpm. Ek is gister met haar op my eie vanaf Grabouw na Cederberg Oasis vir n middagete en terug Grabouw toe. Net so onder die 700km vir die dag sonder dinge. Die beste van alles is ek het in De Doorns vol gemaak, Oasis toe gery +- 200km verder en gemaklik gevoel met my brandstof aangesien ek weet ek gaan 400+ km op n tenk kry. Ek hou nie van te veel beplan nie en dit gee my die vryheid om te ry in die rigting waarheen ek lus kry sonder brandstof worries. Sys beslis nie almal se koppie tee nie purrr meer soos n leeu as n huiskat met haar enjin se VIBBBBBBES, sy lig haar pote vir n teerpad soos n kat vir water, maaaaar gee haar n tweespoor grondpad dan verlei sy jou soos die stoute Lolypop lady om haar speelpaal.... >:D Jou keuse die huisvroutjie of die slet...........   
A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places