Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 469470 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »
Tom gaan Manon Ossevoort haar trip daar naby julle begin?

http://www.myfarmlife.com/first-gear/massey-to-the-south-pole-part-ii/

http://blog.agcocorp.com/tag/manon-ossevoort/

Hallo Chris

Ek het juis die anderdag n artikel raakgelees op 'iol motoring.za' en gewonder wat die trip besonderhede sal wees.
Die SA Agulhas 2 vertrek juis as ek dit reg het in die omgewing van die 2e Desember na Antarctica toe.
Sover het ek egter nog niks gehoor nie en moet se ons sit natuurlik heeltemal 'off course' van die skeepsroete.
Die vraag is dan eerder vanwaar sy sal begin en ek glo nie dit sal van die Suid Afrikaanse Arctic basis wees nie aangesien ons nie meer gebruik maak van die Camof helikopter wat 5 ton kan lig en sodoende n trekker aan wal kan bring en ons mag ooknie meer n 'ramp in the Ice wall of edge' maak nie.
Ek dink dus sy sal op n ander ekspedisie wees

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »
Reken die manne met die dik brille by Massey het gou gespring vir die idee aangesien hulle masjienerie aan Sir Edmund H ook verskaf het
lank terug.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
Thanks very much. Your photos are outstanding. I often wonder how those land based birds got there in the first place.

Are there any indigenous land animals there such as mammals, reptiles and insects.  I guess you got to be very careful that you don't import horrors like poisonous goggas and the like. After the cat buggerup of a few years ago I suppose things are strict.

Do you guys have any pets, watch dogs not necessary I suppose, but what about say a budgie. 

Is all your electricity generator sourced or do you have solar or wind power.

I really don't know how you can concentrate on work with such prestine fishing conditions.  One can only dream, so I will make the most of Rust de Winter dam.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2014, 01:53:48 am »
Thanks very much. Your photos are outstanding. I often wonder how those land based birds got there in the first place.

Are there any indigenous land animals there such as mammals, reptiles and insects.  I guess you got to be very careful that you don't import horrors like poisonous goggas and the like. After the cat buggerup of a few years ago I suppose things are strict.

Do you guys have any pets, watch dogs not necessary I suppose, but what about say a budgie. 

Is all your electricity generator sourced or do you have solar or wind power.

I really don't know how you can concentrate on work with such prestine fishing conditions.  One can only dream, so I will make the most of Rust de Winter dam.

There are luckily no reptiles - not that I dislike them but on a remote site like this the last thing you need is a bite from a poisoness snake!  :o
There is no indigenous land animals but a few insects although nothing extraordinary. Only and unfortunately flies (I can not recall that we had any flies at Marion Island but Kobus can correct me here) and just one spider species which is not poisoness and actually very scares. What makes Gough quite unique is that it do get quite cold here with snow (although not nearly as much snow as on Marion) but the summer (Summer just started and it will get cold around March again) can be warm - we had 19 degrees yesterday and it was close to 100% in humidity! We should see Summer temperatures up to 26 degree Celsius. There are very little insects here, and they are hard to spot as well.

We have unfortunately introduced an alien plant by the name sagina from Marion Island, and big money was already spent and they are still working hard to eradicate it. We have even a dedicated team member just fighting sagina and also doing rope work with herbicides (abseil to get to the plants) in a desperate attempt to get rid of this. 

The last day on the ship before we get flown over is a boot washing ceremony where all velcro and boots and clothing get inspected and washed to get rid of seeds etc. Al containers get treated by aerosol poison just to prevent any insects or eggs on the Island.

No pets allowed, not even a fur seal. There was years back a seal by the name of 'spotty' on Marion Island, till one team member tried to play with the 'wrong Spotty' and got bitten badly! The Environmental rules are extreme and one can easily get banned from all future projects if you step out of line. That is why I still need to be strong for another 1 and a half week before I will be allowed to fish again due to quarantined area that has been treated with herbicides.

The cat buggerup at Marion was quite stupid. It was introduced to get the mouse plaque under control. Why will a cat catch a mouse if it can just eat seabirds and penguin babies? Took them years and SA Special forces to cull the wild ones that could not be trapped.

The generation of electricity is lifting a lot of eyebrows as all the sub arctic Islands are still running only on diesel generators. There have been proposed models of wind generators etc and my year on Marion Woody1 (Kobus) and I got flown to a site to remove a damaged wind generator which was burned completely out as the gusts are just too strong. The other challenge is the birds that got caught by the blades......so I know the French on Kergeulen Island and other have been experimenting with various ideas, but there are still no answer on 'clean or green energy'. Not enough sunshine also for solar system, especially during Winter when it rain upto 22 days a month. 

I have received my parcel today from the Edinburgh and there was even a couple of circle hooks which I will try on the mighty Blue fish which we just cant land as they either come loose, break the line on the rocks etc. I have been fishing for many years but that is one species I would like to catch! Also the Whit Steenbra (different to the ones we know on the West coast especially in Namibia) and also the 'funny fish'. I will try to scan and post a photo at some stage.

Thanks to all for the interest in Gough Island!
Cheers
Tom :thumleft:

PS: Nothing wrong with Rust de Winter dam! I would like to do some fishing there one day when I'm back!

Online Offshore

« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2014, 08:08:28 am »
The Bluefish you are talking about, is it Shad?
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »
The Bluefish you are talking about, is it Shad?

No, it is also called Southern Butterfish if I am not mistaken. It is rather big, although they hardly grow longer than a meter they are huge and a small one is considered 10kg. I have seen a couple in the 20kg+ range but not from the shore though, as they favor water deeper than 80 meter

Offline Doringboom

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2014, 02:55:03 pm »
Hallo Tom!

Baie dankie vir jou beskrywings van julle eilandlewe en veral vir jou mooi en interessante foto's :thumleft:

Groete

(Die V-Strom loop nog punt-in-die-wind :ricky: Hy het 2 weke gelede sy 1000km diens gehad en hy is nou reg vir 'n langpad. Ek hoop om vir my Kersfees-en-Nuwejaar verloffie die Pretoria - Upington - Pretoria pad te vat met hom!)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »
lekker thread die TVB. Dankie dat jy jou ervarings en kennis en fotos deel
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2014, 04:47:28 pm »
lekker thread die TVB. Dankie dat jy jou ervarings en kennis en fotos deel

Jy is welkom mater!

Here a couple of pics quickly taken yesterday when the Edinburgh arrived!

Look how close to the Island this big ships can anchor in the second photo, ok the photo is not taken from the shore but its less than 50m!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2014, 04:53:46 pm »
We got nice pressies from Tristan da Cunha Island. Some home made wool beanies, some fruit cakes, banana bread and home made crisps as well (beats our well known chips in SA for sure) I also got 18 beers from a friend on Tristan, and each got a field guide

My parcel from Fritz anglers paradise in Pretoria (with some extras from my kids) also arrived after a journey of over 5000km!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »
All for now!  :thumleft:

Online DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2014, 05:16:56 pm »
enjoying this :thumleft: especially the angling  :thumleft: :thumleft:
thanks
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »
Just wanted to add a picture of the waterfall that is quite close to our home, nice pool to swim during the warmer part of the year!  :thumleft:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2014, 04:53:30 am »
Any caves on the island? Looks like there is some great kloofing.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2014, 07:34:43 am »
Thanks for all the info.  I really do, and I am sure a lot of others, appreciate the trouble you have taken so far.

I really am pleased to hear about the extreme caution taken to keep the island "original".  pity the RSA population don't do the same with plastic bags and cool drink cans. 

Those circle hooks are brilliant. Hope you put them to good use.

There must be some killer wind down there to wreck a wind turbine. Those turbines in the North Sea take a beating. Seems crazy not to use wind turbines, batteries, etc for electricity, but then I suppose you need lots of Amps to keep all the goodies going.

Keep putting up the photos. By the time you get back you will probably think the Karoo is is the moon by way of vegetation.

Now I'm off to a client and to tackle the traffic. I bet you missing the taxis.   :D

Offline DawieNel

« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2014, 08:57:09 am »
 :sip:

Offline oldmannorman

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • suzuki TS250 ER
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
 :sip:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2014, 12:56:49 pm »
Any caves on the island? Looks like there is some great kloofing.

Quite a lot and there are several thousands of birds that breeds in burrows or in the caves. The bird go by the name of: 'pryon's' and they are making the most beautiful sounds (spooky) during the night. The caves are however with good reason out of bound for any other than the field workers (biologists) who are trained to enter and to preserve - very dangerous are there is huge drop offs etc.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2014, 01:09:51 pm »
Hier is 'n boek wat jy moet lees om die invloed van vreemde spesies te verstaan. Dit vertel onder andere hoe erdwurms wat onwetend na Amerika geneem is die koers van die wereld vir altyd verander het. Jy kan die audioboek as torrent van die internet aflaai.

http://www.amazon.com/1493-Uncovering-World-Columbus-Created-ebook/dp/B004G606EY

From the author of 1491—the best-selling study of the pre-Columbian Americas—a deeply engaging new history of the most momentous biological event since the death of the dinosaurs.

More than 200 million years ago, geological forces split apart the continents. Isolated from each other, the two halves of the world developed radically different suites of plants and animals. When Christopher Columbus set foot in the Americas, he ended that separation at a stroke. Driven by the economic goal of establishing trade with China, he accidentally set off an ecological convulsion as European vessels carried thousands of species to new homes across the oceans.

The Columbian Exchange, as researchers call it, is the reason there are tomatoes in Italy, oranges in Florida, chocolates in Switzerland, and chili peppers in Thailand. More important, creatures the colonists knew nothing about hitched along for the ride. Earthworms, mosquitoes, and cockroaches; honeybees, dandelions, and African grasses; bacteria, fungi, and viruses; rats of every description—all of them rushed like eager tourists into lands that had never seen their like before, changing lives and landscapes across the planet.

Eight decades after Columbus, a Spaniard named Legazpi succeeded where Columbus had failed. He sailed west to establish continual trade with China, then the richest, most powerful country in the world. In Manila, a city Legazpi founded, silver from the Americas, mined by African and Indian slaves, was sold to Asians in return for silk for Europeans. It was the first time that goods and people from every corner of the globe were connected in a single worldwide exchange. Much as Columbus created a new world biologically, Legazpi and the Spanish empire he served created a new world economically.

As Charles C. Mann shows, the Columbian Exchange underlies much of subsequent human history. Presenting the latest research by ecologists, anthropologists, archaeologists, and historians, Mann shows how the creation of this worldwide network of ecological and economic exchange fostered the rise of Europe, devastated imperial China, convulsed Africa, and for two centuries made Mexico City—where Asia, Europe, and the new frontier of the Americas dynamically interacted—the center of the world. In such encounters, he uncovers the germ of today’s fiercest political disputes, from immigration to trade policy to culture wars.

In 1493, Charles Mann gives us an eye-opening scientific interpretation of our past, unequaled in its authority and fascination.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.