Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wiehann went down ...  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
Re: Wiehann went down ...
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 08:01:01 am »
UPDATE:

The day is starting on a bad note ... the boy is vehemently against any form of medication basically all his life and that has led to him be very sensitive to medication ... one Panado is enough for a severe headache. Now things are not good for him ... they are medicating him with heavy artillery and it is disturbing his stomach in a big way. He is puking his lungs out and is feeling really horrible.

I am torn between the issues ... on the one hand he needs some medication but on the other hand this is like poison to him.

I just wish nursing staff and doctors want to take the time and just LISTEN when a patient wants to tell them how he feels.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Highlander

• There can be only one !!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:10 am »
ai man, that is seriously kak

Good Luck, hang in there

Offline Jock

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 08:15:12 am »
Hi Colyn

Ai man, het gehoor wat gebeur het laas week en het met Andre gepraat om te hoor hoe dit gaan, en het vanoggend vir die erste keer kans gehad om op die website te kom en het so bly geraak toe ek die thread begin lees het en gesien het dit gaan beter met Wehan, en nou hierdie post van jou oor die medikasie!

Hoop regtig dinge werk uit vir Wiehan en ons sal vir hom bid, sterkte!

Offline Volla

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 08:28:58 am »
Good luck, it is really unfortunately that "stuff" like this happens. I wish people would think when they get behind the wheel of a vehicles and relies what huge irresponsibility it is.  All the best. We all will be praying for a speedy and full recovery. Blessings

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 08:43:38 am »
Really hope that he gets well soon and is fully healed
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline BoJangels

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Plettenberg Bay
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 09:23:57 am »
sorry to read about your son's accident, Colyn
hope he heals well and soon, best wishes to you and your family
It is never too late or too early to be whoever you want to be.

Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.

Offline Raggety

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Riding with the King
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 11:23:29 am »
Bid vir vinnige herstel , Wiehann.  Colyn, keep up the faith and  we trus that the mediciene thing will be sorted out.
Let us love people and use things, and not love things and use people.

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 12:10:54 pm »
Sherbet Colyn - only saw this now.  I hope he gets better soon and that all will be well.

Love and Strength to all of you - it's so frightening when it happens to a loved one !

Offline husky

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 01:28:42 pm »
My thoughts are with you and your family.  Serious injury to a child is one of the more frightening things to deal with and Colyn, you're doing it well.  Every day gets a bit easier, take it hour by hour.

Some years ago I had a head on with a U turner on my old Honda 250, luckily lifted my legs and flew over everything and was right outside a hospital, straight onto a wheelchair and in.  No serious injuries. I will not commute by bike. I'm reluctant to even ride a bicycle with the traffic.  Know too many people who've been hammered by cars, taxi's, trucks etc.

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »
Colyn, just saw the thread, first thought it's about Eisbein then saw it's your son you wrote about in the mag.  What a bummer, can just try to imagine the anguish after that call.  Thank God the oke is relatively okay and alive.  Best friend of mine in Windhoek lost his son in bike accident, he tried to explain the sadness, the man took a serious knock.  Maybe I should thank my ex for her absolute NO to a bike for my son, one less worry for me and I don't get the blame of withholding the pleasure of biking from him  >:D
Keep well and tell Wiehann to hang in there and get better asap.
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »
Colyn, Don't let the nursing staff bully you/him! There are alternatives you just need to find them. Hope he is feeling lots better!
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 07:24:55 pm »
EINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad hes OK

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

David van Breda

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 10:12:17 pm »
Sterkte Colyn! ;)

I have a son.  All of 6yrs old . . .

There is something between a father and a son.  I have no words.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:23:21 am by Davy »

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Race Dog
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 10:17:01 pm »
RANT:

Last week this time we were in knots waiting to see him come out of the theater. Up to this point everybody involved ... ER9111 Emergency crew, ER Staff and the two surgeons did what seemed impossible and we thank them for their commitment and professionalism.

The two days in ICU he was cared for well by highly trained staff but then things started slipping ... from the moment he was transferred to the ward things progressively went South. The boy's resilience and fighting spirit kept on surprising us and everyday their was progress. However ... his medical care by the nursing staff was nothing to be excited with. Fortunately my wife is extremely highly qualified and has a shoulder full of tags to proof it. She stepped in and started doing basic nursing care like getting his bowels to go, washing his hair, brushing his teeth ... cleaning his ears and nose and massaging his back and buttocks. All things that should be standard and basic nursing functions ... all aimed at keeping a patient comfortable.

Well yesterday morning she was called to Wiehann's doctor's rooms and got a scolding for interfering with the staff functions. Needless to say that by the grace of God I was not with her or that man would have been eating his own marrow. She was very upset when she git to Wiehann's room and he could see it. She told him what happened and he said ...

"Mom ... how do I get out of this place ?"

"Well ... they will only let you go if you are mobile." was all she could say.

Now this should make some goosebumps jump up in some that reads this ... it did for me when I saw it happen. By 14h00 the last blood transfusion lines were removed and all pipes and drains were already out. He gritted his teeth and got up onto the side of the bed. Took a crutch ... grunted and stood up and started walking out of the room ... down the passage to the nursing station ... gave them a wink and hobbled back to his room.

"Is that mobile enough ?"

Well the physio could not believe it and then last night around midnight he walked out of the hospital to the front parking area and when the security asked where he was going ... he said ... "I need some fresh air."

Well this morning the physio and occupational therapist did their sessions and reported to his doctor who then said he can go home. That was 11h00 ... my wife waited there till 18h45 for the doctor to come sign him out and was then told he went home. The nurse on duty "forgot" to take the discharge forms to him to sign.

Well I had to talk long and hard to the boy to calm him down.

These private hospitals are no longer care institutions but business entities and with the dillapidation of State Health we are at the mercy of these sharks. Gone are the days when nursing was a labour of love ... what really piss me off is that I will not see any discounts for services NOT rendered.

So ... hopefully he will be discharged early tomorrow morning or I may be in jail by midday.

END OF RANT.

Thank you all for your support and prayers.

PS ... It was a great moment when I sat in the cafeteria garden at exactly 12h30 and looked up and saw him hobbling through the door ... one week to the minute since he was pushed of to the theater. :)

Praise God ... he was good to us.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 07:23:21 am »
Fantastic  :)
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 07:34:17 am »
hehehehehe, Colyn, having had minor surgery myself recently (still walking around with 4 stitches in my back), let me prepare you for another "surprise" down the line.

By the time I got back home from surgery, the clinic had already submitted their claim to my medical aid :o Pre-approved an all & all - Surprise, small print somewhere - for your own account = $$$$ ;D

Great that Wiehann's going home today!!!!
"always try to improve the nut between the handlebar and seat."

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:01 am »
Glad to hear he is "mobile" and determined to stay so... that is 90% of the fight won already.
It does seem these place want to stretch your stay as well... I had a moer of a fight to get home as well... "Your drainage must be clear for 24 hours" but they forgot to check it and wanted me to stay another day... "I said how do you take this thing out? because I am going to do so myself if you do not! My drain has been clear for two days moron!"
Lets just say no nurses got any tips... :-)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:03 am »
all the best, hope he recovers well

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Race Dog
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:24 pm »
UPDATE:

Wiehann is now home and I will show some shots later ... Nelspruit CBD is without power for some reason that is not clear to us :( so my image server is currently down.

He is now walking without the crutch and he can close his his hand completely.

Thank you all for the support and prayers.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2008, 12:09:37 pm »
That is really great news Colyn!!!!!!!
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?