Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DS Magazine  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
DS Magazine
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:53:12 pm »
I was thinking that with the number of DS enthusiasts out there, that it is bloody sad that one of the magazine publishers have not thought to bring out a DS Rider specific magazine which could feature bike tests and shootouts, accesories, routes, destinations etc. Sure we do not have the same numbers as those damn kwats but if you look at the innitial cost to get your self rigged out with bike , kit luggage systems etc we make up a market with relatively big spending power with huge enthusiasm.

Are any of you aware of any international magazines focusing specifically on DS riding?
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Grootseun

DS Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:56:18 pm »
Thought of the exact same thing last night while standing in the que at the shops last night...although.. one has to do the math...printing/publishing costs as well as distrubution... and you have to employ peple to do the work.. and the riding...it's basically the same as the forum... IMO

Offline Rooibaard

DS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:02:31 pm »
The closest magazine locally I can think of is enduroworld.
Maybe we can persuade them to include at least a DS section?
-
This is not a signature

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
DS Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:04:51 pm »
i would imagine that would be the only way to go....
to include a DS section in an already existing mag.

i still believe that the majority of DS bikes sold, are only being used as commuters/tourers, and not for what the bike is capable of, or designed to do. so maybe there arent really all that many DS fans out there

shark_za

DS Magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:06:12 pm »
They do cover DS things, this month is going to be a big DS one I guess, the super enduro and the GS1200Adv. Calling the 950Se a DS is a bit much though.

They do DS runs to Lesotho , E-TVL etc.
Vince did you ever register and log on here?

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
DS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:08:47 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
i would imagine that would be the only way to go....
to include a DS section in an already existing mag.

i still believe that the majority of DS bikes sold, are only being used as commuters/tourers, and not for what the bike is capable of, or designed to do. so maybe there arent really all that many DS fans out there

I think alot of them will buy it because of the whole "lifestyle" thing. A bit like Getaway magazine or Teazers, look at places you want to go to but never do. :D There is a bit of "dream" factor in there.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

shark_za

DS Magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:13:39 pm »
Enduroworld at the 1200 launch

Offline Rooibaard

DS Magazine
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:15:28 pm »
I think the same goes for the majority of 4x4s out there, most people never use them for their intended use.
But then again as of late, that "use" is becoming more and more onroad.

I think people will still buy a magazine with DS content even if they bought they bike as a wishful thinking "lifestyle" thing.
see how they can pimp their bikes with all the accessories out there.

Another thing that is in a seriously sorry state in this country is aftermarket accessories for bikes.
-
This is not a signature

Anonymous

DS Magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 01:19:55 pm »
I agree with Blouvark, Regardless of how many people that own DS bikes actually use them for what they are designed to do, in most cases there is still that "dream" as Blou mentioned, to get out there and ride it like it should be ridden. a mag like this will further fuel that dream and I recon that it will encourage more of these riders to get stuck in.

The other argument is that there are always going to be those folk that buy a DS bike for the "image" (for lack of a better word). Like the guy that buys a top of the range 4 x 4, kits it out with all the bells and whistles and the biggest obstacle the van is exposed to is the sidewalk at Sandton City. These okes are going to probably buy all the gadjets and mods that you can get for these bikes which creates a bigger market out there which means that in time there will be more products available at better prices. (supply and demand).

Or maybe not!

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
DS Magazine
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 01:23:17 pm »
Sorry, that guest was me, I somehow got unloggedin
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline accton

• Pack Dog
DS Magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 02:44:21 pm »
Enduro world is currently riding the Trans Alp, dont know if it will be placed in the mag but lets see.

Sorry KTM, BMW & all the others Honda is the first one :D
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline X Banana Boy

DS Magazine
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 02:50:52 pm »
There is nothing in the States.  The advrider people also complain about no DS mag.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
DS Magazine
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 03:58:13 pm »
Quote from: "accton"
Enduro world is currently riding the Trans Alp, dont know if it will be placed in the mag but lets see.

Ja I saw him on the road, had a chat with him. I took Al out on a ride to Melkbos, and there at the Big Bay beach, he was standing there with his Missus. Told me he got it from Helderberg Honda

I said I knew you, what was he doing blah blah. And on God honest truth, he said: Ja, the Transalp is for old people............. :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So I said to him - I am going to let the whole world know that he said it, and he said: I will deny it! Of course he is going to, you cant say that! (its just too honest!)(even though I personally like the bike)

Anyhow, he then quickly backed that up by saying: throw a pipe on and its a different bike.

He knows where his next brootjie is coming from :wink:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

shark_za

DS Magazine
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 04:01:46 pm »
Quote from: "accton"

They will have a report on the 1200GS in this months mag.
The guys up in JHB are harassing Husqvarna to get a TE610 too.
Dont think Honda is the first. Sorry.

Offline Rebel

• Forum Vendor
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • http://www.countrytrax.co.za
DS Magazine
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 04:08:57 pm »
did some research on this as I was thinking about starting one.

problem is that mags are funded by ads.

now if you do a DS only mag, you cut out the roadies and the skwats,
who is the majority like it or not.

so...a guy advertsing helmets & jackets wants to sell not only
to DS users, so he says no thanks, and the mag is dead.

bummer.

but now the insert idea sound like a plan !

Off road motorcycle training academy, for all brands of dualsport and enduro bikes
http://www.countrytrax.co.za

Kev

DS Magazine
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
They do cover DS things, this month is going to be a big DS one I guess, the super enduro and the GS1200Adv. Calling the 950Se a DS is a bit much though.

When is "this months" Enduro World coming out?

Anyway, I would classify the 950 R as a dual sport. A rather dirt capable DS, but still a DS. It certainly is no track (mx) bike... its not a tourer... its not just a road bike. Bit of a silly bike really.

Where I think it will shine is the forest firebreak roads. My favourite riding terratory.

shark_za

DS Magazine
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 04:36:54 pm »
What a bike! Its got this sort of F-U attitude, I dont need to be a tourer or even practical, I'm the king of the hill.

They say its in major bike shops from Thursday, so tomorrow. I subscribed so will get it soon.
The article should be mean as it was the reason Gary Franks went to Ertzberg and entered the thursday race. He then used Riaan V Niekerks 250 to do the race with as the spot was open.
KTM sponsored jaunt on the beast. Should get a lot of pics of it in action.
Daryl wrote about it in last months edition as he did the promo vid in Lesotho but that will be nothing like this months report, I hope.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
DS Magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 04:51:10 pm »
Jaco Kirstein is the sub-editor of 'WEG' magazine, he rides an 1150GS Adv and puts an article or two in WEG everynow and then. He also wrote a story about his trip to Nam in the lates edition of 'DRIVE OUT', nice article and pics, but IMO he made the trip seem tougher than it was, or he is a bit softer than I thought. Worth the read though. But yes, it would be nice to have a mag or paret thereof dedicated to DS riding, it is a huge market.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
DS Magazine
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 05:12:01 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
Jaco Kirstein is the sub-editor of 'WEG' magazine, he rides an 1150GS Adv and puts an article or two in WEG everynow and then. He also wrote a story about his trip to Nam in the lates edition of 'DRIVE OUT', nice article and pics, but IMO he made the trip seem tougher than it was, or he is a bit softer than I thought. Worth the read though. But yes, it would be nice to have a mag or paret thereof dedicated to DS riding, it is a huge market.

Jaco is on the board, Jakes is his name

Cool dude, funny guy too

Constantly calling for a drink

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
DS Magazine
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 05:12:22 pm »
..and we "average" normal, day-to-day DS riders write some of the articles. No pressure to impress anybody. Experiences/articles from us noobs and experienced/professional DS riders.

This is what I miss in the bike mags. The experiences of the real biker population, from noobs to experienced riders. People riding their machines, day-to-day and sharing their knowledge and experiences. Not people that get paid to write a glossy report on any particular bike.  

Maybe I'm just spoiled about the reports, whether Ride Reports, impressions of bikes, technical discussion/information, tips, mods etc, etc, on this forum.

Think about it. A edited version of topics from this forum as part of a DS inset. It could be the "SA Adventure Rider Insert".  What I learned and still are learning on this forum, I can not and have not found in any other bike related mag.

Only drawback is the additional effort this would require from someone to run/co-ordinate etc.
He who angers you, controls you.