Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help choose a first bike please  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Tweeds

• Bike: Chang Jiang (all models)
Help choose a first bike please
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:48 am »
Hi, I am looking at getting my first road legal bike. Budget is about R40k. I trawled the classifieds on this forum as well as Olx etc and found a couple of options. As a newbie would be interested to hear from more experienced riders. My requirements are: short commutes (5-10km) and I would like to be able to go two-up for weekends away with gravel roads. I am 6'1" and 90kg.

Here we go:

2007 Yamaha XT660R 11k km R42k. http://m.olx.co.za/item/show/687126765 - there are a couple available in this price range.

From this forum:

2009 KLR650 32k km, R35k.

2002 F650GS ABS 42k km, R32k.

2006 F650GS 22k km, R39k.

2012 XR650L 9k km, R43k.

2003 XR650R 42k km, R39k.

Also, open to other suggestions.

Thank you

Offline Tweeds

Re: Help choose a first bike please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:23:37 pm »
Also on the list is a 2013 CRF250L with 500km on the clock for R36k.

Offline T Rex

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:02 pm »
A KLR is always an good bike to start with , in your budget.

Offline Tweeds

Re: Re: Re: Help choose a first bike please
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:48:02 pm »
A KLR is always an good bike to start with , in your budget.
Thanks, I read the thread 'read this before buying a KLR' and there seemed to be an inordinate amount if stuff that fails on them which is slightly worrying!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:02 pm »
Xt660R but the KLR is a great bike, I had 2 and never an issue. Remember they outsoled almost any other model except the GS in SA, so lots of old and abused bikes sold second hand and guys that moan but they are ver very reliable and would probably never let you down if you take care or her. Go and ask the same question on klr clan forum and all will tell you klr's are great value bikes. I will buy one again but the 660r is better though

Offline DCR

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:20:58 pm »
From your list I'd seriously consider the Yamaha. None of the bikes are ideal for long distance 2-up riding, but if you plan to stop more often and travel less in a day you'll be fine on the 650's.

Forget about the CRF. Although a very nice bike, it does not fit the use case you describe.

Offline Tweeds

Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:27:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Offline T Rex

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:57:40 pm »
Tweeds , the big thing is to stay within your budget and to buy something that will not cost you an arm and a leg to keep running.

If your budget was 80k , different story.... Then I would by a BM 650 twin or a 800. But with a 40k budget , unless you are Very Lucky , you wil not get  one with low kilo's .... And it will be old with wear and tear.

Offline Tweeds

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »
Tweeds , the big thing is to stay within your budget and to buy something that will not cost you an arm and a leg to keep running.

If your budget was 80k , different story.... Then I would by a BM 650 twin or a 800. But with a 40k budget , unless you are Very Lucky , you wil not get  one with low kilo's .... And it will be old with wear and tear.
Thanks for the advice. I have settled on a KLR courtesy of Nick. Can't wait to get riding!

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:52:40 pm »
XT660R or XR650L

I'm way to scared of a KLR leaving me next to the road, then again some people swear by them. Each to theire own. Just my opinion.

Have fun and enjoy every moment  :thumleft:
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline CKB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help choose a first bike please
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I have settled on a KLR courtesy of Nick. Can't wait to get riding!
Wick KLR did you get?
Pics?
Congratulations!

Offline Lem

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »
I'm really enjoying my current BMW F650GS Dakar, and I do regular two-up rides up to 500km in a day on it.

I find the Dakar very comfortable & easy to ride on gravel. It averages @ 23km/l as well, has 10 000km service intervals & it will save you money if you plan to commute.

I will also consider the Yamaha XT660R. Really cool bike, with the same levels of proven reliability than the little Beemer. Little less suited to two-up touring with that iron board seat, but go check it out and see if it will work  :thumleft:

On both these bikes, you'll get most of your money back as well, when you think of selling again.

You can't go wrong with either one of them
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline T Rex

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:21:00 pm »
I'm really enjoying my current BMW F650GS Dakar, and I do regular two-up rides up to 500km in a day on it.

I find the Dakar very comfortable & easy to ride on gravel. It averages @ 23km/l as well, has 10 000km service intervals & it will save you money if you plan to commute.

I will also consider the Yamaha XT660R. Really cool bike, with the same levels of proven reliability than the little Beemer. Little less suited to two-up touring with that iron board seat, but go check it out and see if it will work  :thumleft:

On both these bikes, you'll get most of your money back as well, when you think of selling again.

I had a Dakkie for 8 years .... Really enjoyed it. The only reason I bought a 1200 is that the Dakkie  too worked hard with two up  with luggage, and at speeds in excess of 120.

One up and if you are keeping to 120 ..... Perfect bike.

Offline T Rex

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »

Remember I am a BMW guy .... So the advice is ( hopefully) objective .... Enjoy the bike !! Work towards a 1200 GS ..... You will never look back.

Offline Lem

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:48:00 am »

I had a Dakkie for 8 years .... Really enjoyed it. The only reason I bought a 1200 is that the Dakkie  too worked hard with two up  with luggage, and at speeds in excess of 120.

One up and if you are keeping to 120 ..... Perfect bike.

Yep, the Dakkie will work hard on a long trip two-up, but not harder than anything else on the OP list.

But a 650 single is a good starter. The better two-up tourer will be a Transalp or a V-strom, even a KLE Versys if he does less gravel. And there...we've covered basically every brand  :thumleft:

Seems Tweeds settled for a KLR. Out of the box, it's ready to tour with...in a rustige fashion, which I like to do. Enjoy it & we look forwards to hearing about your travels, Tweeds  :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:56:45 am »

Remember I am a BMW guy .... So the advice is ( hopefully) objective .... Enjoy the bike !! Work towards a 1200 GS ..... You will never look back.

Your only reason to work towards a 1200, any make, will be if you stop riding adventurously and stick to highways, with pillion and gadgets gazillion.
If this is your thing fine, but carefully consider how excess weight and tyre sizes can limit your travels.
If you also consider that it is actually illegal to exceed 120 anywhere in the republic, the biggies become even more superfluous.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 08:01:55 am »
 :imaposer: funny thread this; 'too scared a klr will let you down, lol.... Of all the mentioned bikes the klr is probably the only one that will never let you down. Ask Lodie who traveled 2 x cross continental Africa as well as Russia and other places.... Always someone to lay a rotten egg but hilarious .

Congrats on your purchase, long live the klr!!

Offline Tweeds

Re:
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:09 am »
Eish I had to withdraw due to affordability. Hoping to join the Wild dogs next year.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
Re:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »
Eish I had to withdraw due to affordability. Hoping to join the Wild dogs next year.

No need  join later, stay here and join in on the kakpraat while you save up

Offline Lem

Re:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »

No need  join later, stay here and join in on the kakpraat while you save up

+1

and if there comes up a neat KLR Fugly model/F650 GS/Funduro for around R 25 000 and you have the money, don't be scared to check them out if you have that amount ready.

Also budget for good kit: A combo of helmet, cordura jacket, riding pants & gloves can be picked up for around R 5 000 - R 10 000 depending on how well you shop around, and the quality selected.

Get riding  :thumleft: