Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 436917 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2440 on: October 21, 2017, 03:04:11 pm »
I do have a soft spot for the Penguins - they have a lot of character!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2441 on: October 21, 2017, 03:22:46 pm »
 ;D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2442 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:17 pm »
One thing that will not appeal to many people is us having lunch (in this case a late breakfast) in the field with the Penguins and seals.
I can recall the first ever penguin colony visit at Marion Island 10 years ago - it was Tripot beach and the smell of guano was strong!
Now I am used to the smell, and prefer the smell of penguin shit and the sea breeze over the polluted cities....so yes that vetkoek was good!  ;D

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2443 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:51 pm »
I only used the 60mm Macro lens yeasterday. Took the whole camera bag with all the lenses with but enjoyed the macro lens so much for this kind of photography.
I like the bukeh (creamy background) I sometimes get with the lens.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2444 on: October 22, 2017, 07:56:20 am »
Ja daai reuk kan bietjie sterk wees maar soos jy se jy raak hom gewoond.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

« Reply #2445 on: October 22, 2017, 05:53:03 pm »
Those action shots of the rockhopper penguins are delightful  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2446 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:45 pm »
My daughter's birthday today, and I decided to bake cake for the team and celebrate her special day with her.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2447 on: October 24, 2017, 08:33:30 pm »
Always take the camera with when I work in the foodstore and herewith a few shots down at crane point.

Can't believe how time flies - Nicolene is 25 today!

Offline Ri

« Reply #2448 on: October 24, 2017, 08:35:14 pm »
Congratulations Tom, may she bring jou love and joy for many more years!

That photo of the bird that caught the fish...  :eek7: EPIC

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2449 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:20 pm »
And yes there are always (almost always) Sooty Albatross and the 4th one is a Scua. Scuas are all the other birds worst nightmare - they are mean predators  :3some:

I need to go out tomorrow to help with work on the Atlantic Yellow nosed Albatross but seems we are going to get wet.....rain in the forecast from 10am on  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2450 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:49 pm »
Congratulations Tom, may she bring jou love and joy for many more years!

That photo of the bird that caught the fish...  :eek7: EPIC

Thank you Ri!  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2451 on: October 24, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »
Congrats and they grow up too fast.
Even so they our baby girls. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2452 on: October 24, 2017, 09:01:47 pm »
Congrats and they grow up too fast.
Even so they our baby girls. :thumleft:

Thanks Oubones  :thumleft:

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #2453 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:55 pm »
Been away and couldn't wait to catch up.  Those seals seem to have a look on their face that says "bugger you Jack, I am okay".  .  Congrats on you daughters birthday.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2454 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:31 pm »
Those Sooty's  :drif:

Hey Tom, because of your thread and amazing pics, I answered a Jeopardy question last night :imaposer:

Jeopardy showed a pic of a Tristan Albatross asking what species of bird.  I answered correctly and looked very intelligent in front of the room full of people :imaposer:
Toutes les vies comptent

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2455 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:10 pm »
Been away and couldn't wait to catch up.  Those seals seem to have a look on their face that says "bugger you Jack, I am okay".  .  Congrats on you daughters birthday.

Thanks Rodlau!  :thumleft:

Hey Tom, because of your thread and amazing pics, I answered a Jeopardy question last night :imaposer:

Jeopardy showed a pic of a Tristan Albatross asking what species of bird.  I answered correctly and looked very intelligent in front of the room full of people :imaposer:

:laughing4: :laughing4: Good on you buddy  :thumleft:

The Tristan Albatross and Wanderer Albatross looks very much the same, and I am glad that the 'Tristan Albatross' which is endangered (come to think of it; the Wanderer also endangered but higher in number than the Tristan Albatross) made it onto a quiz!! Will make more people aware of these brilliant seabirds!!  :thumleft:

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2456 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:08 am »

Thanks Rodlau!  :thumleft:

:laughing4: :laughing4: Good on you buddy  :thumleft:

The Tristan Albatross and Wanderer Albatross looks very much the same, and I am glad that the 'Tristan Albatross' which is endangered (come to think of it; the Wanderer also endangered but higher in number than the Tristan Albatross) made it onto a quiz!! Will make more people aware of these brilliant seabirds!!  :thumleft:

For sure mate :thumleft:
Toutes les vies comptent

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #2457 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:46 am »
Hey, your daughter and my wife share a birthday. My wife has had a lot more of them though ;)

Congratulations :thumleft:

My little baby boy turned 18 last week. How time flies!
For the love of it.

Offline Stormer

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
« Reply #2458 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »
TVB,

Thanks for this thread. I took me 3 months to read it till the end. It reads like a good story which you wish will never end. When I got to the section where you started to give dates for your arrival back in Cape Town, it was in the same time that you would have arrived. On the one hand I was glad that this is getting to the end so that I can do some work. On the other end I did not want this to end. And I didn't want to turn to the last page (post) to see what happened. And then the "good" news. The story is not finished yet. A few more months of photo's and experience.  :computer:  :alien:

Thanks for staying a couple of more months just to keep us entertained.  :thumleft:

I don't know how much information you can share but can you give some info around the following topics?
* What is the daily/weekly/monthly routine of the different groups of people
* How does the people know what they need to do? Is there a guideline or a project plan that they work towards?
* What does the scientist do in winter when the birds and seals are gone?
* Maybe a job description/role of the different groups of people

And don't get me started on the photography. I have done some photography and tried taking photo's of birds and if I can get a photo half as good as yours I will be ecstatic.

A friend of my parents went to Marion in the very early 80's. I was about 6 or 7 and all that I can remember when we went to fetch him was this big "bos" red hair and a huge red beard. I don't know what happened to him but I think he did a second round on Marion a few years later.

You have not missed much in the couple of months that you were gone. Still the same president. The rand still in sy m@#r. Crime still high etc. etc. etc.

Once again thanks for keeping us entertained.

"While the Swiss may have invented the clock itís good old Mama Africa that owns the time." - Kingsley Holgate - Afrika The Outside Edge

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2459 on: October 26, 2017, 11:49:59 pm »
TVB,

Thanks for this thread. I took me 3 months to read it till the end. It reads like a good story which you wish will never end. When I got to the section where you started to give dates for your arrival back in Cape Town, it was in the same time that you would have arrived. On the one hand I was glad that this is getting to the end so that I can do some work. On the other end I did not want this to end. And I didn't want to turn to the last page (post) to see what happened. And then the "good" news. The story is not finished yet. A few more months of photo's and experience.  :computer:  :alien:

Thanks for staying a couple of more months just to keep us entertained.  :thumleft:

I don't know how much information you can share but can you give some info around the following topics?
* What is the daily/weekly/monthly routine of the different groups of people
* How does the people know what they need to do? Is there a guideline or a project plan that they work towards?

And don't get me started on the photography. I have done some photography and tried taking photo's of birds and if I can get a photo half as good as yours I will be ecstatic.

A friend of my parents went to Marion in the very early 80's. I was about 6 or 7 and all that I can remember when we went to fetch him was this big "bos" red hair and a huge red beard. I don't know what happened to him but I think he did a second round on Marion a few years later.

You have not missed much in the couple of months that you were gone. Still the same president. The rand still in sy m@#r. Crime still high etc. etc. etc.

Once again thanks for keeping us entertained.

Hello Stormer!

Thanks for the post, and it is always nice to get feedback from 'my/our story' here on Gough Island.
We are getting a lot of rain recently, every time more than the forecast and I am talking 84mm overnight, and last nights 76mm and I think the forecast was 60.
This is causing a lot of flooding and water supplies issues but this team is jacked up and you will hear no moans....nothing. You will just see the guys getting their waterproofs on and hike up the steep mountain to what we refer to as the 'dam'. It is however only a small puddle in the river and even the river is nor relay a 'river' by SA standards but more like a mountain stream. My internet is very bad because of the rain currently, since the satellite dish is inside a dome and it just causes issues wrt to the signal. I have tried to update the thread yesterday and also earlier today with some pics but nothing. I really hope this goes through.

* What is the daily/weekly/monthly routine of the different groups of people:

Let's start with the medic because I happen to know him good  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
WRT hour I do not have a fixed routing hour wise. People that has been here during take over can confirm that although I was alone and therefore had a double workload I never called 'consulting hours'. I am always available, day and knight for anyone and even back home the same rule applies. So I am mainly and primarily responsible for the medical welbeing of the team, but there is no hours fixed to it. Some medics will have 'consulting hours' and I am not judging them, but for me it does not work and I am available 24/7. However; the 10 member team should be fairly healthy as all went through a medical screening prior to deployment. So I do not often see patients or it will be more of routine visits to issue them foot powder, medical soap (maybe) and in the same go check their blood pressure and other vitals.
Medics biggest work which is very time consuming is the food rations: No one is allowed in the food store and the store is now kept locked (was always like this, we have tried to do away but did not work) Once a week we will do 'shopping' and I had to work out exactly how much of every food item we have per week. So if there is a request for example for 10 tins of tomato and onion mix and my computer says sorry there is only 6 tins per week then that is what I will allow to go out and imideatly update on the computer as well. I also have to handle the frozen items on the same basis and that includes butter, meat, fish, vegetables, cheese, bread and so on. So this is taking a lot of time especially if you want to do it right.

Other than that every team member must be willing to help the rest and I went out with Jaimie (for example) yesterday to assist in deploying geo locators on the Atlantic yellownosed Albatross. This is not compulsory but if I did not go, and she could maybe not find someone else then her scientific work would have been delayed as the other 2 were already out on another task. So sometimes I will go with them, sometimes I will help in the store with sanding and painting or even welding....the more mulitkilled you are the better change you will get another opperturnety on the remote site.

Lastly I also do HSE...Yes I have no qualifications for it but I have been given a handbook, some spreadsheets and common sense. I have also done a lot of HSE in Africa for the housekeeping company I was working for back in the day.

Mechanic: He needs to keep his generators running. No fixed hours (like office hours) but he has tasks and checks and sometimes services and repairs and he then works till his job is finished which can extend into the night for example. One day our one Deutz motor caught fire 3am. We extinguished the fire and Vincent told us he is ok we must go back to bed he will get ready to fix the motor the next day. 7am he did not pitch for breakfast (we always had breakfast together) I walked down and found him packing the tools away, making ready to start the engine. He never went back to bed and fixed the machine. So you need to be self driven and motivated person which can work without direct supervision all the time.
The diesel mac also do all the general maintenance in the base except for electrical.

Electrisien: The sparky is responsible for all the electrical maintenance and also double up as a plumber. Not much to say here, straight forward.

Radio tech (communication engineer) : This person is responsible to run the comunications system and also needs to monitor the field workers on radio and relay a message sometimes especialy wrt safety/medical need. He also needs to make coms with ships, Tristan da Cunha island and keep the satellite system open and running (includes the telephone) Not hard work but can be very stressful at times when the system goes down and he needs to do fault finding as there is a lot that can go wrong.

Meteorologists: Works 4 day shifts, 4 night and 4 off (3 of them) They are on a very strict routine and need to do hourly observations as well as upper air (Hydrogen balloon with radio-sent) The senior meteorologist this year is also the team leader and therefore she has a LOT on her plate but never complains and do a lot of helping in the field as well.

3 field workers: They get their tasks weekly by e mail and conference call and the nature of their work is sometimes sensitive in the way that that need to do something on a specific day regardless of weather. They work very hard physically, up early every morning and for example: when Jaimie asked me to help we left the base at 7am and return only lunch time. An then they go out again, and most days just have lunch in the field and stay out. Then they also need to do do base skivvis with us including their cooking skivvis and so on.

Yes each and everyone has got a detailed contract which literally spells out in detail what you need to do and what is expected of you. It is very specific

They continue with the main task of alien plant (Sagina) eradication and do a lot of rope work and spraying of herbicides with a diy which helps them to identify where they have already worked. They cannot apply a blanket spray and needs to spray only the alien plants. There are some species of birds in the Winter though, and they will for instance do a lot of night birding.

Ok I see I have sort of covered it above!

I had a smile at the 'bearded' islander from Marion. Yes till recent years it was a tradition not to shave for a year, but it is rare now. Most 'old' traditions has died but we are doing our best to 'relive' it in this team: Gough 63. Santjie is a very good influence and leader and it is great to be part of this team. I am going to be honest here; I am a bit homesick and I am not letting it show (important) It's been a long year and now it's just great but I do have a family and I am looking forward to go back. Yes grateful for a few months extra income, it will take some stress off me but yes I miss my son and daughter and friends. This team is making it easier for me though, and I am having a good expedition/experience with them.

The good news to all my friends out there: There is going to be a book with a selection of good pictures sometime after this contract. I will try to find a publisher that is not too expensive but can still deliver good quality so that the book will be affortble  :thumleft: