brand bashing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Not trying to judge, I would just like to know what is it with brand bashing? I think if you are mal about a brand, and you proclaim that it's the best there is, nothing else compares..yada yada, then you set yourself up for disappointment. In my view, different brands have pros and cons when compared to each other, almost never will you be able to say this bike brand..this one beats all other bikes in the segment in all respects, hands down. I've had suzuki, honda, chinese special, BMW (current bike). Yes, I love my bonie, and it's reliable (so far), although there's been some issues that I've had to resort, even some design flaws. The other day I had to trim a sheat around the clutch fluid hose connected to the slave cylinder, because rust would accumulate there. I was in no way prepared to see the amount of rusty water that came out there after I did it... there are other design flaws as well. Did they resolve all of it with the R1200GS? I doubt it very much. And the new LC, even more. The thing is the engineers are not the only ones involved in designing a bike... it's not as many of us perceive, that version 2.0 would be better than version 1.9..that all the flaws were identified with previous bike, and solved with new. There is also thoughts about how expensive it is the build a bike, how long it takes to assemble, etc. Going off on a tangent here, to get back - why should I limit myself and be 'committed' to a certain brand bike? I have to swore allegiance to a brand? Sorry 2SD, I know you will be referred to in this thread - I did not try and target you at all. It's a thought I've had for quite a while. While I love my bike, I will admit that it's not perfect. One thing, of a few, was performance. I tried to get more out of her, and made some slight modifications, but...as we, or some of us know, it's never enough. So, If money was no issue, I'd look at KTM 1190, or the anticipated 1290... Or..Honda crossover, OR Triumph Explorer 1200, OR Yamaha super tenere, even the kawasaki versys 1000. There's no way I'm limiting myself to BMW, because all BMW bikes are most reliable, or the most rugged or whatever.  Tongue-in-cheek jest about 'my bike is better than yours', is not really what I'm referring to. It's more then die hard attitude, that will even make you ignore issues of a specific bike because of your allegiance, ignoring the fact that other brands have bikes that might not have that issue. That being said; let's not make this a serious topic, that was not the intention. We all share a common love for bikes and biking. That's common ground that we should remind ourselves of,  :ricky: