Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Karelskraal Pass, Northern Cape  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Trygve Roberts

Karelskraal Pass, Northern Cape
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:29 am »
We filmed this beautiful gravel pass two weeks ago and just released the video today. It's a must do! We've also done a first ever - inserted a poem into a pass video. We think it worked out nicely.

http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/western-cape/item/251-karelskraal-pass.html

You can also see this weeks recommended passes here:

http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/news/item/617-latest-news-21st-august,-2014.html

Offline Sailorman

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: Karelskraal Pass, Northern Cape
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
Looks like a "Must do" pass
Sent you a PM
If I can't ride, I sail

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »
Dammit, almost thought its near to me and there is some nice pass I dont know of to do...

Northern cape is to big :(
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:40 am »
If it is the one between Merweville and Sutherland, we have done it beginning of this year. Badseed , me and three other riders.

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
If it is the one between Merweville and Sutherland, we have done it beginning of this year. Badseed , me and three other riders.
Ek weet van Rammelkop pas tussen Merweville en Sutherland maar daar is mos maar baie paadjies.. lig my bietjie in??
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »
Ek weet van Rammelkop pas tussen Merweville en Sutherland maar daar is mos maar baie paadjies.. lig my bietjie in??

Ek dink dit was Rammelkop, sal met John[Badseed] gesels om te hoor.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »
Dis die Banksgate pad en draai uit vanaf die Rantepad wat tussen Sutherland en Frazerburg loop.
Hy kom uit oos van Merweville tussen Merweville en die Leeu-Gamka - Frazerburgteerpad.
Dit is nie Rammelkoppas.
Het hom lank terug gedoen met my Dakar. Nogal steil afdraend die eerste entjie in.

Assebleif boys as julle hom gaan ry ry asb rustig deur daai wildkamp, die eienaar probeer hard baie hard om die pad toe
te maak en ek wil hom nog n slag of wat gaan ry. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
Ja, Chris, ek was seker die pas se naam was Karel-something.

Offline Trygve Roberts

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 03:56:39 pm »
Guys - Let me clarify these roads for you.

Between Merweville and Sutherland there are two gravel roads that run on the east/west axis. The one to the south includes the Rammelkop Pass (I recommend reading this up on the website here: http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/western-cape/item/258-rammelkop-allemans-pass.html)

There is another smaller pass that forms a back to back with the Rammelkop Pass called the Allemanshoek Pass. You can read up on that one here: http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/western-cape/item/606-allemanshoek-pass.html

Many people get these two passes confused (and it's easy to see why), but the website explains this adequately.

Then about 20 km further north (also on the east/west axis) is another gravel road. This one has the Banksgate farm and Karelskraal Pass on it. Banksgate also has a minor pass on the property, but it's not an official pass. We drove it recently and decided not to film it as it really was much ado about nothing. However the Karelskraal Pass was a beauty.

Here is the link for Karelskraal: http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/find-a-pass/northern-cape/item/251-karelskraal-pass.html

The northern route (Karelskraal/Banksgate) has another two very small "passes" to the west of Karelskraal. These are "Die Poort se nek" or simply "Die Poortjie" and "Bloupoort Pass". Both of these are very minor and unless you have them marked on your GPS, you will not even realise you have riden an official pass.

The Northern Cape officials were fastidious about naming their passes and poorts, to the point of being almost silly. In our extreme stats pages, you will see that this province dominates all the smallest listings in terms of altitude gained and distances. At the opposite end of the scale is KZN with stacks of lovely passes without any official recognition. Our dilemma is how to deal with this oddity?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:44:35 am by Trygve Roberts »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:08:18 am »
Thank you Trygve Roberts, if it were'nt for you clarifying things, I would still be dwaaling around the area. :thumleft: