Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2014 Dos Sertoes  (Read 3785 times)

Online SteveD

Re: 2014 Dos Sertoes
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:58 pm »
RESULTS: RALLY DOS SERTOES STAGE 4

Results Stage Four (unofficial at the time of filing)
Paracatu to São Francisco 585 kilometers, 364 km of timed special – longest of the rally

Stage Results
1, Paolo Goncalves, POR, Honda, 4 hours 24.02
2, Marc Coma, ESP, KTM 4:25.17
3, Helder Rodrigues, POR, Honda, 4:30.51
4, Jean Azevedo, BRA, Honda, 4:31.20
5, Jordi Viladoms, ESP, KTM, 4:31.34
6, Sam Sunderland, GBR, KTM 4:31.58
7, Ruben Faria, POR, KTM, 4:32.20
8, David Casteu, FRA, KTM, 4:36.09

Overall after Stage Four (unofficial at time of filing)

1, Coma, KTM 9 hours 43.56
2, Goncalves at 2 minutes 04
3, Azevedo at 9.37
4, Rodrigues at 11.33
5, Viladoms, KTM, at 14.20
6, Faria KTM, at 16.22
7, Sunderland, KTM at 19.32
8, Casteu, KTM at 22:59

There is some discussion on ADV about the dust that the riders have to battle through:

This style of (roadbook) rally puts extra emphasis on quick but accurate roadbook navigation and tripmeter correlation... Especially in the dusty, on piste road conditions. Typically the top five or six competitors will be seperated by fairly regular intervals (of about a minute or parts thereof). If the top ten start at two minute intervalls, then basically (if the dust is that heavy) they are likelöy running in @bout a one minute - to - minute thirty corridor of "clean air".
If you push hard and move forward... you are faced with a dust wall from the rider ahead to contend with (riskfull)... if you fall off the pace, or make a simple nav error at an intersection or similar (and get passed) then you fall down the ladder a spot - behind another "dust wall" and as a result, you go south down thru the ranks at the rate of about one minute for every rung.
This is the "concertina" type effect.....
It makes the marking of roadbooks important... aside from the usual "attention" and "danger" markings, GPS/WPMS that must be respected... a rider can also look for "hints" where maybe they can make up a place in the dust; ie. two very close notes, where indecision plays a part, gateways or grids (where the dust/momentum is not so great)... those type of things.
Racing a "dust tunnel" rally requires a bit of a different strategy... but it is a strategy none the less...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jQFeqUQN5bs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jQFeqUQN5bs</a>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:54:54 pm by SteveD »

Online SteveD

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:48 pm »
This could mess up your day, big time  :o:

(via FB+terrible translation)
Problems with the ferry after step yesterday several vehicles took to reach the Parc Fermé on account of delay in the ferry crossing of the river San Francisco. During the Rally, lifting Du Sachs showed how was this crossing.

Online SteveD

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 06:56:30 pm »
Some more random photos

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:07 am »
:eek: Big off in that video! Thanks for the update Steve :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online SteveD

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:14 am »
28/08 - 5th Stage - São Francisco (MG)/Diamantina (MG) - MARATHON
Initial Liaison: 223.57 km
Trecho especial: 335.98 km
Final Liaison: 85.89 km
Total: 645.44 km

The marathon stage, disputed on Thursday (28th), between the cities San Francisco and Diamantina (Minas Gerais State), marked the 5th stage of the 22th edition of the Rally dos Sertões. The competitors had the biggest stage of the rally this year, with a total of 645.44 km, 335.98 of special test.
In Bikes, the Spaniard Marc Coma (KTM Red Bull Factory Team) won his third stage in five and is on the lead, now with seven minutes of advantage to the Portuguese Paulo Gonçalves (Team Honda HRC), who was third on the day.
In quads, the event saw another change in the overall leadership. The current champion, Robert Nahas (RNN Sports) won and is the new leader. In UTVs, another change in the first position, with the duo André Sawaya and Eduardo Costa (S2 Rally / Bike Box) achieving the top.
Jean Azevedo is the first runner up in the stage and is the best Brazilian in Bikes
Besides Coma and Gonçalves, who has also shown a great performance is the Brazilian Jean Azevedo (Honda Mobil Rally). One of the most experienced and successful riders of the national rally, he was the first runner up today. Overall, he is in the third place.
Coma said at the end of the day that he liked the stage and he is optimistic. "It was the most complete stage of the rally, with much trial, much navigation and I tried to keep a good pace. I'm very happy for today. It was a great day", said the Spaniard.

6th Stage: Diamantina (MG) / Diamantina (MG)
On Friday (29th), the competitors will start and finish in Diamantina (Minas Gerais State) in the dispute of the 6th stage of the Rally dos Sertões 2014. There will be 204.29 km in total on the sixth day (0 km of initial liaison, 178.87 km of special and 25.42 km of final liaison).

Online SteveD

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 11:26:36 am »
From http://www.webventure.com.br/sertoes2014/n/check-out-what-the-physical-training-of-a-rally-motorbike-racer-is-like-/33260

Check out what the physical training of a rally motorbike racer is like

Participating in long rally races be it by car, motornbike, quad, utv or trucks, demands a lot from the competitors; not only techniques and skill, but also adeqaute physical and mental preparation.
Depending on the category, there are different physical demands, so each racer needs a certain type of training. “We have to analyze the sport as a whole, analyzes the categories and see the physical characteristics the racer needs”, states the physical trainer of the Rinaldi Yamaha team, Jackson da Silva.
Mainly for the motorbike riders, it is fundamental to work on their cardiovascular resistance and the muscle structure, especially of the lower limbs. “The race is very long and the rider stands in the same position for the whole time”, the trainer explains.
The trunk and the abdomen are other essential parts that also need working on. “The motorbike racer does a lot of movements with his trunk, so he has to be very strong not to feel back aches and tiredness in the shoulders”.
The competitors have regular training routines for muscles and vary the other activities. “The ideal is to vary as much as possible, preferably with activities that do not have much impact because on the motorbike the suspension is the one that receives impact”.

Simulating the competition
Among the diversified training sessions, at some moments the riders carry out activities wearing heavy clothes in order to experience the reality of the race, as far as the heat as well as dehydration is concerned. “In Brazil there are many places that are very hot, so in order to get close to this reality, they train with slacks, sweatshirts and hoods”, Jackson explains.
On the week of the rally, the racers do stretching exercises after the specials and take good care of their nourishment. “Before the specials, they have a reinforced breakfast with carbohydrates and proteins”, he explains. The teams do not go a day without lots of water, isotonics and food supplements to compensate the consequences of the race. “Depending on the stretch and on the racer, they lose between a kilo and a half and three kilos per day of special.”

Alcohol
At the end of the day some teams celebrate the results with beer, which, according Jackson, can have effects on the athlete. “Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed, it can even hinder their physical coordination, the generation of force and the intake of oxygen, but this depends very much on the person and the culture.”
Ricardo Martins, racer in the Spirit Rally Team, assures that the preparation Works and is essential for any competitor. “A tired racer is a dumb racer because no matter how well he knows how to do it, if his stamina ends, he will not be able to do it”, and he adds: “the champion manages to be a Champion with the sum of many details, it is not only because he is physically well prepared that he will be a champion, but if he is not prepared, he will not manage to be one”.

Offline LoodPb

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »
FARK!!!! ek't my breakfast weggeskrik met daai val!!!  :o :o :o

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 02:13:42 pm »
FARK!!!! ek't my breakfast weggeskrik met daai val!!!  :o :o :o

A good reminder for all of us. I still have a pretty fresh accident in Angola to draw on. May write a sign on my nav tower to remind me.

Offline KND

• Puppy
  • Love for adventure is in my blood
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 04:48:20 pm »
Hi
I entered for Sertoes but at the last minute our team decided to rather go to Turkey for the Transanatolia. It was sad for me because I prepared mentally for Sertoes. Even my rally jackets arrived with the Sertoes logo.

For us as a team it was just to expensive to send one rider over because Mohammed Balooshi could not make the race.
Well, I'm in Turkey now and have joined up with the Turkish KTM distributor - SPORMOTO - where we will leave early in the morning for Ankara for scrutineering.
Will keep you posted.

Kobus Potgieter
Its NOT how fast you GO, Its how GOOD you're looking going slow !!!!!

Online SteveD

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 08:22:27 pm »
Gonçalves and Coma decide the title on the last stage in Bikes

29/08 - 6ªth Stage - Diamantina (MG)/Diamantina (MG)
Initial Liaison: 0 km
Test Special: 178.87 km
Final Liaison: 25.42 km
Total: 204.29 km

Defined by the technical director of the Rally dos Sertões, Eduardo Sachs, as the most beautiful and complete special of the 22th edition of the Sertões, the sixth stage was held on Friday (29th) in Diamantina (Minas Gerais Stage). There were 204.29 km in total.
On Saturday (30th), Sertões 2014 will have the last stage and the new champions will be known in Belo Horizonte (Minas Gerais), where the dispute will end this year.
In bikes - which had 33 competitors in the stage this Friday - the Portuguese Paulo Gonçalves (Team Honda HRC) got his third victory in the edition and continues battle for the title against the Spaniard Marc Coma (KTM Red Bull Factory Team), who also has three wins and is the overall leader, with 16h45min39s (4min36s ahead to Gonçalves).
In the special of 178.87 kilometers, disputed today, Coma finished third behind the Brazilian Jean Azevedo (Honda Mobil de Rally).
Despite the advantage, Coma knows that there is still one more day to go and his goal is to remain cautious. "Today was important to control the pace, with a conservative tactic, knowing that we would lose some time, but it was good. It was not an easy stage. Tomorrow, there are still many miles, I will stay focused until the last kilometer", said the rider, who has won the Sertões in 2010 and is leading the FIM World Cross Country Rally.
Gonçalves admits it will not be easy to get his second title in Sertões. "It was a shorter special. I left in a good position, rode strong pace and, in the middle of the stage, I reached Jean, but it was very difficult to pass because of the dust. We have on more stage and it will be difficult to win, because Marc is a few minutes ahead, but the race hasn´t finished yet. Let's see what will happen".

Bikes - Overall
1. #2 MARC COMA (KTM / KTM RED BULL FACTORY TEAM) 16h45min39s
2. #1 PAULO GONCALVES (HONDA / TEAM HONDA HRC) 16h50min16s
3. #5 JEAN AZEVEDO (HONDA / HONDA MOBIL DE RALLY) 16h59min09s
4. #4 HELDER RODRIGUES (HONDA / TEAM HONDA HRC) 17h04min57s
5. #3 JORDI VILADOMS (KTM / KTM RED BULL FACTORY TEAM) 17h08min46s

Online SteveD

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 08:42:27 pm »
Gorgeous pictures!

Online SteveD

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »
From www.sertoes.com:

Rally dos Sertões: Coma wins on bikes

Aug 30 - 7th stage - Diamantina (MG)/Belo Horizonte (MG)
Initial Liaison: 54.38 km
Special Test: 125.88 Km
Final Liaison: 151.96 KM
TOTAL: 336.96 KM

After seven thrilling days through astonishing landscapes and crossing the states of Goiás and Minas Gerais, in a dispute that was longer than 2.6 thousand Km, the 22nd edition of Rally dos Sertões come to an and this Saturday, 30th, in Belo Horizonte. The party happened at the beautiful Pampulha Lagoon, and received a good amount of spectators, and happened in the same date of the Virada Cultural, seeing the winners of Sertões 2014.

On bikes Portuguese Paulo Goncalves (Honda HRC Team) won the last special, raced between Diamantina and Belo Horizonte, with 125.88 km timed and different floor types (gravel, fine gravel with bumps and cattle grids), with trial trial sections, up and down hills. The champion of the Sertões in 2013 won four of the seven stages, but could not overcome the Spaniard Marc Coma (KTM Red Bull Factory Team) is the new champion of the Rally. Coma won one less special than his rival, and won his second title in the biggest off-road race in Brazil (the first was in 2010).

World leader of the FIM Cross Country Rally, Coma came waging a private battle with the Portuguese and won with the advantage of 3min23s (total 18h21min51s).

Outside the international fight, the Brazilian Jean Azevedo (Honda Rally Mobil) was a highlight, and finished third, 14min05s behind Coma. Portuguese Helder Rodrigues (Team HRC Honda) was fourth, followed by Spanish Jordi Viladoms (Red Bull KTM Factory Team).

"Winning here in Brazil is very difficult, especially when you have such strong riders in the race, as Paul and Jean. It was a hard route, and I’m very happy. The pace was very strong, and I had to do my best to win this year. In all my career I could only win Sertões once. If it is ten days or seven days, for me it has the same value. It was as hard this year as it was in 2010", he said.

From 37 bikes that left Goiania (GO), 32 raced the last special.

(I wonder what the green tripmeter in the third and fourth photo is?)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:49 am »
Awesome race, awesome performance by the top guys, and all involved.

I found it interesting that Marc Coma said it was as hard as the 2010 race; 32/38 finishers tells me it was hard but not that bad. In 2010, we had 38/73 finished, with 3 more stages and twice the length. I guess he was being gracious. It was a good battle by the Gonk though, he is very consistent in everything but the Dakar.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 02:25:29 am »
Sam Sunderland finished but not well, must have been super frustrating for him.