Bike starter problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damianv

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Hi,
I am having some trouble with the starter and the digital display on my 09 690 Enduro R.

First the starter issue: For some odd reason when I press the starer button the bike sometimes does not fire up, but I can hear this nasty electric clicking/shorting out noise near the back of the bike. If I press it a couple more times It will fire up and start the bike. a Mechanic at KTM had a quick look with his voltage meter and the battery tested fine. I opened the starter button housing and cleaned it out with contact cleaner and I cleaned most of the connectors under the seat and checked the fuses and cleaned them and the housing as well but nothing solved it. Not really sure what else could be causing it?

Digital display issue: When the bike finely fires up I have noticed that the digital display would switch off and on and sometimes repeats this a couple of times flashing on and off  :-[ Not sure if it might be water damage as it seems the problem started after a light drizzle today, and I replaced the spark plug as well today. I Made sure it's the exact same type of spark plug as the old one though.

I have not really worked on bike electronics so I don't really want to start taking things apart only to find myself stuck causing more problems than I solve.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!