WR 450 Rally NL Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3THRO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Hi All

At first I wanted to do as much of the rally conversion myself but very soon realized it will end in tears.
So I took the advice of a couple wise old dogs and made contact with Niklaus Lutzeler in Woodstock. His company is called NL Design cc and he has done an excellent job with my bike. I would recommend him to all, he is professional and very easy to work with.

The first pic is the day before I started fitting my Safari tanks and realized what a nightmare the fuel lines alone would present never mind the rally tower, electronics etc.

I picked up my bike this afternoon and Niklaus says mine is nr. 15 already and I think his business is about to explode along with the whole rally scene in SA.

I will be doing a long ride on Saturday to test everything and feel how the suspension handles the extra weight and also to see what milage I get per litre. I have about 25 litre in total now and no idea yet if this will be enough for the 270 km range stated for the Amageza.
Some stickers will still be added too.

The bike is a 2013 WR 450 F
Just off the top of my head here is a list of the main extras:

Safari front and rear tanks
Rally tower + lights (NL Design)
Rally fairing (NL Design)
Oil cooler (NL Design)
F2R Road book
ICO
Voyager GPS
Custom header pipe (Scorch)

A word of the wise to anyone hoping to the same Safari tanks: Because my bike is fuel injected and the fuel pump sits inside the tank  (bottom left) ,it took quite some modification to the tanks , the fuel pump and the hoses to get it all to work. Again Niklaus did a superb job of getting over that hurdle with NO help from Safari. After loads of enquieries from myself and Niklaus I got the idea that they weren't really prepared for the FI models yet. They just made tanks that will fit those bikes without thinking too much about the details.

Big thanks to Niklaus from NL Design cc, Chris from Flying brick and Reynard from Scorch.

Please all input will be appreciated.
I am still considering to Moose or not to Moose + Niklaus is busy with a carrier to accommodate the water + tools + medical kit  I need to carry on the bike.
At the moment running soft Mitas front and back because my riding here is mostly sand so Choice of tyres for the big day still to be determined.

Attachments

• 1 Before.jpg
    1 Before.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 873