Wupperthal ride - 4x4's only!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

masehare

This was a humbling experience for me. The map said "high clearance 4x4 vehicles only", but naaaah, they mos know nothing....

The day (Sat, 08-March) started early. The weather prediction was 39C for Clanwilliam, so we wanted to try and finish the ride before it got too hot. Newguy (DR400Z) and Dirk (KLR) met us (Just4kix, Mammasehare and I) in Wellington and the route followed Bainskloof pass. We packed tents, etc and planned to camp at Clanwilliam dam.

First stop was Ceres to fill up and then on to Op-die-berg via Gydo pass for some breakfast. East thereafter and we soon hit dirt.

Start of the dirt after Op-die-berg.
31354666jo7.jpg

Smoke break. Newguy's DR400Z with a long range tank. Just4kix's 650.
61058858qs0.jpg

Then it was on to Matjiesrivier where the turn-off to Wupperthal is.

The road leading to Matjiesrivier.
56835246ao9.jpg

Warning sign...
11327477fi5.jpg

After this I didn't take many pics. The road turned from bad to worse and I struggled with a fat, loaded pig and my wife riding pillion. My lack of sand riding experience didn't help much either. We went down twice, once at a spot Rat warned about. Luckily my bike only suffered a broken pillion foot peg and we replaced it from Just4kix's 650 (Thanks!).

Success! Halfway!
31292719ue4.jpg

Dirk arriving halfway.
47696102hm9.jpg

Newguy arriving halfway.
42200411wg1.jpg

Thanks to Newguy who rode ahead and stopped to warn about upcoming bad spots - respect! The last few k's dropping steeply into Wupperthal was the worst. I won't recommend this part for a pillion.

Finally, Wupperthal.
58915044aw8.jpg

After Wupperthal it was Clanwilliam where we slept in the camping grounds next to the dam. It was quite a race to catch the booze shop and butchery open in time.

Englishman's grave on the way to Clanwilliam.
48163158qy2.jpg

Newguy showing us how to re-hydrate.
10hi0.jpg

The camping spot.
11ip0.jpg

Newguy's "room". His matress was the DR's sheep skin seat cover.
12ip4.jpg

Picture says it all.
13ic4.jpg

Dirk's quaters.
14pz5.jpg

Thanks to everybody who made this an enjoyable ride. The other guys said they'll post more pics and stories.

Christo