Plastic tank - lining to seal and prevent fuel vapour discolouring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDavexlv750r

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
I have recently ordered a 26 liter Acerbis tank for my 1994 Suzuki DR650R.

The tank is rather expensive so obviously I would like to keep it looking good and also apply decals to it. But, we all know that the fuel vapour permeates the plastic causing discoloration and decals just don't stick unless perforated - and then they still don't stick indefinitely.

So I did some research and found 3 possible products that could be used to seal the inner of the tank and to create a lining that prevents the fuel  vapours doing damage to the tank.

These are Caswells epoxy tank liner ( good for poly ethylene tank sealing - Acerbis tanks are poly ethylene), Blue Lightning tank liner - designed to seal flexible plastic tanks - don't know what the product is made from? And 3M's tank liner that also dries to a flexible finish with good plastic adhesion.

So the question I need an answer to is - which of the products have any of WD tried or have experience with? Do we have a local epoxy ( phenol novac) that can be purchased that does the same job with the same excellent adhesion and resistance to our fuels? Am I on the right track as far as wanting to retain  the cosmetic appearance of the new tank and to promote good adhesion of decals, goes? Are there any other positive suggestions in this regard!

I certainly don't want a white tank being discoloured. It seems that most plastic tanks seem to go a dirty yellow from fuel vapour. :sip: