Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 449943 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »
A very good read Jacobsroodt, the one scientist here is actually sharing a lot of this info with us as she is in charge of the sagina eradication project this year. Yes the world was changed once and forever as the great discoverers went on their missions. Imagine what Africa would be like today if it wasn't for colonization. The Pigmies in the formare Zaire (Congo) ( Pigmies I refer to as little short people and also known as the Effe people [afrikaans:stamnaam] ) would still been haunting elephant with their asegai and mashettis and the rain forest of Uganda would still have excised just like the neighboring Congo's forest is vanishing. No Cariba or Cahora bassa....a lot of things would have been different. But man is the meanest predator walking earth and ever so selfish - even in little ways.

Got almost carried away! thanks for posting this Jacobsroodt  :thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:17 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  I really do, and I am sure a lot of others, appreciate the trouble you have taken so far.

I really am pleased to hear about the extreme caution taken to keep the island "original".  pity the RSA population don't do the same with plastic bags and cool drink cans. 

Those circle hooks are brilliant. Hope you put them to good use.

There must be some killer wind down there to wreck a wind turbine. Those turbines in the North Sea take a beating. Seems crazy not to use wind turbines, batteries, etc for electricity, but then I suppose you need lots of Amps to keep all the goodies going.

Keep putting up the photos. By the time you get back you will probably think the Karoo is is the moon by way of vegetation.

Now I'm off to a client and to tackle the traffic. I bet you missing the taxis.   :D

The wind is not constant but we have gusts sometimes in excess of 200km/h. However, there is now build in technology to prevent this from happening with the new generation wind turbines but problems are:
a) Gough is a British Island and the SA Government will not invest on British turf.
b) Gough is a world Heritage site and part of that a few rules that can't be changed eg: 'No permanent structures is allowed to be erected other than on already the exciting foundation/platform - to add here, the base is in a sad state - completely bad condition and there is no conclusion yet as to when and if this base will be replaced any time soon. The are other possibilities of generating electricity as well but then they reason that they cant put permanent structures on or they will need for instance battery packs etc and the battery argument especially with regards to disposal is ongoing all over the 'green show'
c) If you change from the simple tried and tested diesel generator to something else you sit with a new dilemma: Marion Island was always just a relatively small maintenance team but ever since the new modern base was build the team has grown and an additional electrician and electrical engineer now added to the team and they cant even keep up as PWD needs to do maintenance and has already asked now for extended time to sort out a few niggles. The PWD team is public works and they is contracted to do maintenance over or during takeover periods.
Now bigger team means more money on salary and the extras per person such as food per year, clothes (currently your outfit will cost the tax payer R20K for just the clothing and there are 3 expeditions: Marion, Gough and Antarctica)
BUT: Apart from this also additional training required to train the exhibitionists before they can board the ship! Also train 3 x teams a year and hardly youll see someone like me returning to do another trip especially to the same Island simply because of family life.

There are more to this, but I trust you get the point

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2014, 12:01:42 am »
Ok the scientists are busy with night birding and they got a nice Prion which they have measured up just now.
Bill size, wings etc

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2014, 03:15:10 pm »
Great reading this. I have wanted to visit the Southern Ocean Islands for a long time.
Enjoy your stay, and keep warm.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:59 pm »
Great reading this. I have wanted to visit the Southern Ocean Islands for a long time.
Enjoy your stay, and keep warm.

Thanks Doc! It is still not too late to apply for a voyage doctor and just come down on the ship for a month return trip!!
I am sure they will conciser you - biggest issues are people that get sea sic on the ship and maybe suturing up a wound

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »
Thanks. Sea sick? I can take lots of paper bags, some needles and thread, may I give them your name as a referee?

Sounds good and perhaps I shall do that.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2014, 12:13:30 am »
Thanks. Sea sick? I can take lots of paper bags, some needles and thread, may I give them your name as a referee?

Sounds good and perhaps I shall do that.

Doc, once you have recovered pm me and I can give you all the contact details. The well known dr Green (TV Shows and Radio) is the doc to work through. A very pleasant man, passionate about the program and he has also done take over trips and still do. Age is not an issue, only a fair level of fitness as far as I know. Who knows, you might still sail the South Atlantic!  :thumleft:

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:07 am »
I shall do that, thank you.

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24:53 am »
One of the great predators, they are visious and will even take other birds on in flight!

Skua!!  :laughing4:

Look how the mom (or dad) is hugging this one. They are very difficult to know apart...even the scientists struggle to know male from female

That skua seems to be sitting on a cycad (broodboom)?

Nice experience which you seem to be use to, Tom.  I know that South Africa has a lease agreement regarding Gough and part of our commitment is to do the run to Tristan.  That is one of the reasons why they get preferential treatment.  Many years ago when I started in Foreign Affairs I was the desk officer dealing with, among others, Antarctica which included the islands.  All your activities brong back fond memories.  Ironically, my dealings with Antarctica took me much further north than I ever travelled south (visited Svalbard during an Antarctic Treaty meeting in Norway with the officials from the Antarctic management team).  Anything green and ecological are very high on the agenda of these programmes and the countries are doing their best to out do each other.  It is also a matter of prestige, apart from the scientific reasons.

Enjoy your stay and with all those yellow tails and snoek you will have no shortage of omega 3 fatty acids.  Good for the ticker...
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2014, 02:16:38 pm »
One of the great predators, they are visious and will even take other birds on in flight!

Skua!!  :laughing4:

Look how the mom (or dad) is hugging this one. They are very difficult to know apart...even the scientists struggle to know male from female

That skua seems to be sitting on a cycad (broodboom)?

Nice experience which you seem to be use to, Tom.  I know that South Africa has a lease agreement regarding Gough and part of our commitment is to do the run to Tristan.  That is one of the reasons why they get preferential treatment.  Many years ago when I started in Foreign Affairs I was the desk officer dealing with, among others, Antarctica which included the islands.  All your activities brong back fond memories.  Ironically, my dealings with Antarctica took me much further north than I ever travelled south (visited Svalbard during an Antarctic Treaty meeting in Norway with the officials from the Antarctic management team).  Anything green and ecological are very high on the agenda of these programmes and the countries are doing their best to out do each other.  It is also a matter of prestige, apart from the scientific reasons.

Enjoy your stay and with all those yellow tails and snoek you will have no shortage of omega 3 fatty acids.  Good for the ticker...

Hello Copernicus

It is indeed a cicad; 'Blechnum palmiforme bog fern'  :thumleft:

Yes the original lease between SA and Tristand was a peppercorn a year, but the bookkeepers found it difficult and then the agreement of the assistance to haul cargo on the SA Agulhas as well as passangers to and through SA.

Indeed a very interesting history and you know what I said after reaching Tristan da Cunha Island in 2008 and then a few days later Gough Island? I said; 'No I have lived'
I felt so contend and everything was just sort of complete. However, one mans Paradise is the next man hell as many hate and regret signing up. That is however people who just cant deal with isolation. Come to think of it; no cars, taxis, trucks or bikes, no strangers, no shops and no rush.......what you can't do today can wait for tomorrow (except now your work which really is not that hard - takeovers and month ends are a bit rough, but the rest is just plain sailing)
Clean air, breathtaking scenery....fishing if you love doing that like me (only on Gough though)

Not all Moonlight and Roses though!
The only challenge (and quite a burden) can be team members which are not 'team players'. Now take this from me; every team will at least have one that either try to make life difficult for the team or that will withdraw. No matter how hard they try to filter this out and try to prevent this from happening you will always have that 'one' and then the challenge of 'that one spreading his venom to another team member'
Being a team leader you have to be strong, very neutral and open minded. Slow to react in a judgement and if you ever feel the need of reporting  any misbehavior you can type out the e-mail but 'sleep over it' before you hit the send button.  It is just a lot harder to deal with conflict and poor discipline on the remote site. The isolation takes its toll on the team members as well, some have serious behavioral change over the extend of the expedition.

If I can change one thing today to help the Department of Environmental affairs I would help them to draw up an all new alcohol policy as this is the root of most uncomfortable issues on the remote site. Alcohol tend to give some people (speaking in general) a lot of courage to speak their minds and to do stupid things. The other thorn in the flesh is 'old team members' who have done an expedition or two and who think they are the hardcore (shit) of the past expeditions. They will then offer 'advice' to youngsters or first time team members and even worse stay in contact throughout the year on e-mail or phone and instigate from outside.

Just think of it; you put 9 team members from different backgrounds (Provinces, cultures and ethnic) in a team and leave them in isolation for 12 months. The whole journey adds up to be 13 months including time on the ship. You will therefore always get regardless of how good a team leader you might have been a 'a group within the team' that will become like brothers. Years later you will still have contact with the once that bonded within the team, and others will just fade away.

Why do I share this today? Just to give you the bigger picture. Someone out there on the forum might be interested in applying for a trip, but it is important to know that there are also a number of hurdles along the way!

However, I love it although this is probably my last trip because of my love for Africa. I need to get a job somewhere up there.....a bonus would be Uganda :)

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2014, 03:52:09 pm »
So true, Tom, so true.  You find the negative influences everywhere.  Perhaps not as exciting as yours but my career takes me to different places every few years and every time there are people, while living a life of relative comfort, who always find fault with their host country and cannot wait to return to South Africa.  And all the time they are busy complaining and with negative speak.  I guess that is life.

But your break with civilization must be very satisfying.  The island, the sea, nature and the birds.  It sounds like total bliss.  It is what I do for holiday so please enjoy.  Back in days Antarctica and the islands had extentions which I could dial from the office.  Family members could speak to their loved ones in isolation by calling a Pretoria number.  How it works nowadays, I don't know, but I know the extention does not exist anymore.  It was scrapped (sadly) when VOIP came in.  Speaking of Africa, before France I was in Kenya which was wonderful for biking (and living in general).  I am not so sure now with the terrorist threats but I guess - some somebody else mentioned earlier - elke job het sy beserings!  Anyway, that phone system served all our embassies in Africa as well and we still had it while I was there 2005-10.  I think it was dismantled 2008 or 2009.  Not sure.  We could do all our business via those lines without any costs.  :thumleft:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »
So true, Tom, so true.  You find the negative influences everywhere.  Perhaps not as exciting as yours but my career takes me to different places every few years and every time there are people, while living a life of relative comfort, who always find fault with their host country and cannot wait to return to South Africa.  And all the time they are busy complaining and with negative speak.  I guess that is life.

But your break with civilization must be very satisfying.  The island, the sea, nature and the birds.  It sounds like total bliss.  It is what I do for holiday so please enjoy.  Back in days Antarctica and the islands had extentions which I could dial from the office.  Family members could speak to their loved ones in isolation by calling a Pretoria number.  How it works nowadays, I don't know, but I know the extention does not exist anymore.  It was scrapped (sadly) when VOIP came in.  Speaking of Africa, before France I was in Kenya which was wonderful for biking (and living in general).  I am not so sure now with the terrorist threats but I guess - some somebody else mentioned earlier - elke job het sy beserings!  Anyway, that phone system served all our embassies in Africa as well and we still had it while I was there 2005-10.  I think it was dismantled 2008 or 2009.  Not sure.  We could do all our business via those lines without any costs.  :thumleft:

We are actually lucky with regards to telephone calls. That very system was great as you mentioned, but they have still managed a very good compromise. Don't ask me how exactly its working nowadays but not too much different. We still have direct line to Cape Town office (only dial the last 4 numbers of an extension) and then the families now dial a Cape Town number to speak to us. We also just pay as if 'Cape Town' call so the CT families have it nice and cheap. I don't particularly like telephones and try to ignore it as much as possible. Whatsapp is my preferred means of communication with my kids and friends.

I have also worked in Kenya but in the North; Marsabit and Turkana - Locichar and surrounds. I have worked for ARDAN Africa and really enjoyed but then my wife unfortunately got sick of waiting and trade me in on a younger model.  :) ARDAN's management thought I needed time to get over the divorce, sent me home and then they also got over me  :imaposer:  :dousing:

Sadly I heard last week that ARDAN is also no more, taken over by a British company called Atlas. I was told (it was a family business) that Mike and Tracey and their kids came to live in CT, and his mom and sister decided to stay behind in Nairobi. They got n lovely place just next to the Game park close to the airport. Giraffe park or something. Mike is a good man, he will get back on his feet agai - ex Zim and over 10 years citizen in Kenya. ARDAN was growing to quickly and I saw this coming....pity.

We are on the same wavelength when it comes to sea, fresh air and the bird and seals.....it truly is awesome and I am grateful to be here. It is just too long but they can't make it shorter and I can understand this. A return trip on the Agulhas 2 to and through any of the 2 Islands or Antarctica works out roughly 5 million bucks. Training of the team, sourcing of the team members and food and medical supplies, mechanical etc. It is one hell of an operation! Like Kobus (Woody1) said right in the beginning of this thread: 'I will do it again in a heartbeat'

Cheers for now!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:50:47 pm by TVB »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
Copernicus, where are you based now? Im moving to Spain next month.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »
Wow! What a life experience for you!

Thanks for sharing!

SPOED  :snorting:
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »
Paris  :biggrin: Not as good as Gough in terms of nature but not a bad break for four years.  :thumleft:
Have you had enough of the Andes?  I want to do a few passes in the Alps this coming summer, starting with Stelvio.  But there are plenty.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:39:15 pm by Copernicus »

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2014, 12:32:38 am »
Paris  :biggrin: Not as good as Gough in terms of nature but not a bad break for four years.  :thumleft:
Have you had enough of the Andes?  I want to do a few passes in the Alps this coming summer, starting with Stelvio.  But there are plenty.

Wow, now you got my attention! The passes in the Alps are just awesome and the quality of the roads amazing. I hope you will be doing a RR!

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2014, 01:09:06 pm »
I will do my best but at this stage I am still waiting for delivery of the bike...

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
Ok back on the Island

Shearwater on her nest, a Tropicalus fur seal entertaining us

Note the Shearwater breeds in burrows

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:35 pm »
I have also got a nice pic on the arctic tern although I could not ajust camera settings in time (still nice)

Werner caught a Klipfish

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2014, 09:00:12 pm »
And then we had to go down with the crane in the personnel carrier to deliver parcels with lab samples that needs to go back to SA.
Quite amazing to see the island like this! Very high as well!