Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 437078 times)

Offline Ri

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2420 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:33 am »
OH. MY. WOOOOOORD that looks AMAZING!!! Wow it is beautiful, even more stars than over the Great Karoo on dark night  :o

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #2421 on: October 14, 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
Those star photos are amazing.  What time exposure did you use?  Always wanted to do a time exposure of the Southern Cross showing the circle it makes, but to much light pollution in the cities.  Those aerials look great

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2422 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:51 am »
Love the stars Tom, reminds me of my first trip to the Okavango, I could not believe the stars.  8)

Thanks Welsh! I believe you, because the only other place I have seen the stars as bright was in Ovamboland. Just unbelievably clear and so full of depth.

OH. MY. WOOOOOORD that looks AMAZING!!! Wow it is beautiful, even more stars than over the Great Karoo on dark night  :o

I still need to see those stars in the Great Karoo angeldog!  :thumleft:

Those star photos are amazing.  What time exposure did you use?  Always wanted to do a time exposure of the Southern Cross showing the circle it makes, but to much light pollution in the cities.  Those aerials look great

Thanks Rodlau! It happened too quick to try and google settings for it and maybe I could have done better (most definitely in the post processing which was a rush but I needed to get it on here before I go to sleep) So the settings I tried or found the best last night was:

ISO 1600
SS 30 seconds
Aperture F4 (Also got a good one on F2.8 when the SS was 25 sec)
I have used the small and sturdy little mini tripot Xpat gave me as the long leg is a 'made in China keep in a cool place version which I bought as an afterthought.....so lesson learned; invest in a Manfrotto tripot  :deal:)

Today I have asked the radio operator Peter to introduce Santjie to captain Clarence on Marine 16. It is good to have solid friendships as he is one of my hero's always delivering our stuff with love from SA. He will go out of his way to collect parcels and so on. Since he is sailing to the North islands on Monday I thought to make use of the opperturnety to rather get the geolocator that our biologists have retrieved from a broad bill prion leg to the ship as well as some other stuff that needs to go back and a medical package with instructions from me to a patient on the ship which obtained severe sunburn in his face. His is Polish and I think most probably an observer or maybe a biologist as well. I did not ask but since the call for me to please assist I knew it must be serious enough and made up a little 'skin burn medical pack. Inside I put some 100 x 100mm burnshield which I recommended he lie down and put the pads/gel on his face for as long as he can and then follow up with 'Silbicor cream' and keep the skin saturated. It is no joke to get badly sunburned on a boat - I assume he was on one of the little powerboats for the day. Also donated an extra bottle of sun cream since I have more than enough. Hope the man will soon be 'a ok', pok it is not lekker to have serious sunburn in the face and neck! 

Herewith a pic:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2423 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:54 am »
Now I miss lying on my back on the gras in the karoo looking at the stars!
I want to do the Nam trip and it seems as if my planning is going to pan out faster than I thought. :thumleft:
You really bring humanity and feeling to whoever you meet or even just come into contact with.
I hope to one day have the honour of your company. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2424 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52:37 pm »
Now I miss lying on my back on the gras in the karoo looking at the stars!
I want to do the Nam trip and it seems as if my planning is going to pan out faster than I thought. :thumleft:
You really bring humanity and feeling to whoever you meet or even just come into contact with.
I hope to one day have the honour of your company. :thumleft:

Thanks Oubones for the kind words, but I even got more admiration for you and my fellow WD friends.
This thread has brought a difference in my life - a good on, all thanks to Woody1 for taking the initiative to start it!

I hope we can all meet in due future and once back I will make sure to attend as many WD bashes as possible.
None of us are sure what the future hold and where to next but let's see how it pans out!

Honestly; I was not in a mood for working today and since I did catch up a great deal already and I feel that one got to have life in balance - needed a break from the food store and spreadsheets.

I did not plan anything and when Jaimie came into the kitchen after checking the Yellow nosed colony I jokingly said; 'good day for fishing mate'
At that time I did not even pay attention to the swell or anything. However, she immideatly took it serious and said 'let's go'
Thought why not and we head off to the water....she has never fished at Gough Island especially not with an artificial lure and handline and I did not really know what to expect. Helped to tie the lure and explained how it works and decided not to interfere and do my own thing.
On her very first trow (cast) I saw she is sort of pulling hard and though: 'o no she has hooked into the rocks' but then I saw the silver from the snoek through the water! She knew and did not even say a thing and just pulled that snoek up! I had to issue warnings for the sharp teeth and so on and showed how to break the neck but well done!
The technical team was also there and it was hard to find space to cast but I did and cought 2 snoek as well. Nothing really big at this stage but this size tastes better to me and they do put up a good fight on rod and reel!

We did not stay long for it is my cooking skivvi today as well. Nt going to do the snoek however because I already have some lobster and steak out - I am going to make fresh brown bread rolls and chips with the lobster tails and steaks - my own version of 'surf a turf'

Just what I needed - tomorrow I will jump right back into that foodstore!

Offline Goingnowherekwickly

« Reply #2425 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:46 pm »

Hi Tom

I've been following your adventures for the last year, & loving the updates & pics!!
Bit of a hiker myself, you sure are lucky having this on your doorstep, when time allows.. those views.. :drif:
Been in the light steel fabrication business myself, the last 17 yrs, if you ever have any queries,
wrt equip, or anything else, feel free to ask, be happy to advise if I can :)

Keep up the good work  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2426 on: October 15, 2017, 11:05:01 pm »

Hi Tom

I've been following your adventures for the last year, & loving the updates & pics!!
Bit of a hiker myself, you sure are lucky having this on your doorstep, when time allows.. those views.. :drif:
Been in the light steel fabrication business myself, the last 17 yrs, if you ever have any queries,
wrt equip, or anything else, feel free to ask, be happy to advise if I can :)

Keep up the good work  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks mate, I really appreciate this and once I have a plan and some ideas about whereto next I'll discuss and get your input and logic. Always good to have someone with the experience to consult with as this may safe me from taking wrong decitions in the 'early days' which is sometimes the crucial days when one to get out of the blocks with business.

Yes I also appreciate when people comment on how fortunate I am to be able to experience this; the hiking, the views, the birds and seals....landscape and round it off with a bit of fishing and fresh seafood. Strangely (I have mentioned this before) it is weird that 'one mans heaven is another mans hell'. Gough Island as well as many other remote sites I have worked can be a jail or freedom..... I will never forget that the day I put my feet in Bunia in the DRC I was greeted by the UN Demining official: 'Welcome to hell'....The DRC turned out to be one of my most favorable beautiful places I have ever been privileged to put foot on!

Yes it is getting long here now and like said I miss my loved ones big time, but I am fortunate. The new team has shift my mind so much more. I was looking up to Tafelkoppie today IVery steep hiking route behind the base and I though; 'that's not really high and steep'. A few weeks back that mountain appeared to be much higher, all got to do with the mood. I recall that Vincent and I climbed Tafelkoppie the first time in 2008 completely unplanned. We looked up and said; 'now way we do that for fun', so we decided to go half way to what is referred to as the 'Golde Highway'. Since we left base it was only 1,5 hours later and we were on the peak! Gough does that to you - one cannot stop as you always want to see how it looks around the next corner. Are most of us here on the forum not also like that? What makes us adventurers? I think exploration has got a lot to do with that! Santjie and I have decided to do a route soon over the Golden highway through the Serengeti (nicknamed area) to see if we can find a route which was used many years back to go to the Glen.

Raining again but Summer is almost here now, we still have cold days but the days are getting longer with less rain and cold.

Goodnight  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2427 on: October 16, 2017, 05:31:18 am »
" Welcome to hell"
It is all in your mind, if all had your positiveness the world would be a much better place.
The guys that were in Koakoland comes to mind, dry and hot but they enjoyed it.
A lot of people cannot understand why someone would want to go there!
When asked what I want to do when I get loose time, I always say that I want to see what is over the hill. :thumleft:
I enjoy the nice vibe that you have there and very glad.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2428 on: October 19, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
The Scuas are cureently breeding on Gough Island and that means that you got to be extra careful as they are very good guardians of their eggs and young.
Unlike the Albatross species they spent a lot of time together and although I do not know them apart (male from female) they also work together in defending the nest.
This one is breeding close to base right next to the catwalk and I have been waiting for a change to get only one parent on or at the nest. Easy to just check one bird and not get suprised by the other one trying to skin you from behind like it happened last year!

Note the beautiful eggs - I had one go at choosing the settings because I do not want to distress the bird too much and literally went 'in and out' taking a burst of shots:

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2429 on: October 19, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »
The other day I got this Sooty Albatross at Crane point - Rather pleased with the pics as it was not even necessary to crop from original. (very close)

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2430 on: October 19, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »
Jou mik en druk in nou in SYNC.... :imaposer:
Pragtige aksie fotos  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2431 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:43 am »
Without a doubt, I declare the Sooty my favorite bird you've photographed.

What a majestic looking creature.  Love the color and detail around the eye.

As always, thank you Mr. McSherry for bringing this part of the world to us.
Toutes les vies comptent

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2432 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:24 pm »
Without a doubt, I declare the Sooty my favorite bird you've photographed.

What a majestic looking creature.  Love the color and detail around the eye.

As always, thank you Mr. McSherry for bringing this part of the world to us.

Thank you buddy  :thumleft:

I have been out to 'Seal beach' this morning, just a quick hike before work and love the fact that 'mount Tafelkoppie' is reflecting in the eye of the Atlantic Yellownosed Albatross! Think I have managed to get a couple of nice Northern Rockhopper pictures as well but will post at a later stage.

Offline Geriatrix

Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2434 on: October 21, 2017, 02:51:19 am »
Thanks doc, good article!  :thumleft:

I did not even get change to finsish editing todays pics. We sorted out the pantry today and Santjie has made a formula which shows now axactly how many food items we have per week for the expedition. For example; there is 50 weeks lest and if there are 150 tins of whole peeled tomato that means that every Monday I need to bring 3 tins from the store to the pantry. This will enable us not to run out of a certain item. The store was never before so well organised.

We also had a field 'Absailing zone' orientation this afternoon by the scientists. That is just to show and familirize us with the areas they are going to work here on the island so if something do go wrong we can go out and do a proper resque without wasting time. We do however trust that it will never be needed but it is always good to be prepared.

After that I continued work till 19H00 in the store. Soon my work will be up to date and then I'll start with regular hiking and also want to fish more the following couple of months.

Enjoy your weekend!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2435 on: October 21, 2017, 03:02:08 am »
Tropicalus seals are also getting ready for the breeding season and there was a couple of big males around...they can be a bit intimidating but I have sort of managed to find a way of moving slowly through the colony without causing to much stress....one got to be careful though. They are beautiful animals - just love them!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2436 on: October 21, 2017, 02:40:46 pm »
Here are a couple more pictures of my Seal beach visit yesterday morning

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2437 on: October 21, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
The last pick of the previous post: Northern Rockhopper penguins going berserk trying to defend their eggs agains a scua.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2438 on: October 21, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »
Norther Rockhopper Penguins got there name from doing just that - very powerful legs and I am always amazed to see where they just manage to go up!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2439 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »
Most on them sit on 2 eggs but generally only raise 1 x chick.

The Subantarctic fur seals: Tropicalus.

Very dangerous and can be real aggressive. Some of the seals on the beach with very bad wounds due to the fighting (prior to breeding season) and the dominance that goes with this. Beautiful mammals though!