Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike starter problems  (Read 500 times)

Offline Damianv

Bike starter problems
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »
Hi,
I am having some trouble with the starter and the digital display on my 09 690 Enduro R.

First the starter issue: For some odd reason when I press the starer button the bike sometimes does not fire up, but I can hear this nasty electric clicking/shorting out noise near the back of the bike. If I press it a couple more times It will fire up and start the bike. a Mechanic at KTM had a quick look with his voltage meter and the battery tested fine. I opened the starter button housing and cleaned it out with contact cleaner and I cleaned most of the connectors under the seat and checked the fuses and cleaned them and the housing as well but nothing solved it. Not really sure what else could be causing it?

Digital display issue: When the bike finely fires up I have noticed that the digital display would switch off and on and sometimes repeats this a couple of times flashing on and off  :-[ Not sure if it might be water damage as it seems the problem started after a light drizzle today, and I replaced the spark plug as well today. I Made sure it's the exact same type of spark plug as the old one though.

I have not really worked on bike electronics so I don't really want to start taking things apart only to find myself stuck causing more problems than I solve.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Sic

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 690 R, Triumph Tiger 800 XC, Honda XR 650L
Re: Bike starter problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:58:26 pm »
I had a similiar problem with intermittent starting problems. It was simply a loose connection. Check all your connections from the battery to the the CPU's etc.

Offline JMG

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:54:51 pm »
First check the batery, if you're going to stick a volt meter on it do so under load, ie it should with ignition on read 12,2v more or less, if you press the happy button it shouldn't fall under 11v if there's no drop the fault lays between the batery and the switch. The switch is powered from your ignition.
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline supertorro

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:33:34 am »
I just had the same symptoms on my Aprilia: difficulty starting but the bike would eventually start. Bled the tank dry to ensure there was no water in there, that didn't solve the problem. Ripped the batteries out and charged and monitored battery voltage: standing free, attached to bike, while starter swinging over etc...nada. Eventually decided to rip out the starter motor and check it out. Lo and behold, corrosion everywhere, far as the eye can see. Spent about 5 hours cleaning up and sanding away metal surfaces. Now she swings over with a vengeance. Starter motor is piss easy to service so that might be an idea. Initially didn't think it was the starter because she actually did start after some tlc.

Offline Damianv

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:55 am »
Thanks guys, I will take another look "under the hood" and see if I can clean all the connectors and such and the starter it's self.
I got a repair manual for my bike recently so will be using that  ;D

Offline Blender

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:28 pm »
80% of these intermittent electrical problems is a loose wire. most probably earthing...
 my 2c !
Honda Varadero
KTM 690 Enduro R
'90 KDX200
'83 XT500 (never should've sold) :(
MBX50 (the first one!)