Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 vs 2014 GS LC  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Noneking

2013 vs 2014 GS LC
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
Having done 15000km on my K1600GTL in just over a year, I've been getting that familiar itch to trade it in on something else.......

Being a bit of a BMW fanboy, I've been looking mostly at the 1200GS.

What are your views on a second hand, low km (2000km) 2013 model vs. buying new 2014 model? I've been reading a little, and it seems that there have been a few reliability issues with the 2013 models. Is this accurate?
I have a HP2 for offroad riding, the GS will be for long distance touring with pillion and some easy offroad...
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Dwerg

Re: 2013 vs 2014 GS LC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »
Jy gaan die battleship mis! Kom kuier een laaste keer met hom by my voor jy trade sodat ek hom vir 'n spin kan vat  >:D
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:54 pm »
Having done 15000km on my K1600GTL in just over a year, I've been getting that familiar itch to trade it in on something else.......

What are your views on a second hand, low km (2000km) 2013 model vs. buying new 2014 model? I've been reading a little, and it seems that there have been a few reliability issues with the 2013 models. Is this accurate?
I have a HP2 for offroad riding, the GS will be for long distance touring with pillion and some easy offroad...

Well to start with the 2013 had a headshake issue and it was rectified by fitting a steering damper on the 2014 models. Some have had engine failure due to timing chain problems, others (even 2014) have had gearbox failures where a nut came loose and the whole gearbox broke and locked the rear wheel. Others have done 20000km without a problem. If you want to take the change then do it. The only advice I would like to give you if it has to be a GSLC is to buy at least a 2014 model so that you benefit from the upgrades, have longer warranty as well as roadside assistance as it is more possible to need it on the LC than on any other Beemer. You actually got a very nice Beemer that 1600.....you might kick your ass oneday for letting her go....

Online TheBear

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »

Is the price difference big enough to make it a choice?  A brand new full spec LC is R184k.  The low km 2013 model won't be much cheaper, depending on its extras.  It cannot have both fancy headlight and speed cruise, for instance.  So, in my mind the price difference won't be much bigger than R15k or so.  Now, if you don't have the R15k, it is a huge amount.

There is lots of talk going about headshake, cam chain failures, gearbox failures on the 2013 which has been resolved on the 2014.  I am not sure whether this is factual, both whether the problems were as widespread as social media make it, or if it existed, it was as well solved on the later model as social media suggest.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline Noneking

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:48:45 pm »
Price difference R24K and a couple of extras
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Jay

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Overlanding the World
    • Overland Spirit
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »
Well to start with the 2013 had a head shake issue and it was rectified by fitting a steering damper on the 2014 models. Some have had engine failure due to timing chain problems, others (even 2014) have had gearbox failures where a nut came loose and the whole gearbox broke and locked the rear wheel. Others have done 20000km without a problem. If you want to take the change then do it. The only advice I would like to give you if it has to be a GSLC is to buy at least a 2014 model so that you benefit from the upgrades, have longer warranty as well as roadside assistance as it is more possible to need it on the LC than on any other Beemer. You actually got a very nice Beemer that 1600.....you might kick your ass one day for letting her go....

So TVB I take it you have sold that LC that gave you all that trouble then ja!!
I have only one thing to say.... ALL BULLSHIT!!
If you read anything it is based on opinion and written by some dude that has a hard on for a Transalp...  if you only go by articles and criticism, I am now the one to inform you that you will never own a bike as you WILL find negative things about ALL bikes!!  For goodness sake just get the bike you want and like the most and ride the fucking thing!!!

Oh and by the way I tested the new LC - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=149931.0
'14 BMW GS1200R Adventure LC
'06 BMW GS1200R (Munich Germany)
'82 Honda CB 750 Custom
Those who do not ride in the rain... do not ride!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
Well to start with the 2013 had a head shake issue and it was rectified by fitting a steering damper on the 2014 models. Some have had engine failure due to timing chain problems, others (even 2014) have had gearbox failures where a nut came loose and the whole gearbox broke and locked the rear wheel. Others have done 20000km without a problem. If you want to take the change then do it. The only advice I would like to give you if it has to be a GSLC is to buy at least a 2014 model so that you benefit from the upgrades, have longer warranty as well as roadside assistance as it is more possible to need it on the LC than on any other Beemer. You actually got a very nice Beemer that 1600.....you might kick your ass one day for letting her go....

If you read anything it is based on opinion and written by some dude that has a hard on for a Transalp...  if you only go by articles and criticism, I am now the one to inform you that you will never own a bike as you WILL find negative things about ALL bikes!!  For goodness sake just get the bike you want and like the most and ride the fucking thing!!!

Oh and by the way I tested the new LC - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=149931.0

Jay I think its time for some bigger dry panties. Your test means zilts for me because you have been wacked by the badge. Once you feel better go read my post and advice once again and then just maybe you will spot the positive tone!  ;). (Ps, pm me for tips on nappy rash)

Offline Jay

• Overlanding the World
    • Overland Spirit
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »
(Ps, pm me for tips on nappy rash)

Take it you well informed with rash... as with bikes!

No seriously I am not singling you out  :bueller: just having some fun and talking in general about forming an opinion on the negative, it is just wrong. I think if you like to bike and you like the way it rides then get one. Don't get lost in the grey matter that might or might not affect you.

Come on I had a Buell XB1200X for goodness sake... I was ripped to shreds about the bike but I loved it!
'14 BMW GS1200R Adventure LC
'06 BMW GS1200R (Munich Germany)
'82 Honda CB 750 Custom
Those who do not ride in the rain... do not ride!

Offline Beeshaas

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:41:08 pm »
What a privilege to be a part of such a peaceful community.. Ek verkoop sommar my LC en koop vir my 'n skaakstel!
Put the fun between your legs

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »

Fokkit het jy op jou kop geval sonder 'n Leatt brace?

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:58 pm »
:
(Ps, pm me for tips on nappy rash)

Take it you well informed with rash... as with bikes!

No seriously I am not singling you out  :bueller: just having some fun and talking in general about forming an opinion on the negative, it is just wrong. I think if you like to bike and you like the way it rides then get one. Don't get lost in the grey matter that might or might not affect you.

Come on I had a Buell XB1200X for goodness sake... I was ripped to shreds about the bike but I loved it!

Yes so I am 'Maam' as I quite often treat patients with let's say common problems.
.....and not just a 'self qualified tester to ride test reviews like every second chap just like piles hanging from a couple of asses around here.

Back to the bike - go and read my first post again and you should probably feel like the ass. Will you still defend the LC if we meet by 'accident'? Do you think the manufacturer you defending feel anything for you? Or are they interested in your money???

Maybe you'll see me one day on a beemer to once they sorted their shit and you will recognise me....I'll be the one that will greet fellow bikers and stop to help like I always do....since my days back in the 80's. I have never changed being a 'biker'

Have a great weekend.  :thumleft:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »

Al is ek 'n BMW supporter vir jare lank is daar geen manier wat ek 'n 2ehandse 2013 1200GS LC sal koop nie.

Maar net my opinie as iemand wat so af en toe feite lees en dan besluite maak sonder emosie.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:01:47 pm by Garfield »

Online TheBear

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:19 am »

That is a reasonable difference.  Difficult choice.  Here is what I do.  I tap the alleged problem, i.e. "R1200GS gearbox problems" into Google and check what I find.  There seem to be surprising little on most of the issues often described here.  Of course, this does not mean they do not exist.  Only that, perhaps it is not as widespread as the perception is on WD's.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline Noneking

2013 vs 2014 GS LC
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »

Vanoggend GS en GSA gaan toetsry. Moes maar noodgedwonge my naam op die waglys plaas vir die vetseun...

Een ding is verseker, ek gaan daai gladde 6 cylinder baie mis......

Die demo GS het 290km opgehad toe ek vanoggend begin ry het. Paar issues wat ek opgetel het:

- Info knoppie wat mens deur die menus vat het vasgehak en kon nie meer gebruik word nie.
- Die gleoilamp op voorlig was reeds dood.
- my linker haak van boot het baie kontak gemaak met centrestand, veral deur skerp draaie waar ek my gewig op die fiets moes verplaas. Ek het dit glad nie op die GSA gevoel nie weens die posisie op fiets wat verskil.
- Die "beweging" van die ou lendelam skermpie was vir my 'n groot irritasie. Aansienlik beter gewees op die groot GSA skerm??
- Die flikkerlig knoppie bly 'n irritasie en ek sukkel (soos op my GTL) om die flikker te aktiveer sonder om draaiwiel te versteur.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:45:38 pm by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Inverted

• Bike: Honda XR500
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »

That is a reasonable difference.  Difficult choice.  Here is what I do.  I tap the alleged problem, i.e. "R1200GS gearbox problems" into Google and check what I find.  There seem to be surprising little on most of the issues often described here.  Of course, this does not mean they do not exist.  Only that, perhaps it is not as widespread as the perception is on WD's.

I agree with you.  I struggle to find all these problems that is experienced. Seldom are factual statements made when it comes to reliability issues.  Always "some" this and "some" that bla ..bla .. bla.....

Offline Noneking

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 05:02:11 pm »
Collected my GSA from Zambezi Auto this weekend. Fantastic service from them!!!

Odo now on 400km and very happy so far!

HP2 not to happy about this ......

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »
Happy miles for you and that beast.

400km?  Where is that first picture taken?
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Noneking

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:53 pm »
Longtom Pass, on my way home from PTA to Nelspruit
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline BLK

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:09 pm »
All I know is I went to Dullstroom for breakfast with the BM guys this morning and then onto Eastern TVL.A lot of the guys had the new LC and they all seemed very happy.Those bikes are great cruisers.I was battling along on my f800 with Knobbie tyres and all.(Haven't ridden tar in years.)

Great day anyway.

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »
Longtom Pass, on my way home from PTA to Nelspruit

Nice ride after delivery.  :thumleft:
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...