Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wiehann went down ...  (Read 3333 times)

Offline ktmmer

Re: Wiehann went down ...
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
sterkte

Offline slashback

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 04:19:32 pm »
Strength to you and your family Colyn!!
I hope everyone comes out of this OK...
Get well soon Wiehann!
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog
will give you a look that says, ‚??My God, you're right!
I never would've thought of that!‚?Ě

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:35 pm »
Hope your son is ok with you posting those pics, Peaches threatened to moer me with her good arm if I posted any of her in ICU, I took no pictures of her at the crash site, but a lot of the scene once she was on her way to hospital.
Good to hear he is going to be ok.
It is vitally important that he start with physio as soon as humanly possible, and stick with it until his arm is ok, his youth is also on his side, he will heal quickly.

For a few moments at the scene I just stared at him and watched the 911 team work on him. Trying to think of a reason NOT to take the shots. Then my instincts took over and I started shooting ... same way I do on the bike ... freehand out of my fist with no looking through the viewfinder. All I thought was if this is the last I see of him I want to have the choice to see it. When I took the shots in ER the nurses all gave me the "evil" eye but I paid them no due. In the ICU the sister frowned too. I want him to see this ... tell him about the emotions at play at the time and smile at his shame ;)

Difference between your Peaches and my Wiehann ... she is you chick and must be obeyed ;) ... he is my son and must listen :)

I am all over him on the physio and he has been told to do the exercises every hour on his own. I was surprised to hear that he went for a short walk this morning. He also has the added motivation that he can only get out of hospital once he is properly mobile.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 04:23:39 pm »
Eish! He's one lucky fella!

All the best Wiehann! Take it easy and heal well.  :thumright:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 04:24:57 pm »
Wow, get well soon

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 04:32:48 pm »
Hope your son is ok with you posting those pics, Peaches threatened to moer me with her good arm if I posted any of her in ICU, I took no pictures of her at the crash site, but a lot of the scene once she was on her way to hospital.
Good to hear he is going to be ok.
It is vitally important that he start with physio as soon as humanly possible, and stick with it until his arm is ok, his youth is also on his side, he will heal quickly.

For a few moments at the scene I just stared at him and watched the 911 team work on him. Trying to think of a reason NOT to take the shots. Then my instincts took over and I started shooting ... same way I do on the bike ... freehand out of my fist with no looking through the viewfinder. All I thought was if this is the last I see of him I want to have the choice to see it. When I took the shots in ER the nurses all gave me the "evil" eye but I paid them no due. In the ICU the sister frowned too. I want him to see this ... tell him about the emotions at play at the time and smile at his shame ;)

Difference between your Peaches and my Wiehann ... she is you chick and must be obeyed ;) ... he is my son and must listen :)

I am all over him on the physio and he has been told to do the exercises every hour on his own. I was surprised to hear that he went for a short walk this morning. He also has the added motivation that he can only get out of hospital once he is properly mobile.

So say some..... ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 05:13:59 pm »
Strength with the physio-road ahead.   ...The worst is behind you, Wiehann. And you're blessed with having a caring Dad like Colyn.
It now just a matter of what you'll take from this for the future.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Race Dog
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »
UPDATE:

My wife just came back from visiting him. She loaded him into a wheelchair and took him outside for a while then she washed his hair and the fisio gave the arm a long and good massage.

She says he is in good spirit now.

Thanks for the support.

PS ... The boy can be glad his mother is well qualified nurse ;)
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 05:24:27 pm »
Shoo, I read the Topbike article too, was good to see the 2 of you enjoying that so much.

Hope you all heal well and fast - glad that things are looking up!   These things all contribute in shaping us as we go through life.  Let him read the book "Wild at Heart" whilst his handbrake is up.

Sterkte
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 05:26:20 pm »
Jammer om te hoor, ek hoop hy raak gou beter.
Lourens de Lange

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »
I will keep him in my prayers. Hang in all.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline 1X

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • XR 650R
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 05:35:55 pm »
Sterkte Colyn en familie!!
THE LIVER IS EVIL AND MUST BE PUNISHED!!!!

"Nou ja, ek beskou vegetariers as plantmoordenaars. Erger as vleiseters, want hulle pik op die mees weerlose wesens, wat nie eens kan skree of weghol nie."prof. Erik Holm, bekende entomoloog

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »
Hi Colyn,
Sorry to hear about your son!!! I know the feeling having had to watch my Daughter undergo 15 ops and very nearly loose her leg when she had her bike accident so really glad for you that all is turning out okay!
One of the things that helped her and something I swear by now that I have started studying herbs is if you can get your hands on it a Comfrey plant or 2 - pretty plant in the garden - you can usually find it at most nuseries. If not let me know I can courier you up a plant or two. - Take note of the warning off the website http://www.miraclecomfrey.net/comfrey.html re the correct Comfrey to use.
I have found a commercial comfrey rub at our local chemist - again let me know and will be happy to send some if you can't find it.
A few leaves in hot (not boiling water) and let him drink the "tea" not a pleasent taste but worth it in the long run, your wife will know how to make a poultice from the fresh leaves to put on the wounds until he can soak in a bath.

Sharron

Some infor off the net:
Comfrey has been used since the sixteenth century in the external treatment of broken bones.  It therefore got the name ‚??knit-bone‚?Ě.   Allantoin, the active ingredient, with exceptional healing properties, is absorbed  fast and deep into the skin.   This is the reason why it could assist with the healing of bones and why even external application can bring relief and assist with the healing of internal ailments, such as ruptures, muscle injuries, bruises and the inflammation of arthritic joints, etc.  Being a proliferant, the healing process is speeded up because of rapid growth of new cells. Ironically, Alllantoin is now  being synthesized in the modern pharmaceutical industry.

Medicinal value

Comfrey has a wide range of medicinal benefits, both internal and external. Its actions are anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anodyne (lessens pain), astringent (shrinks soft tissue and contracts blood vessels, thus checking  blood flow), demulcent (softens), expectorant, expels  mucous, emollient (softens), haemostatic (stops bleeding), proliferant (stimulates cell growth), refrigerant (cooling effect), mild sedative and vulnerary (healing).
Nutritional information

Comfrey‚??s high nutrient content makes it an excellent tonic.  Comfrey contains 18 amino acids!  It is rich in protein, vitamin C, A and B12.  (There are only two plants containing vit. B12 in the whole plant kingdom.  One is Lucerne (Alfalfa) and the other is Comfrey!)

Comfrey also contains the other B-complex vitamins.

Comfrey is also rich in fibre and minerals, such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron.  Other minerals that are present are magnesium, sulphur, copper, zinc, selenium and germanium.
A different site:
  Comfrey, the miracle herb.

Looking at the multitude of uses of the Comfrey plant, one realizes that this is indeed an extraordinary plant, a real miracle herb!

History of the Plant:

Comfrey has been used since the sixteenth century in the external treatment of broken bones.  It therefore got the name ‚??knit-bone‚?Ě.   Allantoin, the active ingredient, with exceptional healing properties, is absorbed  fast and deep into the skin.   This is the reason why it can assist with the healing of bones and why even external application can bring relief and assist with the healing of internal ailments, such as ruptures, muscle injuries, bruises and the inflammation of arthritic joints, etc.  Being a proliferant, the healing process is sped up because of rapid growth of new cells. Ironically, Allantoin is now  being synthesized in the modern pharmaceutical industry.

Medicinal value  

Comfrey has a wide range of medicinal benefits, both internal and external. Its actions are anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anodyne (lessens pain), astringent (shrinks soft tissue and contracts blood vessels, thus checking  blood flow), demulcent (softens), expectorant (expels mucous), emollient (softens), haemostatic (stops bleeding), proliferant (stimulates cell growth), refrigerant (cooling effect), mild sedative and vulnerary (healing).

The dried leaves can be used for almost any internal ailment.  It is especially good for any lung ailments and is also a good expectorant.  It also is used for almost all the problems in the digestive tract, even stomach ulcers!  How many herbs can be used for both constipation and diarrhoea?!  Comfrey acts as a natural laxative and the mucilage, a gum-based substance relieves diarrhoea.  Mucilage also helps with the digestion of food, which is of great benefit to people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. All kinds of ulcers benefit from Comfrey‚??s exceptional healing powers. Comfrey is very beneficial to diabetics.  Mucilage delays the emptying of the stomach and reduces after-meal peaks of glucose and insulin.  It also helps to remove cholesterol, and the high nutrient content makes one feel a whole lot better.  

Natural antitoxin and parasite treatment
Mozambicans use Comfrey tea in the treatment of malaria, as many of them have no access to medical facilities.  In South Africa there is a documented case of a poisonous spider bite (Black Widow), where Comfrey worked as an antitoxin in three days' time.  Living on a farm, I have dealt with tick fever quite a few times and therefore know the symptoms.  My 15-year-old dog showed all the signs of tick fever. With the nearest vet an hour‚??s drive away, I started giving her strong Comfrey tea right away.  She showed improvement so soon, that I decided to proceed with the treatment and skip the vet, as long as her condition kept on improving.  After two days I couldn‚??t believe the improvement and by the third day she had recovered almost completely.  On the fourth day she was a perfectly healthy dog without any medication or expensive veterinary bills!  

Food supplement

Comfrey‚??s high nutrient content makes it an excellent tonic.  Comfrey contains 18 amino acids!  It is rich in protein, vitamin C, A and B12.  (There are only two plants containing vit. B12 in the whole plant kingdom.  One is Lucerne (Alfalfa) and the other is Comfrey!)

Comfrey also contains the other B-complex vitamins.

Comfrey is rich in mucilaginous fibre and minerals, such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron.  Other minerals that are present are magnesium, sulphur, copper, zinc, selenium and germanium.

Indeed a miracle herb!
If one takes note of all the above-mentioned information, one comes to the conclusion that this plant is indeed a God given miracle herb!

Warning

Very few people know that there are four kinds of Comfrey and that two of them contain toxic alkaloids.  Russian Comfrey (s. uplandicum) contains high levels of toxic alkaloids that can cause liver damage.  Excessive intake has led to deaths in Canada, which caused the tea to be banned there.  In South Africa, Symphytum Officinale (common Comfrey) is easily mistaken for prickly Comfrey (s. asperum).  Prickly Comfrey also contains toxic alkaloids, but not as much as Russian Comfrey.  Be very careful not to use Comfrey from your garden if you are not sure that it is Symphytum Officinale.  Only experts can distinguish between the different kinds because Prickly Comfrey and Common Comfrey looks almost the same.  Two different tests carried out abroad showed that dried Common Comfrey leaves do not contain toxic alkaloids.

Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »
Best of luck to your son!!
Agree with SGB on the book.
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »
Hey Colyn - sad to read this, but glad to hear Wiehan is on the mend

Wake up calls are sometimes necessary in ones life - although we battle to understand why.
As a student I rode an XJ900 and my boet an XJ750. We were wild, I would not say reckless, but there was a wild streak
Through no fault of his own he was killed in an accident on that bike and our lives were placed in turmoil

Just two years ago I had a major prang and pretty much got a lot of steel in my ankle.

So, heal well Wiehan - read this and be glad you are alive - your fault or NOT

Stength to you Colyn and family
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

JohnST

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 09:30:35 pm »
Glad things are going better Colyn, just keep the prayers going!!

Offline Tony

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • http://www.ndubazi.co.za
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 09:49:20 pm »
Very glad to hear things are moving towards the positive.   Sterkte daar.
Hot and sweaty - Nice if you with a Lady, Bad if you in the Jungle
Honda Africa Twin

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 06:44:59 am »
All the best wishes to Wiehann and your family.

The road to recovery may be long and bumpy but I am sure you all will get through it.

Pssst Colyn
Do not let the %^$%#^%& truck driver get away. The report he filed is clear proof that he wants to get nailed. So nail him.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Grondpad ô

• Race Dog
  • Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 07:45:36 am »
Get better Wiehann!!

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 07:50:12 am »
This is reality and I have a slight chill on my back,thanks for showing me and good luck on your recovery ;)
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam