Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 2384 times)

Offline BMW GS Motorrad Fan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • Sandton Auto BMW Motorrad
Couple of questions
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:06 am »
I've got a couple of questions regarding my 2014 R1200GS liquid-cooled ...

1. The gearbox seems quite rough and the gear selections don't always feel very precise. I especially hate it when you're stopped somewhere in neutral and need to select first - it makes a loud clunk and or grinding noise. My bike currently has 500km's on the clock. Will this get better with time?

2. I'm coming up for my 1,000km service soon. I stay in the north of Johannesburg so my closest dealers are Northside Motorcycles and Lyndhurst Auto. Which of those dealerships would you recommend for servicing? I've serviced at Northside Motorcycles in the past and know Steve quite well, but don't know what Lyndhurst Auto is like. I bought the bike from Lyndhurst, but have had bad experiences in the past with my car there.

3. What is my 1,000km service going to cost me?

4. The windscreen on my bike rattles quite a lot - is that normal or is there something I can do to rectify it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:13:21 am by BMW GS Motorrad Fan »

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:31:47 am »
Northside all the way :thumleft:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline TheBear

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:20 am »

1. The gearbox seems quite rough and the gear selections don't always feel very precise. I especial hate it when you're stopped somewhere in neutral and need to select first - it makes a loud clunk and or grinding noise. My bike currently has 500km's on the clock. Will this get better with time?

Janee.  The gearbox is crap, at best!  I hate that huge clunk myself.  The one part of the bike that detracts from the overall excellence.  You'd think BMW could do better.  Mine is at 3000km no better and my wife's is at 13000km no better, so it probably does not get better.

2. I'm coming up for my 1,000km service soon. I stay in the north of Johannesburg so my closest dealers are Northside Motorcycles and Lyndhurst Auto. Which of those dealerships would you recommend for servicing? I've serviced at Northside Motorcycles in the past and know Steve quite well, but don't know what Lyndhurst Auto is like. I bought the bike from Lyndhurst, but have had bad experiences in the past with my car there.

I have heard Northside is better.  I use Bavarian in Centurion myself, so can't say from personal experience.

At Bavarian about R1400.  Could be much more than that elsewhere depending on whether they use 5W or 10W oil.

4. The windscreen on my bike rattles quite a lot - is that normal or is there something I can do to rectify it?

Jip.  It does rattle easily.  Ask them to repair, but it will start again soon enough.  Check out the forum vendors like Flying Brick or GPS4Africa.  They sell a gadget that solves that.

.#BRADICAL!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:51 am »

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:17:26 am »

1. The gearbox seems quite rough and the gear selections don't always feel very precise. I especial hate it when you're stopped somewhere in neutral and need to select first - it makes a loud clunk and or grinding noise. My bike currently has 500km's on the clock. Will this get better with time?

Janee.  The gearbox is crap, at best!  I hate that huge clunk myself.  The one part of the bike that detracts from the overall excellence.  You'd think BMW could do better.  Mine is at 3000km no better and my wife's is at 13000km no better, so it probably does not get better.

I have heard Northside is better.  I use Bavarian in Centurion myself, so can't say from personal experience.

At Bavarian about R1400.  Could be much more than that elsewhere depending on whether they use 5W or 10W oil.

Jip.  It does rattle easily.  Ask them to repair, but it will start again soon enough.  Check out the forum vendors like Flying Brick or GPS4Africa.  They sell a gadget that solves that.

Thank you AMZ - really appreciate your feedback.

I'll double check with Northside Motorcycles what oil they use on the bikes.
I will see if I can find that gadget you mentioned Flying Brick and GPS4Africa sell.
I agree with you completely regarding the gearbox - it detracts completely from the overall experience of the bike. I'd say apart from the gearbox, the bike is absolutely amazing!

Offline OomD

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:33 am »

1. The gearbox seems quite rough and the gear selections don't always feel very precise. I especially hate it when you're stopped somewhere in neutral and need to select first - it makes a loud clunk and or grinding noise. My bike currently has 500km's on the clock. Will this get better with time?
Having had a Harley before coming to BMW the clunky gearbox does not bother me too much.

I paid R1295 at Bavarian 2 weeks ago...

Apparently they even crack eventually, I've read about a few guys that have had their's replaced. Mine doesn't rattle really, it seems quite stable.
Most of all... congrats and enjoy this fabulous bike!

Offline Nox

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:29:42 pm »

1. The bike's gearbox will remain clunky, however the shifts will become smoother as the selectors wears in. I remember when I bought my 2014, the first robot, I could not get it from 3rd to second, and had to press the gear lever hard, and two days later all was fine. Given that it took me an entire weekend to get to a 1000km.

2. Cant comment on that - Live in the Free State.

3. Myne was about R1500

4. I have installed a Wunderlicht stabilizer on mine, which works well.
To Live is Christ - To die is Gain... Fil: 1:21

2013 1200 GS - 2011 KTM 300 - current
2008 1200 GS 2007 XMoto
2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 - current bike 2012 Kawasaki KX 250 2008 Kawasaki ZX 14 2008 Kawasaki ZX 6 2004 BMW 1200 GS Suzuki GSXR 1000 K4 - stuntbike 1994 Honda Fireblade 900 rr - stuntbike 2006 ER6F - stuntbike 2006 Honda TRX 400 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 Blue - written off 2006 Kawasaki Z 750 S 1984 BMW R100RS 1992 Yamaha DT 180 1988 Honda MTX 50 1985 Kawasaki

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:10 pm »
What eveyone said. I have had my windscreen replaced at about 6500km with the new designed brackets and all. No cracks yet, 2500 km further.

About the rattling windscreen, look in the road and you don't even notice the windscreen after a while. You get used to it, and it doesn't bother you after a while.

If by rattling you mean noise- ride faster and that problem is solved as well 😄👍

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 08:05:05 am »

Having had a Harley before coming to BMW the clunky gearbox does not bother me too much.

I paid R1295 at Bavarian 2 weeks ago...

Apparently they even crack eventually, I've read about a few guys that have had their's replaced. Mine doesn't rattle really, it seems quite stable.
Most of all... congrats and enjoy this fabulous bike!

Thank you OomD  :)

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:08:06 am »

1. The bike's gearbox will remain clunky, however the shifts will become smoother as the selectors wears in. I remember when I bought my 2014, the first robot, I could not get it from 3rd to second, and had to press the gear lever hard, and two days later all was fine. Given that it took me an entire weekend to get to a 1000km.

2. Cant comment on that - Live in the Free State.

3. Myne was about R1500

4. I have installed a Wunderlicht stabilizer on mine, which works well.

I've seen the Wunderlicht stabilizer advertised at a few places ... Is it easy to install?
You say it works well and resolved the rattle issue?

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:09:25 am »
What eveyone said. I have had my windscreen replaced at about 6500km with the new designed brackets and all. No cracks yet, 2500 km further.

About the rattling windscreen, look in the road and you don't even notice the windscreen after a while. You get used to it, and it doesn't bother you after a while.

If by rattling you mean noise- ride faster and that problem is solved as well 😄👍

:imaposer: I think that's the problem Draadwerk - more speed is required  :imaposer:

Offline COLES

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »

I will not accept that you the owner of the bike should go out and buy brackets to make the screen better BMW MUST FIX IT

Strange how things work  I was by the dealer that there was only one oil the manufacture specified and that is Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 which one can buy at most Midas stores much cheaper than the dealer.

Buy your oil )Midas),oil filter from dealer you end up paying only for the hour labor

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 07:40:09 pm »

I will not accept that you the owner of the bike should go out and buy brackets to make the screen better BMW MUST FIX IT

Strange how things work  I was by the dealer that there was only one oil the manufacture specified and that is Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 which one can buy at most Midas stores much cheaper than the dealer.

Buy your oil )Midas),oil filter from dealer you end up paying only for the hour labor

My bike is now due for its 10 000km service. Is there a list or manual or something that describes what exactly should be serviced, what parts would be needed, and can I buy from Midas and just give to agents to use in service?

Anyone tried doing this before? Would the dealer be amenable to servicing with parts that I bought elsewhere?

Also, would that not have any effect on the warranty, as they might easily turn around and say I supplied an inferior product, because it would be obvious that the parts were not bought from them, should anything go wrong.

Is it worth the risk? What say you?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »
Draadwerk, I would have to check if I still have the 10k list somewhere. I found one early this year just before I took my bike.

Regarding supplying parts for the service, in my experience our ZA dealers are not that keen. However, I would be really surprised if you find any part/consumable for the K50 at an independant parts dealer. I would guess that if you did and it's not the original part that it will affect warranty. I personally would not take the chance given the cost of the service as a % of the bike's purchase price.

Just my opinion.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »
LKM- I also share that view. Look, oil is freely available, and I suppose that would be the biggest expense at the service. But yes, if you don't buy from stealers, I also have doubts about them honouring the warranty later on.

What did you pay for the 10K service?

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:35 am »
R1700 if I remember correctly.

Offline COLES

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 07:52:20 am »

Gents read carefully what I posted  Oil from Midas or who ever stocks it one pays premium price at the BMW dealer there is no discount on goods from the Parts department

Oil filter is a must from the Dealer

Go back in history on this very site there was a great discussion on the price that the oil cost when having you L C SERVICE for the first time(1000km) dealer price

My first service cost me under R1000 I supplied oil bought filter from dealer

Hey fellows only trying to help works for me   

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:54 am »
Thanks Coles. I really want to follow your advice. What oil to buy from Midas though? How much? Or shall I ask the stealer to give me a list?

Also, what do you estimate the savings to be when buying from Midas instead of dealers?

I am thinking of letting the stealers sign a letter that I supplied them with oil that was of an equal or better quality. I think I will be able to persuade them to do so. If I can manage that, the door is open for future and huge savings I suppose

Offline lecap

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:46 am »
At some early stage BMW specified only Castrol Power 1 Racing in grade 5W40 to be used and they said it will void the warranty to use some thing else and it's the only oil approved to work in their all fancy wet clutch and engine oil lubricated gear box.
Accidentally Castrol SA did not import this oil (only its 10W50 grade cousin) and again accidentally BMW stocked and sold the required oil at an obscene price close to the one of high end perfume.
But rest assured D&G or Chanel#5 does work better on the ladies :D

You can anyway get 5W40 JASO MA spec motorcycle engine oil (that's what BMW basically specifies) and you can get it for a good price too. (I charge R80 per litre) I would still recommend that you ask the workshop BEFORE you rock up there with your own supplies. You also would not go to the pub with your own beer and ask them only for a chair and a glass ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:23 am »
Another one of those difficult debatable points - Its just a pity that you can buy oil say for Rx and then the stealers or some other workshops charge Rx times 2 and labour.

Labour is what you expecet and I would not mind a 25% mark up on parts - thats business

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:00:08 am by VaalBaas »
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet