Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Magaliesberg ride Saturday 08/03 Report.  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Splash

Re: Magaliesberg ride Saturday 08/03 Report.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:33 am »
Thanks to all eleven brave riders that ventured out into the west into what looked like was going to be a wet day.

Stories normally have a beginning, middle and end, well this one only really had a beginning and then a pucture. I cannot thank blazes enough for repairing my tire three times. It took two tubes to eventually get going again. A very kind farmer and assistant that not only supplied beers but a spanner that worked (the original bent) and a compressor (saved lots of additional frustration).

Why did this have to happen to me, but I learnt a thing or two - always ride with good friends that are patient enough while one fumbles about (and that carry spare tubes).

I think the farmer was a little harsh in remarking that we would have lost the Dakar rally if we took that long too repair a puncture. I was just happy to get going again.

I have not had any joy in getting any warranty on the spanner and it was suggested that I get a proper one. So much for tools.

We did get to ride some great roads and enjoyed a day in the countyside, even if part of it was under a tree.

Splash
Have bike, will ride.

Offline l3oK

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 09:19:07 am »
Thanks Splash for the organizing of the ride. And everybody else that made it an enjoyable and educative(Tyre repair gunk does not work‚?¶) experience. Was nice to finally meet some dogs, and I will definitely join again. Some more pics to follow.

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 09:20:26 am »
Thank you Splash for organising the ride and everybody for a good ride.  It was very nice to meet new people and to be able to put some faces to those names. The WD's are truly a great bunch of people.

Falling or having an encounter with mother earth and rocks as blazes puts it it quite a humbling experience. It brings you back down to ground level very quick!  ;D   Especially in front of ten other riders!  :redface:  The damage to the XT is minimal but I'm in need of a new left hand mirror.  The damage to my body is also negligible but the dent in my ego is enormous!  ;D   Thanks for your concerns.
Lourens de Lange

Offline Cave Girl

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 09:31:53 am »
Thanks Splash for a great ride :D :D - longest I have ever done on dirt. Malgat thanks for lifting the bike off of me! Gunda for the historic ride and the chance to pick some pom pom weed  ;) Sorry didn't have a camera to take photos of the fall ... I have to learn to control my bike in mud  >:( I was not able to walk yesterday - the ankle was not so bad but I must have twisted the knee somehow - spent the day in bed pissed off that I was missing the white water rafting! Could not bend the knee enough to get into the cage this morning so had to use the bike - only to discover the whole front of the bike is skew..... hopefully not too serious - it did get me home on Saturday (through one hell of a storm) and to work this morning. Gone in to be chekced out.
Sharron
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 09:33:38 am »
Glad you guys had fun also pleased to hear you ok Lourens.
Just a bit of useless information, My Dad owned Pinehaven Motors many many years ago.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:14 am »
Opps forgot to say thanks to Mike and Iep for fixing the chain on my bike

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 10:28:17 am »
thanx all you dudes and dudette

lekka ride,,,lekka countryside, lekka bikes,,,lekka lekka lekka,,,i left 6 am and got home 7pm,,,and still had sunday also

what amazes me most is how such glorius rides can be found just alongside the hiway and inbetween the concrete jungle,,,,when i got my bike i thought the only spot close was de wildt and lesotho,,,but right around my doorstep is this endless networks of dirt glorius dirt roads,,,my bike isnt just a bike,,,its a time machine

also meeting these people al with different backgrounds and interests,,,,when i joined the wilddogs it was like marrying into a 1000 new brothers and sisters,,,,wooo hooo,,,im getting kinda gunda gunda here,,,,but its true and i salute you all,,

my take on the ride was:

lekka feeling that nip in the air,,,its comfy and warm to wear attgat,,,,arrive at the satrting point, we get briefed by splash and we're off,,,,2 kms and it starts raining,,,wooo hooo i think,,,mud  glorius mud,,,,

i see franswest brand spanking new katoom and kit and clothing and i think devious plans to spray him with mud,,,i cant wait to deflower the virgin???

and we hit tracks,,,,huge roads one can open up on,,,,i like this kind of riding,,,those you can "wfo" on the throttle and then go into panic when something jumps into the road and wants to snatch your bike or pull you down,,,,like "knypping" all the time and going flat out at the same time,,,lotsa adrenalien,,,

anyway we reached breedts nek and its cuppaciono time and cookies, needless to say i need to buy stronger cookies next time,,,what about those old army dog biscuits,,,,we quickly re adjust cave girls chain tension as it was slapping and had just came from the bike shop,,,,thats nr 1,,,things happen in 3 they say,,,,we then go around rustenburg area around buffelsdam and stop for petrol and food,,,,i end up buying the oiliest chips of my life but then again me and my bike suip oil gladly,,,

we kinda do a wide circle and its time to go back to jhb side,,,where splash get a puncture,,,,problem nr 2, so its foam and pompo and ride,,,,,after about 2 kms its time for problem nr 3 and lourens takes a very gracefull slide over a rocky berm in the corner,,,no real damage, a side mirrorand  some ego mostly as lets face it it isnt lekka ,,,we continue and thats where problem nr 2 pops up again,,,,,again its more foam and we ride like hell to get to a garage,,,franswest, myself and lourens streaking ahead and after 5 kms we noticed nobody is following us,,,we pull over and sit in the shade,,,after 45 min we back track to find they have opened a puncture shop along the way and its spanners and tubes and patch and solution,,,,,

anyway we make some mistakes in repairing the wheel and in the mean time the farmer comes and kuiers with us bringing beers and offering his house for expresso and a party,,,like they say you meet the most amazing people along the road,,,after 3 tubes we are mobile,,,its about 14h00 and some left to get home,,,,

eventually its just 4 of us(splash, cave girl,myself and gunda gunda),,,,we stop for lunch at magaliesburg and follow gunga gunga on his childhood memory trail,,,,they say before you judge a man you need to walk a mile in his boots,,,this we did and what a journey,,,,what amazing chilhood you've had and your stories are vivid and alive and wil live on for eva in my mind as well,,,,thanx for that trip to the farm and it was my privelege to be there,,,seeing the eye of the magalies  river and the ruins of the fish hatchery was remarkable,,,,

gunda gunda, i really think we need to open a new thread of its own about the farm and then please tell the masses about the stories of that farm in africa,,,the eagle that could eventually land, the radio arial episode, large wine cellar, the delft tiles , the huge rooms with fireplaces and heaps of cupboards, the toilet with an outside door, the silo,the donkie, the mine, the fish hatcheries and the eye of the river that runs through it,,

once again i salute you all,,,nice to meet new faces like beemer mike, uncle, and the already faces of the rest,,,cant wait for next weekend
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 10:40:03 am »
allow me 2 more postscripts,,,,

1. now isnt this just a mooi seun,,,,wouldnt you just love to spray him with mud,,,,am i the only one thinking this or what?????

2. cave girl??? where is your boyfriend????? ehm,,,,that bag looked mighty suspicious and i could swear you were throwing pieces away along the way and when we finished the trip it was full 0f mielies??? i rest my case
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 11:48:17 am »
It wasn't meilies it was pom pom weed!!! And I thought you were a farmer..... and please I asked you to keep the dirstibution of the ex between us!!

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 12:26:46 pm »
yes,,,, but whats that in the road,,,a head????
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Beemer Mike

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 12:28:56 pm »
Ditto to all said, twas great meeting you all. Great ride, thanks Splash. And don't forget... if you don't fall off then you are not trying hard enough!!! >:D
BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »
And don't forget... if you don't fall off then you are not trying hard enough!!! >:D

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so ready to go out and not try so hard again!  ;D
Lourens de Lange

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 12:41:01 pm »
And don't forget... if you don't fall off then you are not trying hard enough!!! >:D

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so ready to go out and not try so hard again!  ;D

sien lourens,,,ek se jou mos dis blazes se skuld,,,hy maak dit maklik lyk en nou try almal soos hy ry,,neee wat ek ry maar agter hom aan,,,hys mal ,,,hys defnitief nie lekker in sy kop nie,,,maar jissie jy moet hom sien sukkel met n agter wiel,,,,maar dan hy kan paaaie uitsnuffel en goeie fotos neem,,,he he,,,wooooo hooooo
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Franswest

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »
Ja ja Malgat haal my uit oor my nuwe kit!!!! ;D ;D ;D Dit was n great ride en ek hoop om julle weer op die volgende een te sien

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »

sien lourens,,,ek se jou mos dis blazes se skuld,,,hy maak dit maklik lyk en nou try almal soos hy ry,,neee wat ek ry maar agter hom aan,,,hys mal ,,,hys defnitief nie lekker in sy kop nie,,,maar jissie jy moet hom sien sukkel met n agter wiel,,,,maar dan hy kan paaaie uitsnuffel en goeie fotos neem,,,he he,,,wooooo hooooo
Hey Malgat be careful what you say ;D Botswana is just arround the corner. Do you know the route ??? I do ;D Not a nice place to go missing between Gweta and Lethakane ;D  Need to plan a training day to teach you WD's to ride corners and not stop halfway through ;D ;D
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52:39 pm »
sorrie boss man!!!!!
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 01:57:39 pm »
Ja, I think its all blaze's fault.  Most of the day I was cruising lekker thinking to myself "Catch me if you can boys" and then blazes just blazed past in an apparent non-effort way and that can do damage to a persons self esteem. The way he goes through turns as if it is tar is definitely beyond me. He tried to explain but I seem to have a bit of a gap between the practical execution and the theory.  ;D
Lourens de Lange

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 02:26:45 pm »
blazes,,,i rest my case?????

frans west,,,,,moerse lekka bike,,,eendag as ek groot is wil ek netso bike he
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 03:48:33 pm »
blazes,,,i rest my case?????

frans west,,,,,moerse lekka bike,,,eendag as ek groot is wil ek netso bike he
Ek ook ;D
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:26 pm »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:02:24 pm by SlŠinte Mhaith »