Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Magaliesberg ride Saturday 08/03 Report.  (Read 3367 times)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
Magaliesberg ride Saturday 08/03 Report.
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:11:24 pm »
As Splash organized the ride i am not going to hijack it, but just lay a foundation. I was riding with as this is a area i have never ridden in ??? and decided to have some fun and take some photo's as well as just take it easy ;D We all met at the Sasol garage at Pinehaven and left for who knows where ::) I was playing follow the leader. The WD's who came along as far as my selective memory loss allows me to remember were- Splash. Beemer Mike. Cave Girl nice to see her after i last saw her in Clarence( Fly-Fishing week - end) Bok, Malgat , Adventure Boy, Frans West, Uncle, Gunda Gunda our portable Cappuchino machine ::) Man he can ride with any day that coffee stop is worth it. Louwrens DL. and myself. As we left the bgarage it started raining. shit i thought another wet ride ??? Fortunately the sun came out and the weather was perfect ;D Some pic's the rest can be filled in by the WD's who new where we were going. Eh het net saamgery.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:14:52 pm by blazes »
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
Re: Magaliesberg ride Saturday 08/03 Report.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »
Some pics of the Cosmos flowersCave Girl with the mysterious yellow bag on the back of her KLE ??? and Gunda posing for Ryperd and all the Lesbian riders ;D
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:27:22 pm »
Some more pics . At the stop sign Louwrens DL :o Yes that is a paintbrush he is cleaning the dust off his helmet with ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
And some more of the group on the move. :o
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:45:12 pm »
Eventually Breedsnek and coffee ;D With the compliments of Gunda ;) As for the biscuits sponsored by Malgat ??? ??? That Topbox is scary anything you put inthere changes shape. ;D Coffee and KRUMMELS. :o Some pic's of the area and rode up the last bit to have a nicer view and to see what the fuss is about ??? ???
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:48:55 pm »
On the way down and the group still moving along at this stage ;)
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:53:48 pm »
And still they come. And beleive it or not, How far will someone go to colour code everything on their bikes. ??? Frans west decided to do this to hos 990 KTM's headers ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:33:14 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 07:09:04 pm »
Between this section and the puncture Lourens dl had a encounter with mother earth and rocks. Was so tempted to take some photo's ;D But the safety of a rider i feel is more important than a few cheap pictures. Fortunately he was not hurt too bad and and all was Ok. Hope you are not to sore today Lourence. ;) Splash and the PUNCTURE. Well this is a long story and i am not even going to start to tell it ;D Except that KTM have their own road assistance team as shown in the picture sponsored by Yamaha quads ;D By the way the YELLOW bag Cave Girl was carrying on her bike we found out was to pick mielies for the needy ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:28:09 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 07:23:14 pm »
As for Malgat. ??? Take this man with you  and you are guaranteed to get free beer even if it is on the moon. The farmer we met beleived it was his duty to supply the WD's with free beer after Malgat spoke to him ;D. I think i will no longer ride with these WD's as Malgat now blames me for Lourens dl's fall ??? The rest left after the puncture episode --some home and others on another never ending story with Gunda. I had to get home and do the family braai thing with friend's who do not blame me when the cat falls pregnant ;D
Current Scooters --

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »
I''l just add some pis for now.
Lourens de Lange

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
And more...
Lourens de Lange

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:44:51 pm »
And even more...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:49:56 pm by Lourens.dL »
Lourens de Lange

shark_za

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:47:59 pm »
Hey, you guys missed the beer stop.
Back there! Oi, wait.

We rode up there today, great fun.

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »
Hey, you guys missed the beer stop.

No they did not! Everyone knows - well known fact you get a hellava lot of pis from one beer!

I''l just add some pis for now.

:o
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:44:40 pm »
Well it certainly was a busy day, and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks to Gunda Gunda for showing me to the starting point, Splash for organizing and everybody else for being great riding buddies. It's great to meet some new faces, and see some old ones again.
Yet again I learned a helluva lot on the ride, especially about repairing punctures. Punctures are not welcome, but seeing Splash and Blazes fix this one will come in handy one day, I know that for sure. (Oh, and thanks to KTM Support Magalies as well. They ride Yamaha!). I did take photies, but those posted already tells the whole tale.
Lourens, glad to see you can still post!
See you all on another day, safe riding untill then.

Uncle
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
That XT has one serious bash plate!

Nice pics, looks like a good time was had by all. 
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 09:55:51 pm »
Some pics from the "phase two" ride.

Disclaimer : bit of personal and South African history and totally non-biking stuff to follow:-

I spent the years between my eighth and eighteenth birthdays on a trout farm in the Magaliesburg area, and when I heard from Splash that we would be riding past the farm I could not resist them temptation to do the nostalgia thing and visit.  I spent a few hours on the phone to find out who owned the farm and learned that the farm was sold to a developer last year and is to be developed into an up-market estate. I managed to get hold of the manager who kindly gave permission to visit.

The place is historically interesting. It was owned by a very wealthy Englishman we knew as "Old man" Pratt (I think his name was Beresford) and, with remote help from my late father, who had a Masters in Marine Biology and worked for the Department of Sea Fisheries in Cape Town, set up one of the first trout hatcheries in the country. After the death of "Old Man" Pratt the farm was inherited by his son David, and when we moved up-country he invited us to stay with him on the farm and help with the hatchery.

David Pratt was a strange man, and during the Rand Show in 1960 on a whim he loaded up a .32 pistol, walked into the VIP box and put two bullets into the Prime Minister, HF Verwoerd's head.

Had he used a pistol of larger calibre he would certainly have killed him, but Verwoerd survived to be fatally stabbed in parliament years later by Dimitry Tsafendas.

Pratt was declared mentally unfit to stand trial, was sent to a special prison in Bloem where he later, at least according to prison authorities, committed suicide on his birthday watched by his cell-mate, Diesel, who had murdered his wife and chopped her into little pieces.

I liked Diesel - he used to make us tea when we visited.  

In his will he left our family the use of the farm for twenty years, but we stayed on for about ten before handing over the farm to the Pratt estate.  

The hatchery has been closed for quite a few years - the flow of the Magalies River, which rises on the farm, has dwindled from 1,2Ml/H to 0,3Ml/H while the water temperature at source has risen from 16 to 18 degC. The Pratt house in which we stayed has been deserted for quite a few years.

It was wierd to visit - sad to see what had happened to the place, but good to hear of the development plans and that the Pratt house it to be renovated.

Pics show the house - as it is now and 35 Years ago, and the hatchery.          
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Franswest

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:44 am »
Thank's Splash for a great ride!!!! ;D

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 06:41:04 am »
Got a bit carried away with "plaasgeskiedenis" and forgot my manners and to thank Splash for another lekker ride, and to thank The Cave Girl, Splash and Malgat for riding with me down memory lane.

Also, Cave Girl got caught by a mini-mud-monster - Hope you not limping too badly today S.

I include a pic of the cookies in Malgat's top-box. I was hungry but I was not going to eat them with a spoon as you never know what had lurked in that top-box before.

So much for the organic cookies that "make you ride faster"  :D
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 07:35:34 am »
I was on my way early Saturday morning to visit my boet in Stilfontein. When I stopped at the intersection and looked over to the Sasol garage I saw a number of DS bikes starting to gather and I said to my wife that I bet that those were wilddogs.

I should have stopped and said hello  :-\

The clouds were looking pretty ominous and we did get some rain in Krugersdorp, but then it opened up and I suspected that you guys would have a lovely ride. Glad to see it turned out that way.

Thanks for the pictures and reports.