First 60 days as a biker chick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monteith

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F700GS
On the 28th June, after months of excitement and consideration (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=150716.0) I took ownership of my first bike  :laughing4: (and I mean EVER!! never had any kind of bike with an engine before) from TechnomadicJim – very chuffed that my new bike has a story as James just completed a 29 000km trip through Southern Africa with the bike (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=137240.0). Even more chuffed that both my feet could touch the ground at the same time – this was a big concern in the hunt for the right bike.

Myfistbike2_zps5163d440.jpg

First it was time to learn where everything is and how to take care of my bike – a bit daunting as I’m not very technical:  ???

IMG_1534_zpsc1810780.jpg

During the first few weekends I only just about had enough guts to take the bike around the neighborhood… Practicing clutch control, stopping, starting, turning, and off course not to get a fright every time I see a car  :-\ Wow… I can’t remember learning to drive a car was this difficult…?
Day three of practicing I got it in 5th gear!! Rest of the trip was a bit slow but at least I am learning the neighborhood  :laughing4:

1_zpse9b18c08.png

Now it was time to get out of the neighborhood as I was getting bored and wanted to explore. So, on my first longer ride two dogs went with me – very sweet – one stayed in front of me and the other behind me the complete trip – very comforting :)
We went from Vishoek over Red hill road to Scarborough, Misty Cliffs, Kommetjie and with Blackhill road to the Viper Lounge in Glencairn for a well-deserved beer  :)
Leaving the pub the realization of all the bikers suddenly dawned on me and it felt like everyone was watching… Well the moment was a bit big and my start was way less than smooth… Luckily I managed to stay on the bike and kept it upright.

2_zps3d398c33.png

Lowrider and I at Soetwater - between Scarborough and Kommetjie – Practiced a little sand riding while we were out and about.  Photo by Jw-Trx

IMG_1485_zps01572631.jpg

The next weekend we did a similar route in the deep south but this time took Kommetjie road to go  home – on a Sunday in perfect beach weather, thus running into major traffic (in my nervous newbie eyes anyway )… I kept my eyes only on Lowrider’s tail (probably not the best idea but as good as it gets at this stage) – Luckily he was testing out his new 450cc Husqvarna with some or other custom exhaust that makes a lot of noise so the cars made a little way… and I didn’t scratch anything or anybody…
Getting out of the traffic we tried out a gravel path next to the sports fields…  
Oops… took my first tumble – or mini tumble  :'(
Too slow and wrong gear and decided way too late in which direction I wanted to go… not even the  steady bushlander can handle that much indecision…

oops_zps5bf3e41a.jpg

Luckily both of us got away without any additional scars. AND I got my first lesson in picking up the bike – not too bad considering it’s still pretty heavy even though it’s a “light” bike.

allseemsfine_zps6ea8efd4.jpg

Next it was time to do an overnight trip so I got awesome dry bags from ARK inflatables and a tool tube from Roodt. Even though I desperately want to go camping with the bike we decided to rather visit friends on a farm between Montagu and De Doorns so we can keep the bikes as light as possible for the first longer trip.
In preparation I had my first try at a home-made custom tool roll for all the bikes tools – as you can see, need some more practice but this will suffice for now and fits nicely into the tool tube.

IMG_1710_zpscae9c295.jpg

Bikes all packed and ready to leave on Saturday morning.

allpackedforMontagu_zps42535978.jpg

Jeeze was I nervous and exited and everything all at once.  Got a head/side wind on the Baden Powell drive and could hardly get the bike over 70km/h. This was going to be a long ride.
We decided to add as much as possible gravel road as firstly I am still scared of too much traffic and secondly… well going off the beaten track is why we ride Dual Purpose isn’t it??
We went through Stellenbosch, did the Helshoogte pass and went through Franschoek. Now by this time I was getting tired – I really had to work hard to try to keep the little Bushlander at 80km/h, my left shoulder started hurting and it was freeking cold even at these low speeds. We stopped on top of the Franschoek pass – thinking it would be awesome for the views – which was great but the wind was freezing so we didn’t stay too long…
Saw some guys getting ready to go down the pass towards Villiersdorp with skateboards – I’m thinking that may be a bit dangerous but probably very exhilarating!!!

IMG_1721_zpsd254e153.jpg

See how nice the tool tube sit on the left side of the luggage rack  :)

Franschoekpass_zps3a056f83.jpg

In Villiersdorp we stopped to get some coffee and hot chocolate and whatever else it took to get warm again.
Leaving we found a nice gravel road that took us towards Robertson.

IMG_1714_zpsda4d693c.jpg

IMG_1718_zpse06245b9.jpg

On the next tar road leading into Robertson I made the best discovery yet… If I push my bum out a bit and lean forward the bike can go up to 100km/h and my left shoulder doesn’t feel like it’s going to disconnect from my body at any given moment…  (Needless to say this advice was given to me earlier but it went into one ear and out the other ;-)
So the rest of the ride went much smoother. Had a nice lunch in Montagu and head out for the last stretch to the farm…

IMG_1720_zps4ba56469.jpg

The trip from Vishoek to Krakedouw took us approximately 7 hours… all stops included. I was so tired I fell asleep during the SA Argentine game which doesn’t happen easily but luckily it doesn’t sound like I missed much…
Going back on Sunday went much better – now that I know the bike can go faster and we stopped a bit less.  

IMG_1713_zpsdf1e0692.jpg

On a short cut between Robertson and Villiersdorp a bridge was washed away… I’m definitely not ready to try a crossing like this  ;) so we found a slightly longer road…

missingbridge_zpsc256870c.jpg

IMG_1723_zpsd8cf8aa5.jpg

The journey back took much less time.
We washed and lubed the bikes… Me very tired – the bushlander nice and clean and ready for the next trip – hopefully a full on camping one  ;D. Thanks Lowrider for all the support and patience  :)

Myfirstbike_zps8128fe8d.jpg

Btw… I have named it my “Bush-baby” – stickers to follow soon… hopefully  ;)