Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland  (Read 436919 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: TVB op vakansie na Gough Eiland
« Reply #2460 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:38 am »
I went with Jaimie early morning to deploy 'Geo locators' on a number of Atlantic yellow-noses albatross that have a reliable breeding record.
These locators are very expensive at 100 British pounds each and they have worked very hard to get sponsors to buy all of these.
They will need to retrieve these geo locators in one yearís time - and she hopes to get 100% return on them.
There will be very useful scientific data such as the birdís tract to the preferred feeding ground, sea temp ++

She also showed me how to read the band numbers without distracting the birds - slowly approach from the front and gently put out your hand and then read the band number. I even got myself into waterproof gear today as rain was forecast, but that low pressure only caught up this afternoon with us and we also managed to go to Prion cave to do census on the prions. We have Broad bill prions and Mcgilvery prions on Gough breeding.

Some Yellow-nosed albatrosses were a bit stressed and she gave me the egg while she quickly attached the geo locator and then gently put the egg back. Luckily we had no accidents, all went well.

We also found one bird breeding 2 eggs which is not common at all and although I have seen it once before (G60) only one chick made it. There is just space for one chick in a nest and then the parents (I think) find it hard to feed 2 x chicks.   I am not selling this as gospel but since the Atlantic yellow-nosed only lays 1 egg it may be a male paring up with 2 x females and both the females then lay the egg in the same nest. One female will not take the nest over (breeding session) from another female and in the end this just does not work.

We have also spotted some nests with mice holes entering in the bottom and these mice will then tunnel up and eat the Albatross (babies) from the bottom...all these have been recorded on cameras before. Sad and I hope and trust that the mice eradication will be a success.

Next post I will try to add pictures but the internet is very slow and time out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:27:27 am by Tom van Brits »

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2461 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:41 am »
Very interesting, it is truly an amazing experience to be able to get such insight into life there, firsthand.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #2462 on: October 27, 2017, 06:38:08 am »
Thanks for more detail on the daily activities, Tom.

I can see why it becomes an issue if someone is not pulling their weight or just being negative.

Cabin fever is always going to be there but you've worked around this by engrossing yourself in your duties and assisting others in theirs. Good one  :thumleft:

Most of us read your posts but don't always reply. Just think of us as listeners if you don't get any reaction. Also, putting things down is a sort of record keeping (to be used for your book) as well as a sort of catharsis (releasing emotions)

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Ri

« Reply #2463 on: October 27, 2017, 06:46:05 am »
Most of us read your posts but don't always reply. Just think of us as listeners if you don't get any reaction.

What he says. For me, I don't want to litter your thread with inanities, but if you need us, just shout.  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2464 on: October 27, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
The good news to all my friends out there: There is going to be a book with a selection of good pictures sometime after this contract. I will try to find a publisher that is not too expensive but can still deliver good quality so that the book will be affortble  :thumleft:

That's good news Tom.

Just a thought, based on my own recent publishing experience, you can reduce costs quite substantially by self publishing. So perhaps look into that (something else to learn when you run out of things to do between 02:00 and 06:00 in the morning  :biggrin:).

Although I would recommend getting someone professional, or at least good at English (which I was not for example), to edit the book. This is the most difficult/time consuming  thing in the whole process IMO. It takes much longer than you think.

The actual mechanism of self publishing is actually quite easy, at least it was for an ebook novel. Just compose the book in Word, and then use Calibre (special freeware software) to convert the Word file into an ebook file (I used .epub). You then just open an account with Amazon, and upload the file via their website. If people know about your book it could be selling within seconds thereafter (EDIT: actually it usually takes an hour or so before the book appears in their store).

I somehow suspect that good photo's might even look better on a tablet than they would on paper? So maybe the ebook holds more possibilities when it comes to embedded media?

In fact you could use this thread to let us know before hand and we could even pre-order the book before its available (Amazon has quite a lot of options in that regard).

You will need a book cover (I made my own) and you will need to think very long and hard about the "blurb" which is the short text intro that is usually printed on the back of the book which tells potential readers what the book is about. These two things (the cover and the blurb) are the two things that people use to decide whether they want to read the book - usually they like the cover for some reason, and then pick the book up and read the blurb on the back - based on that they decide whether they will buy it.

Amazon also offer a print on demand version lately. To use that you need to download their pre-formatted Word template and then carefully fill that with your content without wrecking the Word formatting (Word can be very finicky about this). You also need to use their book cover art template to create a matching book cover. Once you upload those both back up to Amazon and they accept it, their system basically will generate and print a complete proper paperback book on demand every time someone orders one. I ordered one of mine and it came out perfect  :thumleft: Just like the books you can buy at Exclusive Books!     

Just some arbitrary random thoughts that might help.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:55:43 pm by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2465 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »
Thanks Alan for a lot of useful information here that is definitely going to help me once I am getting ready for publishing!
I hope to get a lot more useful material in the following months; photos and information/stories.
I have decided to start soon and open a file where I can list different subjects with the best relevant pictures sush as 'history, life on the remote site, birds, hikes and so on. Once I got everything together and sorted the layout I will need to get someone to do the English editing for me. I know that is going to cost but I need this book to be professional before publishing. There will definitely be 2 options, digital and hard copy and I like the idea that the reader can decide which option he/she would like to purchase. Thank you very much for your post  :thumleft:

I have been trying now for 2 days to upload pictures of the 'deployment of the geo locators' and a few more but the internet times out between 17 and 30% upload. I hope this will get better soon. FB uploads are rather easy as you select the pictures to be uploaded and it will continue from where it timed out. Sometimes takes hours but it always works. Will try again at a later stage.

Enjoy the weekend!  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2466 on: October 27, 2017, 04:23:32 pm »
There will definitely be 2 options, digital and hard copy and I like the idea that the reader can decide which option he/she would like to purchase. Thank you very much for your post

:thumleft:

If you click on the link in my signature you will see how Amazon allows people to choose which option (print or ebook) they want.

The nice thing is that you only have to write the book once.

Getting the formatting right for the print option was bit more tricky (you need to ensure their Word template doesnt go wonky as you add your content, but it was still relatively simple really.

And in any event, if you make a mistake its easy enough to just upload the corrected file later on. (I must have uploaded hundreds of corrections for my book, as I discovered them.)

Also with your impressive Lghtroom skills you should be able to make your own nice cover art. 

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #2467 on: October 28, 2017, 12:11:26 am »
Great news about the book.  I am an ardent fan of ebooks.  So easy and of course much more affordable..  I will certainly be getting a copy.  The latest Kindle ebooks readers give good quality pictures.  And of course you can read the book on your Kindle minutes after buying it.  Eish, Internet and electronics has certainly made our lives a lot easier.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #2468 on: October 28, 2017, 03:19:56 am »
Hey Tom.

I have discussed this with Mrs Zog, and she is in full agreement with me. Here is our proposal;

You write your book, the way you want it. Then when it is done, you forward the manuscript to Mrs Zog, who is a professional copyeditor. She will edit the text of your book free, gratis, mahala. Then she will return it to you, ready for publishing.

You see Tom, you were one of the people that so selflessly contributed to the GoFundMe account that Mrs Zog set up to get my son to come visit me for Christmas. ( https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad ). There is no way that we could ever even dream of being able to pay back the money donated by so many extremely generous people, but this would be a way to at least give back not only to you, but also to all the WD's that purchase your book. By doing the editing free, your costs will be greatly reduced, which in turn will make the book all the more affordable for more WD's (and others), which will lead to more sales.

Just a small way that we can show our gratitude to all those, you included, that have made the dream for me to see my son, come true.

Offer is open.  :deal:  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:23:26 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Phillip Flap, Tom van Brits

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #2469 on: October 28, 2017, 03:25:15 am »
Yep, totally. Offer stands for free copyediting.  :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Rodlau, frankmac, Oubones

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2470 on: October 28, 2017, 06:49:37 am »
And there was dust in the air due to you guys great hearts!
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
I have been on Wd's a while now, but am still amazed by the great people here.
Thanks guys.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Philemon

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My pack
« Reply #2471 on: October 28, 2017, 09:04:20 am »
A true reflection of "The circle of life"

That is amazingly generous of both of you.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.  .  .  .  .  .  Leonardo da Vinci

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #2472 on: October 28, 2017, 09:34:06 am »
Go digital Tom, much cheaper production and distribution input costs. 

Offline Ri

« Reply #2473 on: October 28, 2017, 10:10:53 am »
Sooooo cool thanks Mr & Mrs Zog  :biggrin: Like you say, copy editing is a HUGE cost, because it takes so much time!

And for the few Dogs like me, who want a beautiful coffee table book printed on glossy paper, that we can show off to our friends and say "I know this guy!!", I'll find a way. I'm thinking large pages of high quality image prints ... it's going to be a THICK book ...  :drif:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2474 on: October 28, 2017, 12:24:19 pm »
Hey Tom.

I have discussed this with Mrs Zog, and she is in full agreement with me. Here is our proposal;

You write your book, the way you want it. Then when it is done, you forward the manuscript to Mrs Zog, who is a professional copyeditor. She will edit the text of your book free, gratis, mahala. Then she will return it to you, ready for publishing.

You see Tom, you were one of the people that so selflessly contributed to the GoFundMe account that Mrs Zog set up to get my son to come visit me for Christmas. ( https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad ). There is no way that we could ever even dream of being able to pay back the money donated by so many extremely generous people, but this would be a way to at least give back not only to you, but also to all the WD's that purchase your book. By doing the editing free, your costs will be greatly reduced, which in turn will make the book all the more affordable for more WD's (and others), which will lead to more sales.

Just a small way that we can show our gratitude to all those, you included, that have made the dream for me to see my son, come true.

Offer is open.  :deal:  :thumleft:

Yep, totally. Offer stands for free copyediting.  :biggrin:

:o Mr and Mrs Zog....words fail me. I sometimes wish there was a word or expression more powerful than 'thank you'. Something that carried more weigh??? I am sure you understand what I am trying to say here. I really do appreciate the generous offer and once I am ready I'll be in touch!!

Thank you in advance once again!!  :thumleft:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2475 on: October 28, 2017, 04:31:26 pm »
Nou roer jou gat my maat. Ek soek daai boek.
Dankie familie Zog.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline ethanvr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2476 on: October 29, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »
A digital book does not work well on a coffee table.  I would buy the book for the photographs because I would never be able to visit the island.

I printed a coffee table book of our Canada trip, now we page through it often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #2477 on: October 29, 2017, 01:58:39 pm »
A digital book does not work well on a coffee table.  I would buy the book for the photographs because I would never be able to visit the island.

Thanks for your input 'ethanvr', and I get what you are saying but there will be 2 x books.

1: A good look into the remote site expeditions which tells the story: History, the voyage, 'life' and it includes a good selection of pictures.
This book will be suitable for e-readers and for those that love a printed version there will be an option to order one. This book I consider to be the most popular and also then the more affordable read.

2: The 'coffee table book' will be 'photos only'. The best selection of pictures of the island, seabirds and landscape. I do not expect this book to be the big seller and will probably only print and post on request but it will be good quality print on 'glossy paper' like Ri said!  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

« Reply #2478 on: October 29, 2017, 08:04:36 pm »

Thanks for your input 'ethanvr', and I get what you are saying but there will be 2 x books.

1: A good look into the remote site expeditions which tells the story: History, the voyage, 'life' and it includes a good selection of pictures.
This book will be suitable for e-readers and for those that love a printed version there will be an option to order one. This book I consider to be the most popular and also then the more affordable read.

2: The 'coffee table book' will be 'photos only'. The best selection of pictures of the island, seabirds and landscape. I do not expect this book to be the big seller and will probably only print and post on request but it will be good quality print on 'glossy paper' like Ri said!  :thumleft:

Pokkit nee man, my "glossy" moet ook 'n storie in hÍ  :dousing:
Of dan darem iets sÍ van die eiland en die voŽls. :deal:

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #2479 on: October 30, 2017, 06:55:12 am »
Stem saam.  Kan die e-book wat mooi ge-edit is  nie net gestuur word vir PRINT nie ?

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600