2011 KLR 650 vs 2006 BMW 650 Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omninorm

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
Hi all,

A mate of mine wants to upgrade. he currently owns a 125 DT that he rides now and then to the shop and back etc.

He now wants to buy a bigger bike that he can ride more often and more places including some commuting here and there but mostly off peak hours.
The catch is that he needs it to be able to be used for some offroad work, 1 spoor and so on, farm roads etc.
Budget of +- R50-R55K

Between him and I we kinda narrowed it down to these.

More or less a 2011-2012 KLR 650's and there are one or two 2005-2006 650GS Dakar's available.  KM
's on the KLR's obviously less at around 10 000km -20 000km's with the Dakars at around 25 000 - 50 000km's
I obviously also added the option of  a Vstrom as well as the Transalp but cautioned that the offroad ability may not be what he is after but imho those offer arguably more bike for the money everywhere else.
The DR was my choice but small fuel tank and uncomfortable comparatively so not ideal for his usage.

I have riden  650gs' as well as 800gs' and 1200gs'  and I've riden a KLR 650 once so not too much info other than check the doohickey on the KLR and check for fork fatigue / cracks on the GS650. otherwise I suppose general rust checking etc.

The KLR is probably cheaper to maintain?
The Dakar has ABS which will be a plus for the commuting.

Reliability on these two?
Cost of repairs?

Obviously after riding them you will see what you like but what do you guys think of the choices so far?
What are we missing?